Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City wins?
Cleveland 46 44.66%
Calgary 57 55.34%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-27-2021, 03:21 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Economy- Calgary
-Education- Calgary
-Transit/Traffic-Calgary
-Urban Liveliness-Calgary
-Suburbs-Calgary
-Diversity-Calgary
-Recreational Activities-Calgary
-Etc-Calgary

I would choose Calgary.
Do you ever not post about a Cleveland thread? Just curious. We all have noted your opinions. Anyway, I don't think you've ever been to Calgary.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 03:44 PM

824 posts, read 713,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Economy- Calgary
-Education- Calgary
-Transit/Traffic-Calgary
-Urban Liveliness-Calgary
-Suburbs-Calgary
-Diversity-Calgary
-Recreational Activities-Calgary
-Etc-Calgary

I would choose Calgary.
Again, overall I agree about Calgary being a better place however, I really don’t get these people saying Calgary’s suburbs and recreation opportunities are better than Cleveland’s.

Old 01-27-2021, 03:45 PM

5,483 posts, read 3,923,585 times
This might be my favorite comp in the history of city-data comparisons. I can't vote as I've never been to Calgary but I am a huge fan of this seemingly exceptionally random matchup

Old 01-27-2021, 04:33 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,395,075 times
It is interesting that Calgary is a top 10 city for best places to live as a movie maker. Calgary has a long road to recovery, but the good news is promising.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/calgary...7de753386/amp/

Old 01-27-2021, 04:53 PM

994 posts, read 781,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Cleveland. Lots of beautiful old money neighborhoods, historic architecture like the Terminal Tower, West Side Market, Ohio City, The Arcade, Hope Memorial Bridge, Garfield Memorial, Heinen's. If you love arts and culture, the Cleveland Museum of Art and the Cleveland Symphony Orchestra dwarf anything Calgary has to offer.

You also have 3.6 million in the CSA versus 1.5 million, so far more dining, retail and exploring options.

And if you love daytrips, you have a lot of options in Cleveland. Cedar Point and Cuyahoga Valley National Park are right there and Pittsburgh and Niagara Falls/Buffalo are doable daytrips.

Calgary is cleaner and more corporate (feels more prosperous). But I also find it more sterile and lacking in culture (Calgary Stampede is not a culture and the rest of the city is mainstream and lacks uniqueness). And your daytrip options are limited to Banff. If you love nature though, Banff alone will outweigh Cleveland's offerings.

If you prefer urban living and exploration, Cleveland is a no brainer.

The other weird kink is that Calgary is in Alberta, which is seeing major economic damage due to the decline of oil. The province's budget deficit is expected to be $21.3 billion this year (massive for a province of 4.4 million) and could grow to $88 billion by 2023. Those numbers would make Illinois blush.

So expect a decline in Alberta's oil fortunes to hold back Calgary for the short-to-medium term. Ohio meanwhile has a much better economy and though Cleveland is struggling, Cincinnati and Columbus are bringing the state lots of corporate dollars (which indirectly trickles back to Cleveland). So financially, Ohio is a much safer bet.
This is a great post, though Cleveland is holding its own economically with both Cincinnati and Columbus. All three are driving Ohio's economy. With that, Cuyahoga County (Cleveland) still has a slightly higher GDP than Franklin County (Columbus) even though Franklin recently passed Cuyahoga in population. Same is true on the metro level, and again, Columbus recently passed Cleveland there in population as well.

Cleveland has huge pockets of poverty, which is not only a big societal issue, but also is a lag on GDP and per capita metrics. It also still has a huge amount of wealth. I'm not saying that disparity is a good thing either, but probably is not too much different than any industrial US city/metro.

Old 01-27-2021, 05:23 PM

859 posts, read 697,317 times
Calgary.

It is colder, but it is also close to real skiing (not 200 foot vertical hills but 3,000 foot vertical mountains).

Old 01-27-2021, 09:32 PM

4,531 posts, read 5,101,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Do you ever not post about a Cleveland thread?
Answer: no. But hey, she's gotta have something to do I guess.

Old 01-27-2021, 11:02 PM

313 posts, read 218,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Answer: no. But hey, she's gotta have something to do I guess.
LOL. She does the same with Orlando, even though she's clearly never been there.

Old 01-27-2021, 11:45 PM

984 posts, read 1,314,638 times
Outside of post-secondary and weather, which is a personal choice, Calgary basically blows Cleveland out of the water in every statistical category.

Cities and the urban experience however, are more than just raw statistics. There is that 'feel' of a city that can't be measured by raw data and this is where Cleveland shows it's strength. It far out performs Calgary in arts, culture, and music and is home to one of the world's premier sympathy orchestras. It has better architecture and a real sense of urban grit which can be very endearing.............in short it has soul and character that Calgary doesn't.

Malls may be cheaper, have free parking, and a nice safe climate controlled shopping experience but i'd take neighbourhood shopping over the mall any day of the week.

Old 01-28-2021, 11:23 AM

4,531 posts, read 5,101,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
Outside of post-secondary and weather, which is a personal choice, Calgary basically blows Cleveland out of the water in every statistical category.

Cities and the urban experience however, are more than just raw statistics. There is that 'feel' of a city that can't be measured by raw data and this is where Cleveland shows it's strength. It far out performs Calgary in arts, culture, and music and is home to one of the world's premier sympathy orchestras. It has better architecture and a real sense of urban grit which can be very endearing.............in short it has soul and character that Calgary doesn't.

Malls may be cheaper, have free parking, and a nice safe climate controlled shopping experience but i'd take neighbourhood shopping over the mall any day of the week.
This!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City