Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more like New York?
Pennsylvania 128 77.58%
New England 37 22.42%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 07:36 AM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Pennsylvania, easily. Both states are vastly rural, conservative and rusty. New England is much more compact and cities and towns are less spread out, and it's much more liberal and less "country" cultured.
NY fits this description? Hmmm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2020, 08:12 AM

12,162 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Rural Upstate and Rural PA feel similar.

New England rural areas are polar opposite. A bit more refined for sure.

Old 12-11-2020, 09:25 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Rural Upstate and Rural PA feel similar.

New England rural areas are polar opposite. A bit more refined for sure.
Exactly. In much of rural New England, people tend to be more sophisticated, have higher incomes and value higher education. Rural New England is a little more white collar than rural NY and PA. I grew up and am native to rural CT and have traveled all over the northeast extensively.

I would say, however, that most of Maine is more similar to rural NY and PA. Rural Maine is very low income, low property values, low educational attainment.

Old 12-11-2020, 09:28 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
NY fits this description? Hmmm...
Well if you look at the latest election results, the vast majority of NY State is red. Not so much in New England.

By "rusty" I mean rust belt like.

Old 12-11-2020, 10:31 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
By that perspective there no densely populated states except New Jersey? In Massachusetts you’re never more than 40 minutes from a densely populated city. You’re never more than maybe 25 minutes from a town center.. that’s not normal except for CT RI NJ MA. The four most densely populated states. Pennsylvania and New York are muuuuuch more rural.
You realize that Pennsylvania and New York have settlements all over their respective states too, though, right? Certainly you're never more than 25 minutes from a "town center" in the entirety of Pennsylvania and New York, too, just as you've described Massachusetts.

As you're well aware, Southern New England is in a very different boat than Northern New England. In ME, NH and VT, urban is most definitely the exception, not the rule, so again, the region is far from uniform in its development patterns, even less consistent than the Mid-Atlantic in that regard.

Quote:
I also don’t think there’s many places more liberal in any sense than MA besides CA and WA. whatever “conservatism†there is isn’t based on religion or even morality. It just comes down to QOL.
I'm not sure what your reference to QOL means in this context. Religiosity or morality don't necessarily have to be precursors to conservatism.

Quote:
To say MA and CT and semi conservatives somewhat rural answer confront jive with the empirical data or the laws they have on the book. Even if a mid Atlantic City is structurally dense its probably lower to the ground in average building height and not as densely populated or maybe similarly densely populated. CT cities are especially dense.as are many small cities bordering Noston.
Even comparing comparably sized cities, such as Allentown and New Bedford, you see a pretty stark divergence in population density. Here's a handful of examples:

Allentown, PA: 6,918 people/sq. mi.

New Bedford, MA 3,900 people/sq. mi.

Springfield, MA: 4,820 people/sq. mi.

Reading, PA: 8,978 people/sq. mi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well if you look at the latest election results, the vast majority of NY State is red. Not so much in New England.

By "rusty" I mean rust belt like.
I think you're grossly oversimplifying. Again, outside of New England's metro areas (plus most of Vermont, because it's Vermont), you're still more likely to find lower educational attainment, lower incomes, and a higher propensity to vote Republican.

The region also suffers from lower/declining populations, declining investments, and relative blight, as well.

I certainly don't get a uniform image of prosperity from a place like Springfield (https://goo.gl/maps/qZXQfVhB1rLeoEUMA) or Torrington (https://goo.gl/maps/2HN8gxsYksaij3pHA) that you seem to be implying.

I'll grant you that New England excels in the rural resort town category compared to rural PA or NY, but let's not pretend that the region has been immune from decline. Far from it.

Last edited by Duderino; 12-11-2020 at 10:49 AM..

Old 12-11-2020, 10:44 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Allentown, PA: 6,918 people/sq. mi.

New Bedford, MA 3,900 people/sq. mi.

Springfield, MA: 4,820 people/sq. mi.

Reading, PA: 8,978 people/sq. mi.
Did you intentionally pick 2 that are a bit less dense? Like Lowell is 7,842 and Lawrence is 11,027.

Old 12-11-2020, 11:20 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,313,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Did you intentionally pick 2 that are a bit less dense? Like Lowell is 7,842 and Lawrence is 11,027.

Pennsylvania cities are in many ways just as old as those of NE, and built just as densely.

It is certainly not unique to NE, whatsoever.

Pennsylvania rowhome architecture is quite predominate, even in its smaller cities and towns, and reflect the high density of the cores.

Lancaster, PA is 8,200/sq mi as another example.

Old 12-11-2020, 11:40 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,038,878 times
True, but Scranton is 3,000. Harrisburg is 6,000. Hartford is 7,000. Providence is 9,700.

I just think Duderino was cherry-picking a bit with the cities they named.

Old 12-11-2020, 11:45 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
I intentionally picked cities that are much more removed, or periphery to, major metro areas, since the conversation has turned to a more non-metro comparison of both regions. Honestly was no intent in the comparison other than location and size.

Old 12-11-2020, 11:50 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
New Bedford and Fall River are only less dense because like half the land is uninhabitable protected park/forest. The actually cities are dense. Same with Quincy Misleading number IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City