Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more like New York?
Pennsylvania 128 77.58%
New England 37 22.42%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2022, 10:48 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,449,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Your wayyyy to focused on downtown. You really are. It’s a tiny part of the city. And its fundamentally unlike Manhattan because of the narrow streets. A lot fewer bridges and tunnels and soooooooo much cheaper. More in the Baltimore RE market and honestly downtown Baltimore has the wider streets and feels more like what I image Manhattan to be circa 1980. Nothing in center city gives me NYC vibes if anything it’s more like Boston..
Nah, Center City Philadelphia is an extremely important part of our city for many reasons. Reasons perhaps because of your lifestyle you wouldn't even consider? Just one reason personal to me is that it is where I go for a neighborhood with multiple options for LGBTQ-inclusive/centered spaces within walking distance of one another. Very important to me, and it is not something my partner and I cannot get in Baltimore. And that's just one thing that makes Center City important. I most definitely am not too focused on downtown.

Your focus on street width is what is what's really over-focused here, guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2022, 10:54 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Nah, Center City Philadelphia is an extremely important part of our city for many reasons. Reasons perhaps because of your lifestyle you wouldn't even consider? Just one reason personal to me is that it is where I go for a neighborhood with multiple options for LGBTQ-inclusive/centered spaces within walking distance of one another. Very important to me, and it is not something my partner and I cannot get in Baltimore. And that's just one thing that makes Center City important. I most definitely am not too focused on downtown.

Your focus on street width is what is what's really over-focused here, guy.
Baltimore has a lot LGBTQ friendly spaces they’re just not really in Inner Harbor they def are downtown https://www.tripsavvy.com/baltimore-...-guide-1417177

There’s more but this is just one little article.

Old 08-21-2022, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Baltimore has a lot LGBTQ friendly spaces they’re just not really in Inner Harbor they def are downtown https://www.tripsavvy.com/baltimore-...-guide-1417177

There’s more but this is just one little article.
My guy, we've gone to Mt. Vernon multiple times. It does not compare for multiple reasons, including choices, diversity of events, cohesion, and overall safety.

I guess I shouldn't have mentioned Baltimore when just giving you an idea of what makes Philly more similar to NYC than Boston. The Philly-Baltimore connection is much more limited than people ignorant of the two cities may assume. Again, I'm surprised you aren't even considering University City, Northwest, and for that matter, all of Northeast Philadelphia, in saying this. Your point is I am over-accounting for Center City Philadelphia, while you are hung up on the connection between Patterson Place and Brewerytown. You're over-accounting for North Philly. How familiar are you with Philadelphia?

Old 08-21-2022, 11:17 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,591,685 times
Quote:
As always, wish I could rep you more Duderino.
Back at you.

Old 08-21-2022, 11:27 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,591,685 times
Quote:
The downplay of Phillys rust belt vibe is heavy here..
Deindustrialization is still a component of Philadelphia but obviously not a defining component. Two very different things. Philadelphia'a economic drivers are overwhelmingly eds, meds and hospitality. That's not "Rust Belt" in any sense.

Demographically, you've neglected the that Philadelphia grew significantly during the 2010s, whereas Baltimore continued to lose population. Philadelphia doubled its foreign-born population during this time to approximately 15% and is now over 20% less black than Baltimore (63% versus 41%).

Building/redevelopment have also far outpaced Baltimore, even on a per capita level.

Increasingly, you're taking about diverging cities. And this goes FAR beyond Center City.

Old 08-21-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Deindustrialization is still a component of Philadelphia but obviously not a defining component. Two very different things. Philadelphia'a economic drivers are overwhelmingly eds, meds and hospitality. That's not "Rust Belt" in any sense.

Demographically, you've neglected the that Philadelphia grew significantly during the 2010s, whereas Baltimore continued to lose population. Philadelphia doubled its foreign-born population during this time to approximately 15% and is now over 20% less black than Baltimore (63% versus 41%).

Building/redevelopment have also far outpaced Baltimore, even on a per capita level.

Increasingly, you're taking about diverging cities. And this goes FAR beyond Center City.
Baltimore is only 57.8% black now and decreasing. Philadelphia has come along in its foreign born population but so has Baltimore. Baltimore is growing too and much closer to Philly’s rate than Philly is to NYC’s rate (37%)

Old 08-21-2022, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Baltimore is only 57.8% black now and decreasing. Philadelphia has come along in its foreign born population but so has Baltimore. Baltimore is growing too and much closer to Philly’s rate than Philly is to NYC’s rate (37%)
BBMM, this is seriously not meant to come across as rude or personal, but you have a habit of responding to people who make detailed arguments with very short snip-its that masquerade for completely disproving said arguments. It's like your unique, quasi-strawman strategy. I'm not trying to be mean, I just think it comes across as more respectful when you address someone's argument in its entirety, and do your best to represent their views accurately.

Old 08-21-2022, 01:06 PM

Quote:
BBMM, this is seriously not meant to come across as rude or personal, but you have a habit of responding to people who make detailed arguments with very short snip-its that masquerade for completely disproving said arguments. It's like your unique, quasi-strawman strategy. I'm not trying to be mean, I just think it comes across as more respectful when you address someone's argument in its entirety, and do your best to represent their views accurately.
Don’t always have time for that personally- if I can I do. But realistically we just get into more tangents that way.

Baltimore is Eds and Meds too and has seen a lot of redevelopment as well and a decreasing poverty rate and more DINK households. It’s not that divergent really and IMO that’s not another pathway we need to go down because we’re pretty far from New England in Baltimore. Not meant to be that much of a diversion. I applied to what I saw as a noticeable factually inaccuracy. Two instances where numbers were involved I went to because this is a data website and I work a lot in data- or at least prefer too when it comes to populations and demography.

Old 08-21-2022, 01:47 PM

Other Boston NYC similarity.

Downtown Crossing =Times Square

Common+public garden= Boston scaled Central Park

Coney Island= Revere Beach

Cambridge skyline on the Charles River reminds me of Jersey City/West New York/Edgewater/Hoboken being right along. The Hudson :

New York Area satellite cities like Paterson, Yonkers, and Newark all have triple deckers (porchless ones) and general have more of a New England vernacular than a Rowhome one.

Yonkers especially has a ton of triple deckers and hills. Paterson looks like a New England city to a tee. Irvington NJ looks like Roxbury MA. Oranges look like Dorchester.

Some Boston suburbs like Revere and Everett feel like Jersey.

Old 08-21-2022, 03:57 PM

379 posts, read 468,201 times
Boston (city) = less intense version of Manhattan below 14th street.

Philly = Manhattan from 14th to 34th.

Chicago = Manhattan from 34th to 59th.

Manhattan 59th to 96th = no equivalent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City