Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 01:55 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,067,453 times

Advertisements

I would also group West Asia into the Arabic or MENA, I would also group the Stans there due to shared religion and history outside of Pakistan (MENA is probably a better description but colloquially means the same thing as Arabic in America). I would separate South Asia from West Asia though. In South Asia, I would count Maldives, Sri Lanka, India, Nepal, Pakistan and Bangladesh. theirs's probably an argument for the islands of East Africa being put into MENA and South Asian categories respectively but don't want to get to detailed as it would start to lose meaning.
I would also group Latin America together just because cultural difference is a lot smaller in the New World vs. Old World (mostly settled when Globalization was really taking off). Culturally The Americas is probably more similar than different parts of Asia and Africa are from regions inside them.

I probably would have split Africa personally, but no one really knows about cultural differences in the West to even make that distinction. (North/West/South-Central/East), also not enough immigrants in the first place for the distinction to truly matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2021, 02:12 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I would also group West Asia into the Arabic or MENA, I would also group the Stans there due to shared religion and history outside of Pakistan (MENA is probably a better description but colloquially means the same thing as Arabic in America). I would separate South Asia from West Asia though. In South Asia, I would count Maldives, Sri Lanka, India, Nepal, Pakistan and Bangladesh. theirs's probably an argument for the islands of East Africa being put into MENA and South Asian categories respectively but don't want to get to detailed as it would start to lose meaning.
I would also group Latin America together just because cultural difference is a lot smaller in the New World vs. Old World (mostly settled when Globalization was really taking off). Culturally The Americas is probably more similar than different parts of Asia and Africa are from regions inside them.

I probably would have split Africa personally, but no one really knows about cultural differences in the West to even make that distinction. (North/West/South-Central/East), also not enough immigrants in the first place for the distinction to truly matter.
I agree. I would definitely include those that you mentioned in with Arabic or MENA like you said

And yes I would include Latin America together because there are some countries like Venezuela and Panama that are more Caribbean related than South America/Central America despite not being islands. Even though Latin America has regional subcultures, it is a far more similar region congruently then east Asia is. So you would have to group it together because of that as well

However, non-Spanish-speaking Caribbean does deserve its own category. And Guyana and Belize would participate in this category

Old 01-21-2021, 03:42 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I agree. I would definitely include those that you mentioned in with Arabic or MENA like you said

And yes I would include Latin America together because there are some countries like Venezuela and Panama that are more Caribbean related than South America/Central America despite not being islands. Even though Latin America has regional subcultures, it is a far more similar region congruently then east Asia is. So you would have to group it together because of that as well

However, non-Spanish-speaking Caribbean does deserve its own category. And Guyana and Belize would participate in this category
I can definitely do an extra category for non-Latin Caribbean. I can also add for MENA.

We don’t want to split it up too much though. I let would eventually defeat the purpose of breaking down by country.

Old 01-22-2021, 09:26 AM

After thinking about it:

1) Ill split West and East Africa in Two
2) Ill split Hispanic South America/Caribbean/Central America from non-Hispanic. That means Haiti will be with countries like Jamaica and Guyana, but Haiti is the only country that has a significant number of immigrants in the US from that region that doesnt speak Spanish or English and I dont want to make a separate category just for it.
3) Ill make MENA one category.

Standby for reassignments...

Old 01-22-2021, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
After thinking about it:

1) Ill split West and East Africa in Two
2) Ill split Hispanic South America/Caribbean/Central America from non-Hispanic. That means Haiti will be with countries like Jamaica and Guyana, but Haiti is the only country that has a significant number of immigrants in the US from that region that doesnt speak Spanish or English and I dont want to make a separate category just for it.
3) Ill make MENA one category.

Standby for reassignments...
I wouldn't split East and West African. While both regions are different in their ways, it's not they are still held together as a region. Northeast and Southeast Asian would also grant a split from this, but I wouldn't do that either.

Old 01-22-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I wouldn't split East and West African. While both regions are different in their ways, it's not they are still held together as a region. Northeast and Southeast Asian would also grant a split from this, but I wouldn't do that either.
Good point. Ill leave that out then.

Old 01-22-2021, 02:08 PM

So here is what were looking at with a new breakdown. I think I will make it two points per region as opposed to one in the final scoring. I did end up breaking it down further because I reasoned if I do that for the Caribbean and Latin America, Id need to do it in Asia and Africa. However, it was mostly moot. No CSA/MSA had both a West African and East African country over 0.5% in population.

New York City/Newark
Central America: 3
Non-Hispanic Caribbean: 3
South Asia: 3
East Asia: 2
Europe: 2
Hispanic Caribbean: 2
South America: 1
Southeast Asia: 1

Sacramento/Roseville
Southeast Asia: 2
Central America: 1
East Asia: 1
Europe: 1
Hispanic Caribbean: 1
South Asia: 1
West Asia: 1
Oceana: 1

Houston/the Woodlands
Central America: 4
West Africa: 1

Boston/Worchester/Providence
Non-Hispanic Caribbean: 1

Washington DC/Baltimore
East Africa: 1

Chicago/Naperville

San Diego/Carlsbad

Los Angeles/Riverside
East Asia: 3

San Jose/San Francisco
East Asia: 3
Central America: 2

Dallas/Fort Worth

Seattle/Tacoma

Atlanta/Athens/Clarke County

Detroit/Ann Arbor
West Asia: 2

Philadelphia/Reading/Camden
Central American: 1

Austin/Round Rock/Georgetown

Miami/Fort Lauderdale/Fort St. Lucie
South America: 6
Non-Hispanic Caribbean: 3

Orlando/Lakeland/Deltona
Hispanic Caribbean: 3
Non-Hispanic Caribbean: 2
South America: 2

Las Vegas/Henderson

Minneapolis/St. Paul
East Africa: 1

Tampa/St. Petersburg

Phoenix/Mesa

Portland/Salem

Charlotte/Concord

Denver/Boulder

Total regions with at least one group of immigrants over 0.5% of the total population by CSA/MSA.

New York City - 8
Sacramento - 8

Houston - 7
Boston/Worchester/Providence - 7

Washington DC/Baltimore - 6
Chicago - 6
San Diego - 6

Los Angeles/Riverside - 5
San Jose/San Francisco - 5
Dallas/Fort Worth - 5
Seattle/Tacoma - 5
Atlanta - 5
Detroit - 5
Philadelphia - 5
Austin - 5

Miami/Fort Lauderdale - 4
Las Vegas - 4
Orlando - 4
Minneapolis/St. Paul - 4
Tampa - 4
Phoenix - 4
Portland, OR - 4

Charlotte - 3

Denver - 1

Old 01-24-2021, 03:47 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Miami dropped life a rock, down to pretty much like the other Miami cities.
Interesting seeing Sacramento up there with New York.
And Houston and Boston just one step down.

Are you sure you didn't leave out West African for Dallas?

Old 01-24-2021, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post

As expected. Most of Miami's diversity comes from Latin America and Europe.

Old 01-24-2021, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post

I am. Nigeria barely missed by about 3000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City