Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the most unbearable summer?
Las Vegas 6 3.33%
Phoenix 61 33.89%
Dallas 6 3.33%
Houston 55 30.56%
San Antonio 2 1.11%
Austin 2 1.11%
New Orleans 21 11.67%
Tampa 3 1.67%
Orlando 7 3.89%
Miami 9 5.00%
Atlanta 5 2.78%
Other 3 1.67%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 05:32 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,419,680 times

Advertisements

I'm still confused how Dallas has only 3 votes and Houston has 34. Dallas is just as bad and muggy and there's no coastal relief. The evening temperatures are still hot. There's also less overcast in the summers in Dallas. I've had plastic and rubber pieces in my car melt in Dallas, that has never happened in Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2021, 06:36 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,266,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
I'm still confused how Dallas has only 3 votes and Houston has 34. Dallas is just as bad and muggy and there's no coastal relief. The evening temperatures are still hot. There's also less overcast in the summers in Dallas. I've had plastic and rubber pieces in my car melt in Dallas, that has never happened in Houston.
Same reason Atlanta has more votes than Las Vegas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
A lot of posters simply just pick the first city that comes to mind, or what triggers their emotions, rather than actually understanding the data or thinking logically about the situation. For instance, I'm sure that Atlanta and Miami simply accumulate some votes just by default of their larger populations and traffic, as there'd naturally be more people with "vendettas" against both, respectively. Meanwhile, Orlando, with its much smaller population, would simply be ignored.

It then ties into the circumstance of vote-splitting. A vote that otherwise might have gone to Orlando instead goes towards, say, Houston or NOLA. And, then, due to the aforementioned factor, Atlanta and Miami wind up accumulating more votes. Same thing with Dallas or San Antonio relative to, say, Phoenix. You then have this poll, which looks at first glance like a clear two horse race between Phoenix and Houston, but it's actually just two different contingents voting in isolation.

Old 01-21-2021, 06:39 PM

8,491 posts, read 4,735,625 times
Quote:
I just don’t see that much difference between the Southern/Southeastern cities. I can’t single one out. Ditto the desert cities. I would take the desert cities, as an entire class, as being more pleasant than the South/Southeast, because the evaporative cooling off of your body just makes things a lot more pleasant than the muggy, clingy heat down south.

Old 01-21-2021, 06:52 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,698,966 times
I've never experienced worst heat and humidity than Orlando. Surprised it has zero votes. Houston is blazing but it isn't as bad as everyone always says it is imo. It feels no more hot/humid than Dallas to me. Still haven't been to Phoenix but I see videos of people cooking food on the sidewalk so I'm not surprised that it's winning.

Old 01-21-2021, 07:05 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,363,572 times
Quote:
This poll is more of dry summer vs humid summer, with Phoenix representing the dry and Houston representing the humid. So its pretty much Phoenix vs Houston at this point.

Old 01-21-2021, 07:21 PM

245 posts, read 236,177 times
All these people voting Phoenix have never lived in Tampa or Orlando, for example. Because if they did, a lot of them would vote differently. The humidity there is simply on another level than anywhere else in the US. These same folks simply look at straight temperatures and decide it must feel hotter. I've got news for you, the temp in FL may only be in the low to mid 90's, but the actual heat index is off the charts (in the 100's for months). The humidity is like a heavy blanket that lays heavily on you and wraps you in a hot blanket causing you to sweat within seconds of stepping outside. I've been in desert climates and humid tropical climates and humid tropical is worse. And it ain't even close in my opinion. I spent 3 months in Saudi Arabia once in the summer (115-120 during the day) and I didn't think it felt any hotter than Tampa Florida where I was from at the time. At least in Saudi, it felt cooler at night due to the zero level humidity, even though the temp was only dropping off to 90 probably.

Old 01-21-2021, 10:33 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
There's also less overcast in the summers in Dallas. I've had plastic and rubber pieces in my car melt in Dallas, that has never happened in Houston.
Being in the middle of the continent can make sure that cloud cover does not occur. That's why Dallas reaches typically reaches 100 degrees in the summer, while mid-90s and afternoon thunderstorms (due to coastal breezes) are more common in Houston.

But Phoenix wins hands down! I had to make a quick road trip there for a family emergency a year-and-a-half ago. Sadly, I drive a dark-colored car with a dark interior and stuff could have melted or rechargeable batteries exploded if I had left them in the car the entire day.

Old 01-22-2021, 03:02 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
I agree with Phoenix being the worst. I found this list of number of days with heat index >105 F over a 30 year period, but it lacks Las Vegas and Austin

Phoenix 1060
New Orleans 463
Houston 460
Memphis 363
Dallas 352
Jacksonville 300
St. Louis 212
Kansas City 211
Tampa 204
...... many other cities
Orlando 120
...... many other cities
San Antonio 89
Baltimore 75
Nashville 74
Miami 72
.....many other cities
Atlanta 55

If you use heat index of 95 F as your cutoff, days above over a 30 year timeframe:

Phoenix 3370
Tampa 3129
Miami 3098
Houston 2917
San Antonio 2659
New Orleans 2560
Jacksonville 2484
Dallas 2467
So for Phoenix you're looking at roughly 90 days a year with the HI above 95? Incredible

Old 01-22-2021, 05:41 PM

3,527 posts, read 2,320,333 times
I’ll take Vegas/Phoenix raw heat over Houston’s humidity any day of the weak

Old 01-22-2021, 06:33 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,971,651 times
Quote:
It’s because Houston has 15 more days per year with a heat index above 95F. That is pretty significant. Houston has about 4 days more/ year where the heat index is >105 F, 15 vs 11. There is no coastal relief for Houston, only more humidity. From June-Sept, avg humidity in Houston is 75.2%. For Dallas, it’s not great, 62.9%, but still better than Houston.

You usually get a mild sea breeze in Galveston, but once you get a few miles inland, it dissipates. The only stat that Dallas is worse is percent sunshine, 71% for Dallas vs 66% for Houston.

All that being said, Phoenix is still the worst, with Vegas most like second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City