Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the most unbearable summer?
Las Vegas 6 3.33%
Phoenix 61 33.89%
Dallas 6 3.33%
Houston 55 30.56%
San Antonio 2 1.11%
Austin 2 1.11%
New Orleans 21 11.67%
Tampa 3 1.67%
Orlando 7 3.89%
Miami 9 5.00%
Atlanta 5 2.78%
Other 3 1.67%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 12:44 PM

7,724 posts, read 12,617,686 times

Advertisements

Houston is hell on Earth. I'm a life long Floridian and I don't know anywhere in the state has ever felt as hot as a summer there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 01:00 PM

9,865 posts, read 6,579,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Houston is hell on Earth. I'm a life long Floridian and I don't know anywhere in the state has ever felt as hot as a summer there.
The problem with Florida is the mosquitos are golf ball sized. I thought Louisiana mosquitos were bad until I went to South Florida.

Old 01-19-2021, 01:12 PM

7,724 posts, read 12,617,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
The problem with Florida is the mosquitos are golf ball sized. I thought Louisiana mosquitos were bad until I went to South Florida.
Where in South FL are you referring to? Cause we haven't had a mosquito problem in years. At least on the east coast.

Old 01-19-2021, 01:23 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,612,137 times
I think the Houston heat and humidty that's more like a sauna is much more bearable in the summer than the dry heat of Phoenix that's more like a blast furnace. During the summer, Houston does get rain. Some days it might rain all day everywhere in Houston. But almost everyday somewhere within the city of Houston it will rain for maybe 20 to 30 minutes, so there is some relief, whereas in Phoenix, it gets hot and stays hot for such long a period of time with no relief, I think that 112 degree desert heat day after day would get old real quick. I think it would feel extremely brutally hot to have a job outdoors constantly working in it, such as a roofer, or highway maintenance person. They should get bonus pay for having to work outdoors in Phoenix during the summer, in my opinion.

Old 01-19-2021, 01:38 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
I think if Houston saw the sea breeze summer rain like Miami does, it will be more bearable.

Old 01-19-2021, 01:40 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
I think if Houston saw the sea breeze summer rain like Miami does, it will be more bearable. But it doesn’t and the more inland you are, the hotter it will feel. What I don’t see on here is the low country and coastal Georgia. I never felt hotter at any point when mixed with humidity than I did in Savannah in 2016. Even Houston in my experience didn’t compare. That was some wild heat there.

Old 01-19-2021, 01:43 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,341,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I think the Houston heat and humidty that's more like a sauna is much more bearable in the summer than the dry heat of Phoenix that's more like a blast furnace. During the summer, Houston does get rain. Some days it might rain all day everywhere in Houston. But almost everyday somewhere within the city of Houston it will rain for maybe 20 to 30 minutes, so there is some relief, whereas in Phoenix, it gets hot and stays hot for such long a period of time with no relief, I think that 112 degree desert heat day after day would get old real quick. I think it would feel extremely brutally hot to have a job outdoors constantly working in it, such as a roofer, or highway maintenance person. They should get bonus pay for having to work outdoors in Phoenix during the summer, in my opinion.
You do not get large number of days in Phoenix with temperatures at or above 112. It happens but it is rare. Highest average temperature is 106 in July. So there may well be a couple of 112 days but there will also be some 100 days.

And note we who live in these desert climates simply do outside stuff early. In Vegas it generally does not get to 100 until after noon. So you can still do things outside. Just have to schedule appropriately.

Old 01-19-2021, 01:46 PM

61 posts, read 63,095 times
I lived on the Flordia Gulf Coast and spent a lot of time in the lower California deserts this past summer. I pick Phoenix now, lol.

Old 01-19-2021, 01:58 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,701,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think if Houston saw the sea breeze summer rain like Miami does, it will be more bearable. But it doesn’t and the more inland you are, the hotter it will feel. What I don’t see on here is the low country and coastal Georgia. I never felt hotter at any point when mixed with humidity than I did in Savannah in 2016. Even Houston in my experience didn’t compare. That was some wild heat there.
Ah yes, land of the Gnats.

Yeah, there's the addition of compressional heating going on there because of downsloping from the Appalachian Mountains.

Old 01-19-2021, 03:27 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,266,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
I am surprised people voted for Miami and Atlanta but not Orlando. I feel like Orlando is far worse than those too, since it's inland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
To pick Atlanta at all you would either have to have a vendetta against Atlanta or never been to the other cities in the poll in the summer.
A lot of posters simply just pick the first city that comes to mind, or what triggers their emotions, rather than actually understanding the data or thinking logically about the situation. For instance, I'm sure that Atlanta and Miami simply accumulate some votes just by default of their larger populations and traffic, as there'd naturally be more people with "vendettas" against both, respectively. Meanwhile, Orlando, with its much smaller population, would simply be ignored.

It then ties into the circumstance of vote-splitting. A vote that otherwise might have gone to Orlando instead goes towards, say, Houston or NOLA. And, then, due to the aforementioned factor, Atlanta and Miami wind up accumulating more votes. Same thing with Dallas or San Antonio relative to, say, Phoenix. You then have this poll, which looks at first glance like a clear two horse race between Phoenix and Houston, but it's actually just two different contingents voting in isolation.

Last edited by kemahkami; 01-19-2021 at 03:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City