Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more like New York?
Pennsylvania 128 77.58%
New England 37 22.42%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2022, 07:50 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
To answer your question, small town non-metro New England and Pennsylvania are similarly lily white. Nothing to contest on that point, and there's no question that NY State is more racially/ethnically diverse across the board than either small town PA or New England.

There are absolutely aspects about NY that make it distinct from anywhere else in the Northeast, and (along with NJ) its thoroughly entrenched level of diversity is one of them.
Ehhh. NY State without NYC is less diverse than Connecticut and on or with Massachusetts.

Not really in the same boat as New Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2022, 07:57 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Ehhh. NY State without NYC is less diverse than Connecticut and on or with Massachusetts.

Not really in the same boat as New Jersey.
If you take the big city out of MA or the biggest cities out of CT, it is similar, if not even less diverse though. Actually, NY without NYC is actually still close or in line with those states in terms of certain groups even if you keep the Boston area and the bigger CT areas in place. Those CT and MA just would have more Hispanics and the black percentage would still be similar.

Old 08-22-2022, 07:57 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
I don't believe that at all. Non-metro CT and MA are as white as they come, good sir.

Old 08-22-2022, 07:58 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
I don't believe that at all. Non-metro CT and MA are as white as they come, good sir.
Non metro Massachusetts is Berkshire County

Livingston County NY for example is 91% white, Nantucket is 70% White, Berkshire County is 87% which, which is about on par with most rural upstate counties.

Old 08-22-2022, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If you take the big city out of MA or the biggest cities out of CT, it is similar, if not even less diverse though. Actually, NY without NYC is actually still close or in line with those states in terms of certain groups even if you keep the Boston area and the bigger CT areas in place. Those CT and MA just would have more Hispanics and the black percentage would still be similar.
Not really the same thing for obvious reasons. NYC is 40% of NY. It’s one city. Boston is like 9% of MA or less.

Not fair to ask MA and CT remove multiple cities in that cas e you should remove Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Utica, Albany…

We’re talking about the pervasiveness throughout the state. MA and CT have less concentrated minority populations than NY.

Old 08-22-2022, 08:02 AM

Quote:
I never said non metro CT and MA. Which is like 3 counties. I said MA and CT.

I already did the math a few years back. If you remove NYC from NY state it’s basically identical to southern New England demographically. Almost to a tee.

If you’d like to do the math yourself, go ahead. Huge enormous swaths of NY State are extremely white.

Old 08-22-2022, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The difference is Genesee County is like 80% Republican, across the board. Nowhere in New England is like that.

Lewiston Maine, and Hanover NH are diverse for Northern New England.
Selecting Genesee County is quite random, as it is generally rural. That still doesn't mean that all rural counties are like that in NY due to some variety among rural areas of the state, which was my point.

Places like Lewiston ME and Hanover NH are pretty common even in Upstate NY, demographically speaking.

Old 08-22-2022, 08:07 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Selecting Genesee County is quite random, as it is generally rural. That still doesn't mean that all rural counties are like that in NY due to some variety among rural areas of the state, which was my point.

Places like Lewiston ME and Hanover NH are pretty common even in Upstate NY, demographically speaking.
I picked it because it was directly between two major cities. If you compare it to Berkshire county (rural outside of Pittsfield, 1/2 way between Springfield and Albany, it’s political night and day

Old 08-22-2022, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Not really the same thing for obvious reasons. NYC is 40% of NY. It’s one city. Boston is like 9% of MA or less.

Not fair to ask MA and CT remove multiple cities in that cas e you should remove Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Utica, Albany…

We’re talking about the pervasiveness throughout the state. MA and CT have less concentrated minority populations than NY.
Why not? When I referred to the Boston area, I'm talking about other cities that essentially blend in with Boston and with CT, it is different because there isn't really a concentrated city.

Keep in mind that NYC is a city of 5 counties as well. So, it is different in that respect as well.

I guess you say to put the Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse CSA's/stretch together, as that is similar to the population of CT and again, CT would be more Hispanic, but rest would be similar. NY north of NYC would be similar to MA in population and MA is probably more Hispanic and may be a little bit more Asian, but NY may have a little bit higher black percentage and more Native Americans.

Even with this said, the difference in terms of NY is that there are rural/small towns that have at least decent amounts of diversity, which can impact a dynamic like politics in those specific communities. That was the simple point I was making with that.

Old 08-22-2022, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I picked it because it was directly between two major cities. If you compare it to Berkshire county (rural outside of Pittsfield, 1/2 way between Springfield and Albany, it’s political night and day
Berkshire County also has Pittsfield, which is a bigger city than Batavia. So, you have to keep dynamics of a specific county in mind.

Again, can you name any rural/small town communities in New England with some visible diversity? I guess you could say Ayer and Shirley for MA due to the presence of Fort Devens, but besides that, can you think of any, where that dynamic could play a part in politics in a specific small town community?

For instance, here are government board reps for the village of Monticello in Sullivan County: Village of Monticello, New York
Monticello demographics: https://data.burlingtonfreepress.com...k/160-3648175/
Location: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mo...!4d-74.6893282

I'm not even thinking of a community that diverse, but this just gives an example of such a community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City