Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 09:00 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,488,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
No.

H-E-B is only in Texas, and the family has made it clear they have no intentions of expanding outside the state any time soon.

That said, Publix is Florida's equivalent to H-E-B.
They’re in Mexico as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It really depends where in FL and where in TX. If you’re comparing suburbs of Miami/Ft Lauderdale (Coral Gables, Boca Raton, Palm Beach, etc) to elsewhere, I’m inclined to go with FL. The sheer beauty and affluence cannot be compared to almost anywhere in TX.
I agree.

Old 02-05-2021, 09:55 AM

6,476 posts, read 4,077,968 times
Noone's really brought it up but were do the West Austin suburbs rank? Their all bougie, low density and expensive so not to many live in the large area, but the Hill Country suburbs of Austin and to a lesser extent San Antonio are very impressive. Arguably more impressive from an aesthetic perspective than anything else in Texas.

What detracts from Texas cities is their large city limits. Outside of Jacksonville, Florida has universally smaller central cities than Houston. This means theirs a good chance areas like Far North Dallas/North Dallas/Preston Hollow, Memorial, even Uptown, Houston would be suburbs in Florida. The area around the Domain etcetera would also be suburbs, Uptown San Antonio, Northwest San Antonio, Bay Area of Corpus Christi and Northwest El Paso as well.

In fact imho one of the best parts of suburban Texas is Northwest San Antonio from about Boerne towards Leon Valley. The intersection of 1604 and I-10, has UTSA, LaCantera, The Rim and 6 Flags. Definitely one of the nicer/nicest collection of truly suburban areas.

While the hilly suburbs are no California, and many of them are in the city limits, you would think some of nicer ones like NW SA/West Austin/NW El Paso would give Texas more of a run for it's money aesthetically.

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 02-05-2021 at 10:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2021, 10:21 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,488,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Noone's really brought it up but were do the West Austin suburbs rank? Their all bougie, low density and expensive so not to many live in the large area, but the Hill Country suburbs of Austin and to a lesser extent San Antonio are very impressive. Arguably more impressive from an aesthetic perspective than anything in

What detracts from Texas cities is their large city limits. Outside of Jacksonville, Florida has universally smaller central cities than Houston. This means theirs a good chance areas like Far North Dallas/North Dallas/Preston Hollow, Memorial, even Uptown, Houston would be suburbs. The area around the Domain etcetera would also be suburbs, Uptown San Antonio, Northwest San Antonio, Bay Area of Corpus Christi and Northwest El Paso as well.

In fact imho one of the best parts of suburban Texas is Northwest San Antonio from about Boerne towards Leon Valley. The intersection of 1604 and I-10, has UTSA, LaCantera, The Rim and 6 Flags. Definitely one of the nicer/nicest collection of truly suburban areas.

While the hilly suburbs are no California, and many of them are in the city limits, you would think some of nicer ones like NW SA/West Austin/NW El Paso would give Texas more of a run for it's money aesthetically.
Not in the same league with Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, Boca.. And most definitely not in the same league as Aventura, Sunny Isles, or Golden Beach

South Florida is flat as a pancake but still way more beautiful than West Austin.

Old 02-05-2021, 10:34 AM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Not in the same league with Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, Boca.. And most definitely not in the same league as Aventura, Sunny Isles, or Golden Beach

South Florida is flat as a pancake but still way more beautiful than West Austin.
Agreed. These suburbs have some of the wealthiest people on the planet. That’s not really something any Texas suburb can compete with.

The most affluent Texas suburbs are more comparable with places like Weston and Parkland. Affluent, but not exotically rich.

Old 02-05-2021, 10:39 AM

12,845 posts, read 9,578,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Noone's really brought it up but were do the West Austin suburbs rank? Their all bougie, low density and expensive so not to many live in the large area, but the Hill Country suburbs of Austin and to a lesser extent San Antonio are very impressive. Arguably more impressive from an aesthetic perspective than anything else in Texas.

What detracts from Texas cities is their large city limits. Outside of Jacksonville, Florida has universally smaller central cities than Houston. This means theirs a good chance areas like Far North Dallas/North Dallas/Preston Hollow, Memorial, even Uptown, Houston would be suburbs in Florida. The area around the Domain etcetera would also be suburbs, Uptown San Antonio, Northwest San Antonio, Bay Area of Corpus Christi and Northwest El Paso as well.

Suburbs or not, I'm not sure any of those areas compare to some of Florida's finest. Ocean Drive in Corpus is pretty cool though.

Old 02-05-2021, 10:58 AM

6,476 posts, read 4,077,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post

But this is what I mean with my post, if Miami was a city in Texas, Coconut Grove is already in Miami city itself, Coral Gables borders Coconut Grove and Coral Way which borders Brickell/Downtown Miami, Coral Gables is Inner Loop Houston distance away, it's akin to River Oaks being a separate community.
Aventura/Golden Isles/Sunny Isles are in that Flour Bluff/Memorial/Uptown San Antonio/Far North Dallas/NW El Paso/NW Austin distance, i.e good chance especially since their coastal (likely developed first) that a Miami with Texas laws would have snagged them up.

Boca Raton is far and away and would be a suburb in Texas. Obviously the Miami areas are more gorgeous than the Texas Areas, but the Texas areas are all in the city while the Miami areas are outside except for Coconut Grove.
This works in both directions, I don't think their is a suburban town as bad as Opa-locka in Dallas/Houston/San Antonio. Since only outer suburbs really exist in these metro areas, the worst suburbs are normally lower middle class, while Miami a significant portion, if not the majority of the hood is outside Miami City Limits, Orlando this is true to a lesser extent, and I'm unsure about Tampa.

Old 02-05-2021, 11:21 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Agreed. These suburbs have some of the wealthiest people on the planet. That’s not really something any Texas suburb can compete with.

The most affluent Texas suburbs are more comparable with places like Weston and Parkland. Affluent, but not exotically rich.
What would you describe the Villages in the Houston area. I definitely wouldn't say they are Weston or Parkland.

Old 02-06-2021, 09:45 AM

38 posts, read 23,328 times
The suburban areas in Austin and San Antonio hills are some of the prettiest in Texas, imo.

The best suburbs in Florida beat not just Texas but most other states. The development layout is just way better plus the design, etc.

Old 02-06-2021, 10:25 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
I'm a sucker for trees so I think the Woodlands is also a pretty area as well with all the greenery. Away from 45 of course.

Old 02-06-2021, 10:41 AM

35 posts, read 21,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I'm a sucker for trees so I think the Woodlands is also a pretty area as well with all the greenery. Away from 45 of course.
Agree, The Woodlands is one of my favorite suburbs in Texas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUXBKRyGTOA&t=698s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City