Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Illinois vs Massachusetts?
Illinois 36 39.13%
Massachusetts 56 60.87%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 08:52 AM

21,732 posts, read 12,873,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
No offense.... but as a former Chicagoan. You need to post "disparaging" post on the state of Illinois and those defending it without saying anything against your adopted state of Massachusetts.

I know I said absolutely nothing against Massachusetts as not my aim. I merely defended Illinois and commented on some history of northern Illinois as originally part of Wisconsin territory and the state boundary changed then into final approval of statehood.

No one should feel that Illinois is nothingness as a offensive mock to defend your new adopted state. Some maturity means defend a state .... and again, with out taking low blows to disparage the other state. One can like Chicago without mocking the whole rest of the state in my opinion also. It still offers a lot also.

Both states deserve a defense that needs no bashing the other. It is just a chat forum on opinions with stats....
You keep saying Illinois has a lot to offer beside Chicago. Please, for those of us who haven’t been to Illinois/what is it? Protected Parks and Forests aside because those exists in abundance in MA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2021, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
So Retiree Patterns between the two big states

MA --> Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina and New Hampshire
IL --> Texas, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Michigan?
For some reason I feel like people in MA also go to Arizona.

Old 03-07-2021, 08:57 AM

12,194 posts, read 8,080,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
For some reason I feel like people in MA also go to Arizona.
Yeah Ive seen a few people go to AZ. Very true.

My moms friend and his husband sold their brownstone in Boston and moved to Phoenix.

Old 03-07-2021, 09:38 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,902,084 times
Quote:
You keep saying Illinois has a lot to offer beside Chicago. Please, for those of us who haven’t been to Illinois/what is it? Protected Parks and Forests aside because those exists in abundance in MA
IL is ranked in the top ten states with agricultural receipts. So, a good deal of land used to produce crops that the country depends on. Here is the list....

https://beef2live.com/story-states-p...value-0-107252

Old 03-07-2021, 12:13 PM

1,803 posts, read 940,523 times
Quote:
This thread and votes has been decided. Some want to fight and go to a tit for tat back and forth. I mentioned a large scope of state parks then I expected and again, it is a large state that has more topography then any stereotype insist. Many think Texas is just flat also.

Still a simple search needs no accusing or should have anyone says any state is nothingness and claim Prairieland farms are among nothingness and basically it. Well, interstates clearly go though mostly endless farms. ALL STATES HAVE STATE PARKS TO BOAST OF.... but with all the endless just corn fields demeaning being labeled for IL and that's it ...... A CONSTANT < MOCK OF NOTHINGNESS GETS OLD.

A easy look-up tells us.....

https://www2.illinois.gov/dnr/public...s/00000715.pdf

From the link.

The Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) manages
- 309 state parks and recreational sites
- on more than 475,000 acres of land.

Illinois state parks feature some of the most unique
landscapes in America, including..

- the Lake Michigan shore at Illinois Beach;
- the river bluff vistas above the mighty Mississippi at Mississippi Palisades;
- the famed canyons and waterfalls at Starved Rock;
- the rare plants on the hill prairies of Jim Edgar Panther Creek;
- the sandstone walls of Giant City;
- and the internationally renowned bottomland swamps
along the Cache River.

A Mass. state sight gives me some below.... I HAVE NO DOUBT MASS. HAS GREAT PARKS TOO.

https://www.mass.gov/guides/visiting...te-parks-guide

From link.

- The Department of Conservation and Recreation manages over 150 state parks across the Commonwealth.
- These protected lands include mountains, freshwater beaches, saltwater beaches, and much more.

My state of PA .... never gets mocked on nothingness cause of its interstates show going though mountains etc that changes and winds. Therefore little need to point such things out.

Old 03-07-2021, 12:23 PM

^so nothing beside parks??

Productive Farmland sounds like the best answer, per Enean.

Old 03-07-2021, 12:28 PM

154 posts, read 102,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I lived in Chicago, and I can guarantee that most Chicagoans go to Wisconsin and/or Michigan MUCH more often than they go to places in IL. Many own summer cottages in Vilas County (northern Wisconsin), and condos in Milwaukee's Third Ward, where they go for week-ends. I know many also go to Michigan for week-end trips. For anyone to think that IL is their only option to get away, is ludicrous. Also, I have a family member in Door County, WI, and that is full of Chicagoans on week-ends. Lake Geneva in WI, has always been a HUGE draw from Chicago. As I stated before, Wisconsin and Michigan are the playgrounds of Chicago, not Illinois. BTW, the Chicago MSA includes counties in Wisconsin, just south of Milwaukee. People in MA who think they know IL, don't really have a clue. I can only speak for Chicago, and don't have a clue where people in southern IL go to get away. Chicago holds the bulk of the state's population, and I DO know where they go.
Yes, and they also go to NW Illinois as well. Wisconsin and Michigan are not the *only* places Chicagoans escape to. And yes, while only a few areas, there are spots in IL tons of Chicagoans escape to.

Old 03-07-2021, 12:34 PM

1,397 posts, read 865,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
This thread and votes has been decided. Some want to fight and go to a tit for tat back and forth. I mentioned a large scope of state parks then I expected and again, it is a large state that has more topography then any stereotype insist. Many think Texas is just flat also.

Still a simple search needs no accusing or should have anyone says any state is nothingness and claim Prairieland farms are among nothingness and basically it. Well, interstates clearly go though mostly endless farms. ALL STATES HAVE STATE PARKS TO BOAST OF.... but with all the endless just corn fields demeaning being labeled for IL and that's it ...... A CONSTANT < MOCK OF NOTHINGNESS GETS OLD.

A easy look-up tells us.....

https://www2.illinois.gov/dnr/public...s/00000715.pdf

From the link.

The Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) manages
- 309 state parks and recreational sites
- on more than 475,000 acres of land.

Illinois state parks feature some of the most unique
landscapes in America, including..

- the Lake Michigan shore at Illinois Beach;
- the river bluff vistas above the mighty Mississippi at Mississippi Palisades;
- the famed canyons and waterfalls at Starved Rock;
- the rare plants on the hill prairies of Jim Edgar Panther Creek;
- the sandstone walls of Giant City;
- and the internationally renowned bottomland swamps
along the Cache River.

A Mass. state sight gives me some below.... I HAVE NO DOUBT MASS. HAS GREAT PARKS TOO.

https://www.mass.gov/guides/visiting...te-parks-guide

From link.

- The Department of Conservation and Recreation manages over 150 state parks across the Commonwealth.
- These protected lands include mountains, freshwater beaches, saltwater beaches, and much more.

My state of PA .... never gets mocked on nothingness cause of its interstates show going though mountains etc that changes and winds. Therefore little need to point such things out.
Why does everything have to be putting something down? I get we need farmland it’s a necessity. Why are you so defensive. You really should be on Illinois’ tourism team.

Old 03-07-2021, 12:36 PM

154 posts, read 102,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
So Retiree Patterns between the two big states

MA --> Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina and New Hampshire
IL --> Texas, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Michigan?
I'd be surprised if Arizona wasn't the number one state for Illinois expats. Most of the people I know who left Illinois moved there, and the rest moved to either a neighboring state or Florida.

Very few Chicagoans move to Michigan. Many do move to Indiana, Wisconsin, and Iowa.

Old 03-07-2021, 12:43 PM

1,803 posts, read 940,523 times
Quote:
^so nothing beside parks??

Productive Farmland sounds like the best answer, per Enean.
Good you came around. Scroll back a couple groups of 10 post where some pointed out quaint small cities that attract visitors a IL resident posted too. I do not boast I know the state of IL like a homer. I knew Chicago and even after 6+years.... only knew fraction of its suburbs as not where my haunts took me. I also had relatives then as I was young .... where Wisconsin was a Playground and learned it for myself. Helped I had a Uncle who was from WI yet lived his adult life after WW2 in Chicago and a home in one of Chicago's suburbs surrounded by the city. He then retired and built a home in WI near the popular Family resort called Wisconsin Dells/Lake Delton. So had plenty of seeing that state and its quaint small cities.

Really, MA won this poll. I am not sure what more you want at this point? Just finally more came in to give some boost to IL. Much was for Boston and therefore Mass. for longer stretches.

As I say.... every state and city deserves not to be mocked to boast yours or favorite. Some offer more then stereotypes give. Just I will let locals who know the whole state of IL much better. It is vast also. There is a divide within the state of IL of North and South. Was always there and I gave a reason and link. Similar for Upstate NY and NYC probably. Even in my sate many of Philly feel a divide and negative view by many in state also. The New Jersey shore is huge for getaways also in a neighboring state next door. Does not lessen what PA has ....

I will also say I learned hopefully, to avoid having some bait me (as I might see it). Got me in the past so takes a lot for me to respond to them again.

Last edited by NoHyping; 03-07-2021 at 12:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City