Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Illinois vs Massachusetts?
Illinois 36 39.13%
Massachusetts 56 60.87%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 10:46 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,935,621 times

Advertisements

Just as Bostonians don't realize what they're missing until they visit Chicago, an Illinoisan doesn't realize what they're missing until they visit Massachusetts.

If you want to live in a city, go to Chicago.. For a lot of reasons.

If you don't want to live in a city, and can afford it, go to Massachusetts.. For a lot of reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2021, 10:52 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,893,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Just as Bostonians don't realize what they're missing until they visit Chicago, an Illinoisan doesn't realize what they're missing until they visit Massachusetts.

If you want to live in a city, go to Chicago.. For a lot of reasons.

If you don't want to live in a city, and can afford it, go to Massachusetts.. For a lot of reasons.
I personally love Chicago and Chicagoland, but Massachusetts as a state has always impressed me. Just the scenery and the towns. I love Boston too. I would love to see more of the state, but on a state-level, I'd probably pick Mass. On a city/metro level, I'd pick Chicago (Illinois). Both are nice states.

Old 03-05-2021, 10:58 AM

10,093 posts, read 14,491,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
I'm surprised that polling is this close, frankly. As a state, I think MA wins this walking away. Of course, Chicago vs. Boston in a vacuum would go to Chicago just as easily, which isn't a slight to Boston as much of an acknowledgment of how awesome Chicago is (someone mentioned earlier it's their favorite "summer city", and I've been saying that for years).

But MA punches waaaay above it's weight from a physical size perspective. It has hundreds of miles of coastline (both sandy beaches and the rockier, more new englandy-er variety), mountains, cool small towns & cities with nice downtowns, and is better located in proximity to other stuff as well. And two really nice islands. Once you leave Chicago, I'm not sure what in IL could compare (I've driven west out of Chicago and at least from a Northern IL perspective, my answer would be "not much").
So true.

Folks are fleeing Illinois for a reason. Taxes high of course, but areas across the state are declining in general.

Illinois tax situation is pretty dire, so I'm interested to see how that works out, if it does. Not a good situation.

Taxes aside though, Massachusetts is just a more diverse geographical state, and frankly, it is prettier and has that New England classy thing going on.

No Illinois shade, but Massachusetts is great.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:42 AM

23,585 posts, read 24,114,904 times
I’d pick Massachusetts.

Old 03-05-2021, 12:17 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,792,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
IL has the better economy? Yikes
Chicago is better in terms of salary/COL ratio. Both cities have plenty of opportunities. If we’re talking about unemployment rate or something like that, then MA. I don’t think that’s what the OP meant though.

Old 03-05-2021, 12:22 PM

21,701 posts, read 12,848,727 times
I mean the economy DOES encompass salary/COL. It's not strictly the "availability of jobs." That's not the entirety of an economy by any stretch. One might say Chicago has a better economy than Boston as its better serve **** populace and lends itself to more disposable income...

Old 03-05-2021, 12:29 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,893,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
I'm surprised that polling is this close, frankly. As a state, I think MA wins this walking away. Of course, Chicago vs. Boston in a vacuum would go to Chicago just as easily, which isn't a slight to Boston as much of an acknowledgment of how awesome Chicago is (someone mentioned earlier it's their favorite "summer city", and I've been saying that for years).

But MA punches waaaay above it's weight from a physical size perspective. It has hundreds of miles of coastline (both sandy beaches and the rockier, more new englandy-er variety), mountains, cool small towns & cities with nice downtowns, and is better located in proximity to other stuff as well. And two really nice islands. Once you leave Chicago, I'm not sure what in IL could compare (I've driven west out of Chicago and at least from a Northern IL perspective, my answer would be "not much").
I've been on this site for long enough to know that these polls are far from scientific and don't mean much . Especially with only 40 some votes

Old 03-05-2021, 01:19 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,367,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Economy: IL
Better Investment to Buy-in: MA not sure about this, MA has become overpriced, Chicagoland undervalued
More National Influence: IL
Sports: IL
Weather: MA- Not sure about this as well, much better in IL this year at least.
Quality of Living: MA
Cost of Living: IL
Taxes: MA
Food Scene: IL
Diversity: IL
Culture/Character: IL
Public Transportation: IL
Nightlife: IL
Recreation: MA
Scenery: MA
People: Tie
Boston or Chicago: Chicago
Boston Suburbs vs Chicago Suburbs: Chicago
Secondary Cities: IL
Rural Areas: MA
Better State for Single Young People: IL
Better State for Families: IL
Better State for Retirees: MA
Best Overall: IL
Nice assessment- I would agree with this 100% , I have lived in both.

Old 03-05-2021, 01:34 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,935,621 times
I think the strongest argument to be had in favor of IL (Chicagoland) is how truly convenient of an area it is on a day to day basis.

In a vast majority of Chicagoland, seemingly nothing is more than 15 minutes away.. Stores, malls, certain kind of food, multiple commuter stops, etc.

If you like more daily convenience, Chicagoland is more universally well rounded than Greater Boston.

I've spent most of my life in both (city and now suburbs in both), so here is my perspective:

Economy: MA
Better Investment to Buy-in: MA has continued to appreciate at a higher/faster clip in my lifetime (by far, more recently)
More National Influence: IL
Sports: What does this mean? Local high school talent? Professional fandom?
Weather: MA (more sunshine, and that's the only reason)
Diversity: IL
Culture/Character: MA
Public Transportation: IL
People: N/A
Boston Suburbs vs Chicago Suburbs: Boston Suburbs
Secondary Cities: MA (how is this even debatable?)
Better State for Families: MA (generally safer, higher state level education, far more accessible beaches/mountains, great trails/waterways abound, weekend getaway advantage, etc.)
Better State for Retirees: MA
Best Overall: MA

Old 03-05-2021, 01:42 PM

21,701 posts, read 12,848,727 times
Economy: MA
Better Investment to Buy-in: MA
More National Influence: IDK
Sports: MA
Weather: MA
Diversity: MA (as a state, more ethnically diverse)
Culture/Character: MA
Public Transportation: MA (as a state)
People: IDK
Boston Suburbs vs Chicago Suburbs: Chicago
Secondary Cities: MA
Better State for Families: IL (MA has a bottom of the barrel birthrate, too expensive for families)
Better State for Retirees:IL (too expensive in MA)

Best Overall: MA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City