Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more like New York?
Pennsylvania 128 77.58%
New England 37 22.42%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 02:51 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Great post! My quick search says that Albany is only 29% black, though.
This may be a matter of who you include, as you probably used Census Reporter, which uses non Hispanic alone.

https://data.burlingtonfreepress.com...60-3600101000/

https://s4.ad.brown.edu/projects/div...cityid=3601000 (I believe takes more of a socio-historical approach)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2022, 03:11 PM

5 posts, read 2,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Some of those New England/PA cities like Bridgeport, Providence and Springfield/Lancaster, Reading and even Allentown have above average and/or growing black populations too.
Also, some of the bigger suburbs directly south of Boston such as Randolph, Brockton, Avon, and Stoughton are quickly gaining Black residents. Randolph and Brockton are near Black majority. Worcester to the west of Boston is quickly gaining Black residents as well.

Old 08-08-2022, 03:19 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
So, you may be surprised. Some of those New England/PA cities like Bridgeport, Providence and Springfield/Lancaster, Reading and even Allentown have above average and/or growing black populations too.
Yeah, it's always been clear to me that PA and NY both have a number of culturally entrenched historically-black populations, much more commonly than in New England.

In PA, it's true that cities like Reading, Allentown, Lebanon and Lancaster have become predominately latino/hispanic, but you can just as easily point to cities like Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, York and Chester that retain a significant edge in black population (versus latino/hispanic).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRPRCubaSpain View Post
I think much of PA (outside of Philly and parts of eastern PA) and much of NY (outside of NYC and southern NY) are very similar to Northeast Ohio, the way the houses and streets look, demographics and culture. Even
It's ironic that you say this, since Northeast OH was actually settled by New Englanders, which in many areas retains a similar look and feel.

Much of NY and the vast majority of PA is, conversely, "Mid-Atlantic" in look/feel in my experience: much more tightly-gridded, more use of brick/rowhome vernacular.

I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to when you say "demographics and culture."

Old 08-08-2022, 09:25 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
It's ironic that you say this, since Northeast OH was actually settled by New Englanders, which in many areas retains a similar look and feel.
Western Reserve University in Cleveland (now merged with Case Institute of Technology and known as Case Western Reserve University) gets its name from the fact that Northeast Ohio was originally the Western Reserve of the Connecticut colony — that is, it was land set aside for future expansion of that colony.

Old 08-08-2022, 10:29 PM

82 posts, read 52,671 times
Pennsylvania and it’s not close

Both got the 2 largest cities on the East Coast, & both cities share a river border with NJ, in the Southeast corner of the state, forming a tri-state area. Both states have a rust belt shrinking population city as their second largest city in the state, and both of these cities are more considered the Midwest than the Northeast. The 2 states share a several hundred mile border. Both states are most famous for their biggest city but the vast majority of the state’s area is rural farmland, mountains, and forests in the parts outside the city. Historically, these were the 2 largest and most important states in the US for like 100 years. Only difference is Pennsylvania is more of a purple state and it doesn’t have Ocean coastline like New York, although both states are on the Great Lakes. Honestly you couldn’t find a state more similar to New York than Pennsylvania

Old 08-09-2022, 07:55 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanksGiantsNets View Post

Both got the 2 largest cities on the East Coast, & both cities share a river border with NJ, in the Southeast corner of the state, forming a tri-state area. Both states have a rust belt shrinking population city as their second largest city in the state, and both of these cities are more considered the Midwest than the Northeast. The 2 states share a several hundred mile border. Both states are most famous for their biggest city but the vast majority of the state’s area is rural farmland, mountains, and forests in the parts outside the city. Historically, these were the 2 largest and most important states in the US for like 100 years. Only difference is Pennsylvania is more of a purple state and it doesn’t have Ocean coastline like New York, although both states are on the Great Lakes. Honestly you couldn’t find a state more similar to New York than Pennsylvania
Buffalo has actually been seeing population growth within city limits in recent years and both are still (Interior)Northeastern.

Old 08-09-2022, 10:15 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanksGiantsNets View Post

mostly correct, but i agree.

However, NYS without NYC, Nassau, Orange and Westchester County would be a red state by a few thousand votes. Similar to PA. Whereas, New England is the opposite.

Old 08-09-2022, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Buffalo has actually been seeing population growth within city limits in recent years and both are still (Interior)Northeastern.
Yes, I don't know why so many people seem to have a hard time grasping the concept that the "Midwest" doesn't border the East Coast. Geographically, the Midwest is supposed to literally refer to the country's mid-section, or its vast interior--i.e., the "mid" point until you reach the West. Interior Northeast is the only way to describe non-East Coast NY and PA.

The idea that any place in New York or Pennsylvania--two of the nation's original Eastern colonies--is "Midwest" always makes me laugh.

Last edited by Duderino; 08-09-2022 at 10:35 AM..

Old 08-09-2022, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
mostly correct, but i agree.

However, NYS without NYC, Nassau, Orange and Westchester County would be a red state by a few thousand votes. Similar to PA. Whereas, New England is the opposite.
New England has more reddish areas than it gets credit for, but generally that's true.

Rural PA is also generally redder than rural NY, but I chalk that up to Central PA being more agrarian and comprised of a crap-ton of small towns, whereas rural NY developed with bigger urban hubs Upstate.

Old 08-09-2022, 10:31 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Yes, I don't know why so many people seem to have a hard time grasping the concept that the "Midwest" doesn't border the East Coast. Geographically, the Midwest is supposed to literally refer to the country's mid-section, or its vast interior--i.e., the "mid" point until you reach the West. Interior Northeast is the only way to describe non-East Coast NY and PA.

The idea that any place in New York or Pennsylvania--two of the nation's original Eastern colonies--are "Midwest" always makes me laugh.
I agree with you 100%. I think it is because people mistakenly think of the Northeast as the East coast/Bos-Wash corridor while in reality the corridor is just a part of the Northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City