Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 04:21 PM

9,902 posts, read 6,602,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Corpus christi has more palm trees with nice Seabreeze.
Corpus doesn't have more palm trees than La Porte/Nasa/Seabrook/Kemah area. Even though they've been improving that a lot lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Post Oak and parts of Westheimer are the only ones I can think of.
There's a lot more than that, but they're generally in wealthier areas. Such as River Oaks. They're not in every block of the city including the hoods like LA does.

Such as the River Oaks Shopping Center

Old 02-04-2021, 04:28 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,307,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
There's a lot more than that, but they're generally in wealthier areas. Such as River Oaks. They're not in every block of the city including the hoods like LA does.

Such as the River Oaks Shopping Center
I meant streetscaping in general, not palms.

Old 02-04-2021, 04:39 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
Having that said, I'm interested in seeing how the Texas Gulf areas overall development. I like these area of the state, as they have relatively congenial settings compared to elsewhere. Places in South Texas are due for a population boom, especially as WFH starts taking hold - Brownsville/SPI, for instance, has seen some interesting accumulation of tech presence due to recent developments from SpaceX, and the area has great beaches to boot.

In Houston, the eastern/southeastern locations like Galveston, Baytown/La Porte, Clear Lake, Kemah, and Nassau Bay have, perhaps, the best natural settings of all the metro, due to the greater presence of large natural water bodies, combined with better opportunity for lush vegetation + tropical gardening. The video below is a drive through Nasa Bypass, which connects to the Houston Space Center:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCK-CXv1WWU
That video reminded me of some of Florida suburbs.

Old 02-04-2021, 04:53 PM

6,080 posts, read 9,114,480 times
Looks like Florida is winning this. Thank you everyone for your thoughts.

I spent a year in suburban Tampa, and it was just ok IMO. Unfortunately I was robbed of my most recent attempt of visiting Texas last March due to the Rona. I was looking forward to trying Buccee's and HEB for the first time. Publix is a pretty good grocery store.

Old 02-04-2021, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Looks like Florida is winning this. Thank you everyone for your thoughts.

I spent a year in suburban Tampa, and it was just ok IMO. Unfortunately I was robbed of my most recent attempt of visiting Texas last March due to the Rona. I was looking forward to trying Buccee's and HEB for the first time. Publix is a pretty good grocery store.
My opinion is also Florida. In Texas (atleast Houston and Dallas), the suburbs are designed to where you basically never have to leave them. Their own major employment centers, shopping, nightlife dining, everything you need. But for someone like myself who would prefer go to the city for my shopping and recreation, Florida wins hands down. Not only are Florida suburbs more relaxing as a result, but also more beautiful.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:39 PM

11,812 posts, read 8,018,631 times
Some areas of Houston remind me of Miami to a very loose extent.

Thing about Texan suburbs is, once you've seen one, you've pretty much seen them all. They are generic and sterile. Nothing wrong with it, but they are very cookie-cutter and they do not change much between metro's If one were to blind fold someone and take them to Georgetown TX, a suburb of Austin, and then take them to McKinney TX, a suburb of Dallas they would most likely never knew they traveled anywhere far.

I think Houston probably has the most 'diversified' suburbs in terms of Architecture and feel of all of Texas IMO. Sugarland TX feels different than Katy TX, and Woodlands feels different than Atascocita.

Still though, many of the same housing designs and floor plans can be found abundantly all over the state. There's very little variation in TX suburbs.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:42 PM

8,504 posts, read 4,747,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerrimanPark75231 View Post
H-E-B Central Market has all the H-E-B brand items.
I’ve never understood the HEB thing. They’re nice stores, but it’s a grocery store and I’m not sure what I’m missing that so many people love.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Some areas of Houston remind me of Miami to a very loose extent.
Tbh, Katy area reminds me a lot of some Miami suburbs. Diverse latin population, but the community entrances with the fountains are similar. The difference is no palm trees in Katy.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I think Houston probably has the most 'diversified' suburbs in terms of Architecture and feel of all of Texas IMO. Sugarland TX feels different than Katy TX, and Woodlands feels different than Atascocita.
Funny how you didn't mention Clear Lake/NASA/Seabrook, the most differentiated suburban area of them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City