Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2020, 05:47 AM

386 posts, read 986,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Joe Young View Post
And I agree with you there. There is nothing Deep South about Oklahoma imo. Missouri? Their tiny Bootheel region only. Virginia? Maybe the area south of Charlottesville. But in any case, it’ll be interesting to read what twists this thread will take, lol.
Virginia is not the deep south at all. It is the upper south and midatlantic. Virginia could probably be defined as the prototypical upper south state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2020, 07:14 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I mostly agree with this list, although I'd remove Memphis (I think it's more Mid-South) and I would include both Dallas and Houston in the Tier alongside Atlanta with a asterisk (* = it's debatable whether they should be considered "Deep South").
"Mid-South" is a way Memphis and its larger region have branded themselves for about a century now, but the term itself in no way differentiates the "Mid-South" from the South as a whole generally or the Deep South/Upper South. It is a subset of both the Deep and Upper South subregions given its boundaries (roughly 200-mile radius of Memphis), just as, say, the Lowcountry is a subset of the Deep Sputh.

Old 12-13-2020, 07:16 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Joe Young View Post
And I agree with you there. There is nothing Deep South about Oklahoma imo. Missouri? Their tiny Bootheel region only. Virginia? Maybe the area south of Charlottesville. But in any case, it’ll be interesting to read what twists this thread will take, lol.
I believe the Little Dixie region of Oklahoma could be considered to be Deep South-ish to a degree.

Old 12-13-2020, 07:18 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,846,281 times
I agree Mid-South is a marketing thing more than anything else. As far as the term “Deep South” used here, I do have questions. From my eyes, it looks like he just added border states to Southern states. But there was a list of states given, so it’s probably best to utilize said list and leave the nomenclature to the side for the moment.

Old 12-13-2020, 07:31 AM

841 posts, read 825,691 times
Memphis feels like a tough call. It has lots of cultural and historical ties to the Deep South, including already being one of the "largest" cities of the Confederacy at the time of the Civil War. To me, "Deep South" has geographical, historical, and cultural connotations. While Memphis doesn't quite meet the geographical requirement, it certainly connects with the Deep South by the other two measures. I think Charlotte lacks some of those historical and cultural ties as a city that emerged later.

If you have to draw boundaries along state lines, then certainly Tennessee is not part of the Deep South. But if there is wiggle room, the part of West Tennessee around Memphis could be viewed as an extension of the Deep South. I don't feel like the rest of West Tennessee fits in with the Deep South as well.

Old 12-13-2020, 07:52 PM

126 posts, read 146,640 times
I'd say Nashville is a little more midwestern than deep south. It's closer to Louisville than it is to Memphis. And it's proximity to St. Louis and Cincinnati is just a little more than to Atlanta. Some of it's suburbs to the south are hanging on to a southern heritage, but Nashville doesn't seem to embrace that very strongly.

Old 12-13-2020, 08:26 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,846,281 times
Nashville isn’t Deep South, but it ain’t Midwestern either lol. It’s a typical New/Upper Southern city.

Old 12-13-2020, 10:28 PM

368 posts, read 1,329,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I would also include the northern half of Florida (essentially north of a Tampa-Orlando-Melbourne line) and Texas east of a Dallas-Houston line as part of the "deep south."
I can understand Dallas being debatable but Houston is most definitely Deep South. I wouldn’t call it anything else, I mean I wouldn’t know what to call it. Especially the areas outside Houston. I was in Beaumont, TX last week and it reminded me of Biloxi, Mississippi driving around town. I live in a smaller town in Alabama and east TX is Deep South in my opinion.

Old 12-14-2020, 05:24 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,560,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHofKS View Post
I'd say Nashville is a little more midwestern than deep south. It's closer to Louisville than it is to Memphis. And it's proximity to St. Louis and Cincinnati is just a little more than to Atlanta. Some of it's suburbs to the south are hanging on to a southern heritage, but Nashville doesn't seem to embrace that very strongly.
No, the reasoning here is off. No hate towards Nashville but it doesn't have Midwestern vibes. The proximity arguments doesn't hold either when trying to claim "more Midwestern" "like.

Old 12-14-2020, 06:09 AM

811 posts, read 888,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHofKS View Post
LOL, Nashville is not even close to being Midwestern, even Louisville is a debatable blend of Upper South and Midwest. And just because Nashville is the Hot city right now and experiencing tremendous growth, does not disqualify it from being in the Southern Region, just like Atlanta, no matter how many transplants it receives, always will be Southern. Just like New York City will always be Northern, even if the entire State of Mississippi moves there.

Last edited by KY_Transplant; 12-14-2020 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City