Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 08:51 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,713,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Thing about Texan suburbs is, once you've seen one, you've pretty much seen them all. They are generic and sterile. Nothing wrong with it, but they are very cookie-cutter and they do not change much between metro's If one were to blind fold someone and take them to Georgetown TX, a suburb of Austin, and then take them to McKinney TX, a suburb of Dallas they would most likely never knew they traveled anywhere far.

I will say this. I'm not aware of the other Texas metros having anything in their suburbs equivalent to Addison, Lake Carolyn in Las Colinas or Plano's Legacy development.

I guess to the point, Dallas' suburbs are different from the suburbs in others metros in that a lot of the trendy areas millennials/young professionals are outside the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2021, 09:21 PM

11,831 posts, read 8,027,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Funny how you didn't mention Clear Lake/NASA/Seabrook, the most differentiated suburban area of them all.
I haven't seen that one first hand yet.

Old 02-04-2021, 09:28 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,308,925 times
Houston's burbs have the most diversity in scenery. From the coastal burbs to the prairie burbs on the West side to the Piney Woods areas in the North. The only real variety in DFW burbs are the areas around water or in SW Dallas County where it's hilly.

Old 02-04-2021, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I will say this. I'm not aware of the other Texas metros having anything in their suburbs equivalent to Addison, Lake Carolyn in Las Colinas or Plano's Legacy development.

I guess to the point, Dallas' suburbs are different from the suburbs in others metros in that a lot of the trendy areas millennials/young professionals are outside the city.
It's the same way in Austin. Austin is largely unaffordable for the avg Millennial. The suburbs are becoming the next go-to thing. Round Rock and Leander are building their own mixed-use developments. Austin also has Domain which in some sense is similar to Legacy in the aspect of there being corporate towers / jobs in the mix of residential condo's and commercial space and it attracts plenty of millennials...Although I will say Domain is targeted for a younger crowd than Legacy is.

Old 02-04-2021, 09:33 PM

Quote:
It's the same way in Austin. Austin is largely unaffordable for the avg Millennial. The suburbs are becoming the next go-to thing. Round Rock and Leander are building their own mixed-use developments. Austin also has Domain which in some sense is similar to Legacy in the aspect of there being corporate towers / jobs in the mix of residential condo's and commercial space and it attracts plenty of millennials.
Isn't Domain technically in Austin propee though (and not the suburbs)?

Old 02-04-2021, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Isn't Domain technically in Austin propee though (and not the suburbs)?
Its in Austin proper but the area is very suburban and not dense at all. The residential areas due north of Domain don't look much different than Farmers Branch

Old 02-04-2021, 09:39 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,488,669 times
I’m only familiar with Dallas area suburbs and the Fort Lauderdale/Broward County area. My observation is the South Florida Suburbs are WAY more expensive. I don’t know how people make it out there because I’ve looked for jobs out there and they almost always pay less than what jobs pay in Dallas. I will say in my searches for homes excluding the premium water front areas, good areas in Dallas proper aren’t much cheaper than comparable areas in Fort Lauderdale.

Old 02-04-2021, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Its in Austin proper but the area is very suburban and not dense at all. The residential areas due north of Domain don't look much different than Farmers Branch
True, but Farmers Branch is an actual suburb and not a neighborhood in Dallas.

I was thinking suburban in the sense of actual municipalities outside of the city proper, not aesthethically suburban neighborhoods.

Old 02-04-2021, 09:48 PM

Quote:
True, but Farmers Branch is an actual suburb and not a neighborhood in Dallas.

I was thinking suburban in the sense of actual municipalities outside of the city proper, not aesthethically suburban areas.
In terms of actual incorporated suburbs, I can't think of anything that matches Legacy.

Houston has Lake Woodlands and Sugarland Townsquare though, so there are other suburbs with mixed use.

Old 02-04-2021, 09:59 PM

Quote:
In terms of actual incorporated suburbs, I can't think of anything that matches Legacy.

Houston has Lake Woodlands and Sugarland Townsquare though, so there are other suburbs with mixed use.
Sugarland Townsquare came in mind, but it's much smaller in scale than Legacy or Addison Circle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City