Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please choose 2 answers (one for "live" and one from "visit")
Massachusetts to live 101 65.58%
Missouri to live 50 32.47%
Massachusetts to visit 116 75.32%
Missouri to visit 26 16.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2022, 08:11 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,431,622 times

Advertisements

I chose MO solely on climate,everything else is secondary to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2022, 09:05 AM

14,183 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Since someone brought this thread back from the dead, a post I should have followed up on:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
KC laid out a system of landscaped boulevards 100+ years ago. The most beautiful of them, Paseo Blvd, was designed to take advantage of the region's scenic bluffs and watercourses. It had some grand mansions and landscaped malls with gardens and fountains. But it runs parallel to and a few blocks east of Troost Ave which later became the dividing line between the favored, well kept, thriving neighborhoods and the ones shunned and excluded from the development pie. So Paseo is in a sad state, as is Benton Boulevard, another of the grandes allées of Kansas City. The neighborhoods east of Troost have thousands of really nice craftsman / bungalow period houses but way too much blight, vacant lots and crime.
I think some of you may recall that I said I "grew up integrated" — I lived east of Troost and went to school west of it from the time I was old enough to attend school.

The north-south thoroughfare 11 blocks east of Main Street is also a sharp racial divide. Something I've noticed about Midwestern cities in general (Chicago, St. Louis and Milwaukee included here) is that racial segregation in those cities takes a much different form than it does in the Northeast. In Northeastern cities (Boston included here), it's more of a patchwork quilt: you will find sections where everyone's Black, or Puerto Rican, or Caribbean, interspersed with sections where everyone's white, or Chinese, or Korean, and none of these make up entire vast swaths of the city. And, of course, the city I now call home has at least one neighborhood in it that has long prided itself on its racially integrated population (Mt. Airy now is about 2/3 Black and 1/3 white, but the white population isn't declining), and one can find non-trivial numbers of Blacks in several other middle-class neighborhoods where they do not dominate. My home neighborhood of Germantown is about 80% Black and generally low- to moderate income (neighborhood-wide MHI is ~$30k/year), but whites account for just about all of the 20% as well as just about all of its most affluent residents (five percent of Germantown households have incomes >$135k/year).

But in the Midwest? Chicago, St. Louis and Milwaukee all have sharp divides between their north and south sides (Chicago's South Side is almost all Black, save for the island around the University of Chicago campus; in St. Louis, it's the North Side that holds that distinction; I forget which side of Milwaukee is the Black one). Because pre-WWII Kansas City grew southward from its original settlement, the division is East Side/West Side, with the Blacks living on the East Side and Troost Avenue the divider. And the Black neighborhoods have by and large lost their better-off residents, though in some places, that development is beginning to reverse. (Kansas City's Santa Fe Place neighborhood is something of an exception as well.)

Prior to the 1950s, there was also a southern boundary of the Black Pale of Settlement in Kansas City: 31st Street. But because houses in the heavily Jewish neighborhoods to 31st Street's south did not have racially restrictive covenants (which often forbade sales to Jews as well as Blacks) attached to them, Black families began to buy in neighborhoods like Ivanhoe and Oak Park, where my parents bought the house I grew up in in 1954, four years before they brought me into this world.

The house they bought sat on Bellefontaine* Avenue, one block west of Benton Boulevard. I was astonished when I last laid eyes on that street in 2018: For the better by the restoration of the tree canopy that fell to Dutch elm disease in the 1960s, making the street a green cathedral again; for the worse by the increasingly ramshackle houses I saw lining it, including one that had been the home of a good friend of mine who also attended Pembroke-Country Day in the grade behind me.

I think that the East Side has hit bottom economically and has no place to go but up from here. When and to what extent that will happen is anyone's guess, however.

*Pronounced "BELL-fountain." It's a Missouri thing, I guess; there's a small town in the Ozarks' upper reaches called Versailles ("ver-SALES").

Old 11-20-2022, 04:52 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
As a former MO resident, MA to live and visit.

Old 11-21-2022, 08:02 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,839,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Since someone brought this thread back from the dead, a post I should have followed up on:

I think that the East Side has hit bottom economically and has no place to go but up from here. When and to what extent that will happen is anyone's guess, however.

*Pronounced "BELL-fountain." It's a Missouri thing, I guess; there's a small town in the Ozarks' upper reaches called Versailles ("ver-SALES").
I got interested in Kansas City through the Strong Towns group who have a critique of the kind of suburban expansion Kansas City has practiced and advise making strategic investments in the core areas. Replanting the urban forest on Benton Boulevard could be one such but not enough on its own. Mr. D. Herbert Lipson's Philadelphia is fortunate to have you on the staff all these years with such knowledge and interest in cities. The city magazine is one journalistic innovation of the '60s that has survived pretty much intact while the Village Voice, Boston Phoenix, and the others are gone or nearly gone. I believe New York started out as the Sunday rotogravure section of the New York Herald Tribune and Clay Felker carried it out of the sinking ship when the Trib and one or two other NYC papers went out in the middle '60s.

Sure, Americanization of French place names is pretty commonplace, e.g., Calais (callous) Maine. At least in Kansas City the use of "boulevard" signifies something special, as it does in France, and not just another thing to call an ordinary street, as you find in Queens and Brooklyn.

Old 11-21-2022, 11:36 AM

14,183 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
I got interested in Kansas City through the Strong Towns group who have a critique of the kind of suburban expansion Kansas City has practiced and advise making strategic investments in the core areas. Replanting the urban forest on Benton Boulevard could be one such but not enough on its own. Mr. D. Herbert Lipson's Philadelphia is fortunate to have you on the staff all these years with such knowledge and interest in cities. The city magazine is one journalistic innovation of the '60s that has survived pretty much intact while the Village Voice, Boston Phoenix, and the others are gone or nearly gone. I believe New York started out as the Sunday rotogravure section of the New York Herald Tribune and Clay Felker carried it out of the sinking ship when the Trib and one or two other NYC papers went out in the middle '60s.

Sure, Americanization of French place names is pretty commonplace, e.g., Calais (callous) Maine. At least in Kansas City the use of "boulevard" signifies something special, as it does in France, and not just another thing to call an ordinary street, as you find in Queens and Brooklyn.
Thanks! And maybe that's another reason why my hometown has been called "the Paris of the Plains" by a few observers. (Streets designated "boulevard" in Kansas City are legally part of the city's park system and are so marked. With one exception — Independence Boulevard, the only one that's almost totally commercial — they are closed to trucks. There is one exception to this rule, however: Southwest Boulevard, which parallels the former Katy/now BNSF tracks heading southwest from Kansas City Union Station; it too is largely commercial/light industrial, and it's not part of the park system at all.)

Moreover, a French author, André Maurois, exclaimed in the diary of his American visit in 1946, "Who in America, or the world for that matter, knows that Kansas City is one of the loveliest cities on earth?" (He was talking about its residential districts mainly; he described the downtown as a typical American "violent combination of skyscraper and wasteland.")

And since we're talking Massachusetts here too, my first encounter with one of Lipson's mags was the copy of Boston I picked up when I arrived in Cambridge in the fall of 1976.

Lipson turned the Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce's promotional rag into the granddaddy of the city magazines in 1965, two years before Clay Felker spun New York off from the Herald Tribune.

I also briefly contributed columns to what was then called 435 magazine and is now (thank God) called Kansas City. (Interstate 435 is the beltway around the two Kansas Cities and their suburbs.)

I've read that Strong Towns report and agree with its main points. However, I don't consider the annexation spree a total mistake, for had it not taken place, Kansas City would probably be in the same shape St. Louis is now. (Boston doesn't really have any parallels to the emptied-out parts of either city, though parts of Somerville and Everett did empty out when they deindustrialized. The Assembly Square development in the former, however, did a good job of recycling the site of a long-gone Ford Motor Company plant.)

As for restoring the urban forest, as I think I mentioned in another thread, trees are not a prerequisite for making a street or place "magic," but they add to the magical effect. It's easy to overlook the decay that lines Benton Boulevard now thanks to the grandeur of the trees.

Old 11-21-2022, 08:31 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,619,106 times
Massachusetts is so small and congested I think would feel claustrophobic most of the time, especially in the cold and dark wintertime.

Old 11-21-2022, 08:43 PM

26,419 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Massachusetts is so small and congested I think would feel claustrophobic most of the time, especially in the cold and dark wintertime.
It appears you haven’t been to areas of Massachusetts west of 495. It’s mostly all residential houses, woods, hills, and plenty of rural towns, especially west of Worcester.

Old 11-22-2022, 08:37 AM

9,682 posts, read 9,402,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
It appears you haven’t been to areas of Massachusetts west of 495. It’s mostly all residential houses, woods, hills, and plenty of rural towns, especially west of Worcester.
I agree. Worcester is underrated and picturesque this time of year. There are plenty of open spaces and rolling hill areas.

Old 11-22-2022, 03:32 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
If it wasn't for cost of living weather and distance from family, I would be living in Boston Massachusetts.

Missouri has become more backwards by the minute. I am not a liberal or conservative but the legislation doesn't make sense. I do love my life in Saint Louis though. (if that makes any sense)

My vote goes to Massachusetts for both living and visiting.

Old 11-22-2022, 04:07 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I was raised in MA, and a few relatives still live there.
I have a daughter who lives in MO, but didn’t raise her children there.

Massachusetts is beautiful, but too expensive to live, and unless you have enough money money to live in the choice places, the drug issue is rampant.

MO, or anywhere in the Midwest is more affordable and a more wholesome place to raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City