Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 05:26 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times

Advertisements

^^^Cairo, IL is 100% Southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 07:47 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Except when it's not. That stretch from Galveston to Pensacola is markedly different than the area just fifty miles north.

And that's kind of the problem with simplistic threads such as these. The South is both enormous and culturally diverse, defying artificial definitions such as Middle and Deep South. Just what you term the Deep South covers an area the size of Western Europe.

Look at a state such as Alabama. Mobile, Montgomery, Birmingham, and Huntsville are all in the same state, yet are incredibly different from one another in culture, religious faith, climate, landscape, environment, weather, and economics.
I forgot but someone said that there should be a distinction between Deep South and Gulf Coast. Northern Louisiana is probably more “Deep South” in culture than Southern Louisiana. That extends west into Texas and east to Mississippi and Alabama. Don’t know what to make of North Florida.

Last edited by Spade; 12-16-2020 at 08:05 PM..

Old 12-16-2020, 10:25 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Im not going to try to change your opinion but I do have a question. While your last sentence is true, the reverse is also true. Black or white, everyone in Houston has assimilated to hispanic culture. My question is, why doesn’t it have the same effect in your eyes. Clearly both are going on. I personally think the wah AsAbov described the “crisscross between the south and hispanic dominated Texas” fits the Bill perfectly for reasons described. About southern and hispanic culture being so predominate and being assimilated both.

PS, boiling crawfish isn’t a southern thing it’s Louisiana thing let’s not get it twisted. You don’t see boiling crawfish all throughout the south. It’s a Louisiana thing that places with lots of Louisiana influence (such as Houston) starts doing too, although not as well as Louisiana.
Alabama, Mississippi, and Florida

Old 12-16-2020, 10:31 PM

9,861 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Alabama, Mississippi, and Florida
Imagine disputing crawfish being a Louisiana thing.

Old 12-16-2020, 10:41 PM

9,861 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Crawfish may be spreading. In fact, it’s been booming in Dallas for a while now. And will likely continue to spread but it’s roots are in South Louisiana. Once we get to the point that we are taking credit for another places cuisine, that’s the point of taking it to far. Whoever denies Louisiana’s unique cuisine dowsnt know what they are talking about. Having lived in Louisiana, I’ve came across things I will never miss and others that I’m glad I got to experience as a resident. The unique cuisine will always be that. It’s not Texan, it’s not Floridian, it’s not Houstonian, it’s Louisiana.

Old 12-17-2020, 01:09 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
What is Deep South to you?
All of Mississippi and Louisiana, Alabama and Georgia South of I-20, Florida North of I-4, Texas east of I-45/US 75, the Delta region of southeastern Arkansas, Shelby County TN, and the coastal plain of South Carolina (everywhere east and south of and including Columbia)

Old 12-17-2020, 10:48 AM

2,653 posts, read 2,094,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebirdcamaro1220 View Post
all of mississippi and louisiana, alabama and georgia south of i-20, florida north of i-4, texas east of i-45/us 75, the delta region of southeastern arkansas, shelby county tn, and the coastal plain of south carolina (everywhere east and south of and including columbia)
ok

Old 12-21-2020, 04:01 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by councilor j View Post
I think of Texas as it’s own thing as well. It does share similarities with different regions. However I feel that the Houston/ Beaumont area can be categorized more so than the other cities in Texas. I travel a lot from Alabama to Austin area and it all kinda feels the same to me until I get past Houston. I get the Texas is Texas vibe throughout most of the state but I feel like I’m in the Deep South still when in Houston or Beaumont.

In my opinion I fee Dallas is similar to OKC, Amarillo and eastern New Mexico, if Eastern NM had a huge city I think it would feel like a Dallas.
El Paso is more like New Mexico than it is Texas.
Austin and San Antonio feel like they are their own thing, very much Texan.
Deep South TX feels kinda international with its Texan vibe
Amarillo and Lubbock feel midwestern with slight southern notes
Definitely not as far DFW and OKC. I understand DFW not being consider the "Deep" South rather it's southern border, I would group DFW, OKC and Tusla and some extent Austin as the end of south. With that said Dallas and Houston have more in common with Memphis, little Rock and New Orleans, then they do Amarillo and Lubbock. Texas is so big it's like another state away.

Cultural the Western Texas, Texas and OK panhandle is another region. Yes I would group this with New Mexico. but with adding DFW and OKC? never.

OKC, DFW and Austin follows a line that represent a dramatic drop and density. East of line not only have have more cities, but a higher number of small metros and smaller towns. As well a higher density in rual areas, more land being use for farming etc. So you visually see the difference.

https://www.census.gov/history/img/popdensity2011.jpg

https://geopoliticalfutures.com/wp-c...ainfall-v4.jpg

And this something people mis understand about Texas, the Texas triangle other wise the majority of the state is in the eastern half of the state which is s continuum of the south. The Romanized of the wild west that Texas is know for is western less populated end of the state.

As someone who grew up back and forth between Atlanta and DFW in middle school I took Texas history. The Eeastern half history is very much tied the French and Spanish as similar to Louisiana and Arkansas.

And reasons Texas fought against Mexico was because basically it was cultural the American South. Mexico allowed people from Southeast to migrate to Texas which became the majority. When Mexico outlaw slavery it revolted, Only for Texas to join the US just 10 years later then another 10 years later it join the rest of the South in civil war. After the civil war Blacks actually made 1/3 of the state population. Dallas and Houston are both have significant Black heritages that reflects the region their similar to Memphis and New Orleans as mention. The Hispanic population in these cities didn't even out take black population until the 90s. i say this cause people think it's something rooted like Miami, LA or even El paseo.

With Ok the same thing the reason for the dust bowl was the overgrazing of land. The south east quarter of state is called Little Dixie, Tulsa was home to Black wall street.

Old 12-21-2020, 04:50 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
With that said Dallas and Houston have more in common with Memphis, little Rock and New Orleans, then they do Amarillo and Lubbock. Texas is so big it's like another state away.
I dont know about Dallas on that front. Houston, Id agree. Fort Worth is basically the big city, diverse, cultured answer to West Texas. I dont think Dallas has much in common with Memphis or New Orleans. It definitely has more in common with the Panhandle IMO.

Old 12-21-2020, 05:18 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
but honestly I think deep south is out dated term

50 years ago it might have made sense but now not really, I stated before it's pretty much now an attempt especially by non southern to pick on the south and defined it by a little as diverse as possible.

seriously if Florida, Texas, VA, KY, and NC and apparently aren't Southern enough, considering this like over half south population maybe it's not there not southern enough rather what people are defining as "Southern" never encompass what is the south in the first place.

If had I divide south, there 3 groups..

1. VA, NC, SC, GA, and FL: The South Atlantic states, they are more populated, faster growing, and more progressive.

2. TN, AL, MS, AR, KY, and LA,: more slower growing more conservative. Nashville is outlier here.

3. Eastern half of TX and OK: Western end of the South is similar to the South Atlantic, that's it's more populated, faster growing, and growing more progressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City