Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more like New York?
Pennsylvania 128 77.58%
New England 37 22.42%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2022, 03:09 PM

14,164 posts, read 9,054,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
German and Dutch, yes definitely. But Eastern European? Are New York State and PA so much more Polish, Greek, Russian, etc than New England?
I believe you've shown some Polish businesses in Massachusetts, but I don't recall seeing any of those groups in the concentrations I find them in the city of Philadelphia alone.

I suspect there certainly aren't enough Russians in Boston for, say, Comcast Xfinity to run ads for cable service in Russian on the backs of local buses. I've seen such an ad here in Philadelphia, where at least two supermarkets in the Northeast part of the city are Russian-American-owned and operated and cater to Russian tastes.

The Slovene national fraternal organization is based outside Pittsburgh, in the only borough in the state with a population of zero (the society formed it because its recreation and community center is located in a dry township and the organization wanted to obtain a liquor license for it).

There are, however, two more Greek Orthodox churches in Massachusetts than in Pennsylvania.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2022, 03:43 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,591,685 times
Pennsylvania and NY I believe have heavier concentrations of Slovak, Slovenian, Hungarian, and Ukrainian Americans. A remnant of heavier "second wave" industrial and manufacturing hubs (or in PA's case, coal mining towns).

Old 08-07-2022, 03:52 PM

93,241 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
German and Dutch, yes definitely. But Eastern European? Are New York State and PA so much more Polish, Greek, Russian, etc than New England?

Syracuse seems like it would match better with New Haven, though perhaps Allentown could be a good comp too?
I'd say more New Haven due to similar demographics, a major university and a similar city proper population.

Old 08-07-2022, 05:09 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,036,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Pennsylvania and NY I believe have heavier concentrations of Slovak, Slovenian, Hungarian, and Ukrainian Americans. A remnant of heavier "second wave" industrial and manufacturing hubs (or in PA's case, coal mining towns).
I actually looked up some numbers and they line up with this. PA actually has a much larger percent of folks reporting Slovak ancestry than NY or NewE. The latter two have higher Greek, Albanian, and Russian percentages.

Out of 1000 people reporting a single ancestry, about 92ish reported some kind of Eastern ancestry in PA versus 80ish in NY and 65ish in New England.

Might post the actual data later. I saved it, but then ditched my laptop.

Old 08-08-2022, 07:18 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,591,685 times
Quote:
I actually looked up some numbers and they line up with this. PA actually has a much larger percent of folks reporting Slovak ancestry than NY or NewE. The latter two have higher Greek, Albanian, and Russian percentages.

Out of 1000 people reporting a single ancestry, about 92ish reported some kind of Eastern ancestry in PA versus 80ish in NY and 65ish in New England.

Might post the actual data later. I saved it, but then ditched my laptop.
Very interesting, thanks for the info! I guess it does really come down to individual ethnicities/nationalities.

My thinking was the Eastern European heritage, while of course existing in New England, may have somewhat more visible culture/concentrations in PA and NY (although that's increasingly a thing of the past, as most ethnic white identity is becoming). It would be cool to see an actual breakdown of statistics, though.

Old 08-08-2022, 08:14 AM

111 posts, read 68,425 times
NYC - mix of both Boston and Philly, depending on the neighborhood, but I'd say overall more like Boston

Long Island - southern Connecticut

Westchester - North Jersey and southern Connecticut (definitely more New England than PA)

Lower Hudson east (Putnam Dutchess Columbia) - Northwest Connecticut

Lower Hudson west (Rockland Orange Sullivan Ulster) - Northeast PA Poconos area

Albany Troy Schenectady Capital region - Western Massachusetts

Far Upstate NY towards Ottawa Canada - Northern New England especially Vermont

Finger Lakes area Syracuse Utica area - mixed bag, due to being between Albany and Buffalo/Rochester, maybe more similar to Pa and Ohio due to being slightly more like Buffalo than Albany

Southern Tier Binghamton area and westward on top of PA border - northern/northeast Pennsylvania

Western NY Buffalo Rochester Niagara area - Northwest PA and Northeast Ohio, very similar to Cleveland and Erie

Old 08-08-2022, 09:01 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,625,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRPRCubaSpain View Post
NYC - mix of both Boston and Philly, depending on the neighborhood, but I'd say overall more like Boston

Long Island - southern Connecticut

Westchester - North Jersey and southern Connecticut (definitely more New England than PA)

Lower Hudson east (Putnam Dutchess Columbia) - Northwest Connecticut

Lower Hudson west (Rockland Orange Sullivan Ulster) - Northeast PA Poconos area

Albany Troy Schenectady Capital region - Western Massachusetts

Far Upstate NY towards Ottawa Canada - Northern New England especially Vermont

Finger Lakes area Syracuse Utica area - mixed bag, due to being between Albany and Buffalo/Rochester, maybe more similar to Pa and Ohio due to being slightly more like Buffalo than Albany

Southern Tier Binghamton area and westward on top of PA border - northern/northeast Pennsylvania

Western NY Buffalo Rochester Niagara area - Northwest PA and Northeast Ohio, very similar to Cleveland and Erie
This is the right answer, folks. All this debate for nothing lol. NY is a large state, just depends which part you're in...

Old 08-08-2022, 11:08 AM

111 posts, read 68,425 times
One thing I can add, is that much of EASTERN Pennsylvania (outside Philly) and Southern New England is more Hispanic than much of New York (outside of NYC/southern NY). And these areas have more Hispanic dominance compared to much smaller black populations, areas like Lawrence, Providence, Springfield, Holyoke, Hartford, Bridgeport, Allentown, Reading, Lancaster etc represent this, they are more Hispanic than black, in comparison to places in much of nonNYC New York like Albany, Schenectady, Troy, Syracuse, Utica, Binghamton, Rochester, Buffalo, and the rest of PA (Philly, Pittsburgh, Erie, Harrisburg).

I think much of PA (outside of Philly and parts of eastern PA) and much of NY (outside of NYC and southern NY) are very similar to Northeast Ohio, the way the houses and streets look, demographics and culture. Even the Albany capital region and the Syracuse/Utica area have some similarities with New England, but there's also some notable similarities with Pa/Ohio. For example, the city of Albany has a black majority, specifically African American, something very hard to find in New England especially outside of Connecticut, but similar to say Harrisburg PA or Youngstown Ohio. Also, rowhomes are somewhat abundant in the Albany area, uncommon in most parts of NY state but similar to Pennsylvania and Maryland.

Also the Italian/Irish presence, tho big in NY and PA, it feels 'bigger' in New England (and NJ). NYC is probably the most diverse city in the country, but there's many groups large in NYC that aren't really present in much of the rest of the state. After, NYC, it would be Boston then Philadelphia in terms of demographic diversity. Tho, there's groups present in Boston (and many other parts of New England) in large numbers not really present in NYC like Cape Verdeans, Portuguese, French Canadians etc. Other groups like Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Jamaicans, Haitians, Chinese are present in major cities throughout the entire Northeast region in varying amounts.

Old 08-08-2022, 11:31 AM

6,807 posts, read 6,036,414 times
Quote:
For example, the city of Albany has a black majority.
Great post! My quick search says that Albany is only 29% black, though.

Old 08-08-2022, 11:33 AM

93,241 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
One thing I can add, is that much of EASTERN Pennsylvania (outside Philly) and Southern New England is more Hispanic than much of New York (outside of NYC/southern NY). And these areas have more Hispanic dominance compared to much smaller black populations, areas like Lawrence, Providence, Springfield, Holyoke, Hartford, Bridgeport, Allentown, Reading, Lancaster etc represent this, they are more Hispanic than black, in comparison to places in much of nonNYC New York like Albany, Schenectady, Troy, Syracuse, Utica, Binghamton, Rochester, Buffalo, and the rest of PA (Philly, Pittsburgh, Erie, Harrisburg).

I think much of PA (outside of Philly and parts of eastern PA) and much of NY (outside of NYC and southern NY) are very similar to Northeast Ohio, the way the houses and streets look, demographics and culture. Even the Albany capital region and the Syracuse/Utica area have some similarities with New England, but there's also some notable similarities with Pa/Ohio. For example, the city of Albany has a black majority, specifically African American, something very hard to find in New England especially outside of Connecticut, but similar to say Harrisburg PA or Youngstown Ohio. Also, rowhomes are somewhat abundant in the Albany area, uncommon in most parts of NY state but similar to Pennsylvania and Maryland.

Also the Italian/Irish presence, tho big in NY and PA, it feels 'bigger' in New England (and NJ). NYC is probably the most diverse city in the country, but there's many groups large in NYC that aren't really present in much of the rest of the state. After, NYC, it would be Boston then Philadelphia in terms of demographic diversity. Tho, there's groups present in Boston (and many other parts of New England) in large numbers not really present in NYC like Cape Verdeans, Portuguese, French Canadians etc. Other groups like Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Jamaicans, Haitians, Chinese are present in major cities throughout the entire Northeast region in varying amounts.
In terms of the first part, look up Amsterdam and Dunkirk(has NY State's first Hispanic mayor) for examples of Upstate NY communities with similar demographics(higher Hispanic population, with a smaller, but decent/visible black population). Can't forget places such as Newburgh and Middletown, which has a higher Hispanic population, but also has a pretty big black population too. Same/similar for Monticello, Fallsburg and Liberty in Sullivan County. So, you may be surprised. Some of those New England/PA cities like Bridgeport, Providence and Springfield/Lancaster, Reading and even Allentown have above average and/or growing black populations too.

Albany is about a third black and yes, most of the black people in Upstate NY are largely African American(Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and Poughkeepsie are all in the roughly 30-45% black range as well, with about 10 other cities Upstate in the 15-30% range). Though for MA, I'd say that in western MA, the black population appears to be more African American as well(Pittsfield, Springfield, Amherst, etc.).

Even in terms of the Irish aspect, Albany, Syracuse(definitely) and some smaller areas Upstate are right there with Boston. Here is some metro area information from some years back that illustrates this: U.S. Irish as First Ancestry Population Percentage Metro Area Rank Based on ACS 2010-2014 data

Same goes for the Italian aspect, as mentioned in the thread in the General US forum, which shows some of the most Italian metros in the country are Upstate.

Quite a few French Canadians in the North Country/Adirondack portion of NY as well due to proximity. Look up French ancestry in areas like Plattsburgh, Ogdensburg-Massena and Malone. Watertown, Glens Falls and Albany also have quite a few.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-08-2022 at 11:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City