Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the most unbearable summer?
Las Vegas 6 3.33%
Phoenix 61 33.89%
Dallas 6 3.33%
Houston 55 30.56%
San Antonio 2 1.11%
Austin 2 1.11%
New Orleans 21 11.67%
Tampa 3 1.67%
Orlando 7 3.89%
Miami 9 5.00%
Atlanta 5 2.78%
Other 3 1.67%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 06:43 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
There's no way New Orleans temp and great index is that low for August.
August is the hottest month all along the gulf coast and it does dip until into Sept.
No way Vegas drops to 95 in August.
There's something unrealistic about the numbers
That was a typo for Las Vegas in August. It should be the following:

June = 99*F / 29*F (Heat Index = 93*F)
July = 104*F / 40*F (Heat Index = 99*F)
August = 102*F / 42*F (Heat Index = 97*F)

Average JJA Heat Index = 96*F

Everything else is correct.

It may not be what you *WANT* to believe, but the numbers are based on past official observations over a 30-year period (1981-2010) and come directly from the National Weather Service.

Sources:

https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/html/heatindex.shtml

https://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/ccd-data/nrmmax.txt

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/IPS/lcd/lcd.html

I will admit, I was also surprised to find out even with considerably less humidity, it still feels hotter in Phoenix than Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 06:49 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
There's no reason to be so sensitive.
I suggested that there was an error and you looked and there was an error and you are upset that I suggested that it doesn't look right when it wasn't?

The relative order is on the whole what expected apart from New Orleans and Las Vegas being lower than expected.

Old 01-27-2021, 06:49 AM

I will add this caveat though.

The 2010s decade had several historically hot summers all over the country (including the Deep South), so when the 1991 - 2020 averages come out (which should be any day now), those numbers will definitely change (probably for the worse)

Old 01-27-2021, 06:52 AM

Quote:
...I suggested that there was an error and you looked and there was an error...
It was really you saying "there's something unrealistic about the numbers" that I took issue with. Since you didn't provide additional context, there was no other way for me to interpret that other than you were casting doubt on everything I posted.

In any event, I appreciate you pointing out the typo. It was 4am in the morning and I was half sleep when I put it together.

Old 01-27-2021, 07:06 AM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Good job with the heat index info—I assume that is the average of all areas within a particular city given that there can be variation from coastal v inland heat

might be interesting to add September (and possibly October) and see the data..in Miami, summer really does not end until the end of October/November 1.

Old 01-27-2021, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Good job with the heat index info—I assume that is the average of all areas within a particular city given that there can be variation from coastal v inland heat

might be interesting to add September (and possibly October) and see the data..in Miami, summer really does not end until the end of October/November 1.
It's based on data from the official observations stations in each city, which is almost always the main airport (in part because the FAA is responsible for recording the weather observations). Airports actually tend to run a bit hotter than surrounding areas with all of the tarmac.

I could run the numbers for September as well, to see if there's a difference in the overall rankings It might even be helpful to include May.

I'm not sure about including October, since that's when it starts cooling off in parts of the Deep South.

Old 01-27-2021, 07:18 AM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
September for sure....sounds like different results in different cities—May is still nice in Miami and sounds like our October could be similar to “others” May.

Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
It's based on data from the official observations stations in each city, which is almost always the main airport. Airports actually tend to run a bit hotter than surrounding areas with all of the tarmac.

I could run the numbers for September as well, to see if there's a difference in the overall rankings It might even be helpful to include May.

I'm not sure about including October, since that's when it starts cooling off in parts of the Deep South.

Old 01-27-2021, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think if Houston saw the sea breeze summer rain like Miami does, it will be more bearable. But it doesn’t and the more inland you are, the hotter it will feel. What I don’t see on here is the low country and coastal Georgia. I never felt hotter at any point when mixed with humidity than I did in Savannah in 2016. Even Houston in my experience didn’t compare. That was some wild heat there.
Quote:
Ah yes, land of the Gnats.

Yeah, there's the addition of compressional heating going on there because of downsloping from the Appalachian Mountains.
For posterity, here are the numbers for cities in the Georgia Coastal Plain:

Savannah:

June = 89*F / 68*F (Heat Index = 93*F)
July = 91*F / 71*F (Heat Index = 98*F)
August = 90*F / 71*F (Heat Index = 96*F)

Average JJA Heat Index = 95.67*F

Valdosta:

June = 90*F / 68*F (Heat Index = 94*F)

Albany:

June = 90*F / 68*F (Heat Index = 94*F)

Old 01-27-2021, 07:51 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
Quote:
It was really you saying "there's something unrealistic about the numbers" that I took issue with. Since you didn't provide additional context, there was no other way for me to interpret that other than you were casting doubt on everything I posted.

In any event, I appreciate you pointing out the typo. It was 4am in the morning and I was half sleep when I put it together.
I appreciate you putting this together but I was just pointing out things that didn't match my personal observations.
I chose Phoenix as the most brutal, and the data you posted backed that up.
In fact the top two cities in the poll are the top two from the data you posted so I don't see I don't why people go straight to personal attacks.
I listed specifically the ones I had issue with.
The data is directly on point with the thread but can't someone point out things that may not be accurate without being accused of an alterior motive?

New Orleans is my favorite city on that list.
I am verrrrry familiar with it and I can tell you an average high of 88 in August is not my experience.
I have less experience with Vegas, the only time I have been there in the summer was about August but nevertheless there was a typo for that month.

Anyway, I still maintain that I disagree with the figures for New Orleans.
From my experience the average high in August are identical to Houstons with a tad higher humidity.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/ne...weather/348585
For August last year there was not one day where the high was less than 91 which backs up my very valid point that there is something off of about an average high of 88.

This site says 92
https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...th-average.php

Also 92
https://www.neworleans.com/plan/weather/

The NOAA also lists it at 92, so I am not sure why I am being attacked for pointing out valid discrepancies based on personal experience when all the data seem to point out my scepticism maybe warranted.

I mean, there may be scenarios where both 88 and 92 are correct, the lower figure may include more historical figures while the higher one may be using only recent data. Idk

Old 01-27-2021, 08:15 AM

Quote:
...https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/ne...weather/348585
For August last year there was not one day where the high was less than 91 which backs up my very valid point that there is something off of about an average high of 88...

...I mean, there may be scenarios where both 88 and 92 are correct, the lower figure may include more historical figures while the higher one may be using only recent data. Idk...
Judging whether a location is hotter based on 1 year of data is not the best practice. One reason is because of how much weather patterns (which influences temperatures/dewpoints) can fluctuate from year to year. But also, you can't establish an average with just 1 data point (which, in your example, would only be August 2020).

It's best practice to track the weather trends over a long-term period, thus why I pulled the 30-year averages (which is also what Meteorologists go by).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City