Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Illinois vs Massachusetts?
Illinois 36 39.13%
Massachusetts 56 60.87%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 09:58 PM

1,397 posts, read 865,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Uhhhhh....I think we should be happy for states that actually grow our food. If every state was populated from end to end, where would we grow our crops? Seriously, think about that. California has a lot of land to grow crops, too, that are sparsely populated, as well. It's really, not that hard.
I didn’t say I don’t appreciate it. It’s absolutely necessary. For someone that grew up on the East coast south of Maine it’s hard to understand this level of “sparsely populated.” I’d live in Chicago but this is a state comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2021, 06:54 AM

7,283 posts, read 10,624,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
That’s the only area I could actually get a street view because there’s literally nothing for miles. At least Holyoke has people
Really not getting your point here. Outside of Eastern MA, the state gets quite "sparsely populated" quite quickly. Honestly bizarre to criticize Illinois for a phenomenon that's true of literally every state outside of its metro areas.

Most people cherish and look to rural areas as assets to "get away from the rat race." Eastern Massachusetts definitely qualifies in that regard.

Lacking in people and commerce--that's obvious. But undeveloped, unscathed and unbastardized landscape? That's priceless in my book.

Old 03-06-2021, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Really not getting your point here. Outside of Eastern MA, the state gets quite "sparsely populated" quite quickly. Honestly bizarre to criticize Illinois for a phenomenon that's true of literally every state outside of its metro areas.

Most people cherish and look to rural areas as assets to "get away from the rat race." Eastern Massachusetts definitely qualifies in that regard.

Lacking in people and commerce--that's obvious. But undeveloped, unscathed and unbastardized landscape? That's priceless in my book.
Except you have 0 reason to go to massive swaths of Illinois. In mass outside of Boston metro there are approx 2.2 million people in the states remaining 6000 or sq miles. There are vacation areas, places you would seek out. There are 3 million people that inhabit 47000 sq miles in Illinois. It’s not like those 47000 square miles are loaded with areas I would seek out. When you get away from the rat race in Illinois where are you going exactly ?

Old 03-06-2021, 07:33 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,902,084 times
Quote:
Except you have 0 reason to go to massive swaths of Illinois. In mass outside of Boston metro there are approx 2.2 million people in the states remaining 6000 or sq miles. There are vacation areas, places you would seek out. There are 3 million people that inhabit 47000 sq miles in Illinois. It’s not like those 47000 square miles are loaded with areas I would seek out. When you get away from the rat race in Illinois where are you going exactly ?
Truth be told, they go to Michigan and Wisconsin.

Old 03-06-2021, 07:47 AM

Quote:
This is true

Old 03-06-2021, 08:35 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,638,265 times
Quote:

The west coast of Michigan is awash with Illinois license plates every weekend.

Old 03-06-2021, 08:42 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,902,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
The west coast of Michigan is awash with Illinois license plates every weekend.

As is much of Wisconsin...especially heading to the Northwoods in the summer. Almost every other car, it seems.

Old 03-06-2021, 09:00 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,779,359 times
A ton of Illinois plates in the Missouri Ozarks as well.
Illinois escapees end up all over in addition the upper midwest. Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee, etc. and in no small quantity either.
However, I choose Illinois over Massachusetts for this thread.
My previous statement about “in reality” just means that Illinois is much more familiar than Massachusetts which seems very isolated and foreign to me.
I also prefer a stronger middle-class blue-collar area.
In real reality, both are a very hard NO.

Old 03-06-2021, 09:03 AM

12,194 posts, read 8,080,607 times
Thank you for the posts so far.. Im trying to get a better understanding for Illinois and what it really is.

Boston is a great city, Chicago is even better. I'm familiar with both, as both are within my top 3 favorite cities depending on the day and how much I like Seattle (It seriously is a rotation between the three). Id say Chicago edges out Boston the more I explore it...

I know about Massachusetts (Moreso, Greater Boston... no offense to Western MA but most of what Im going to say is about Greater Boston and not the whole state. Sorry.) being from there. If you have the money it is one of the best states to live in. World-class amenities and education/healthcare systems. Top-notch public schools, amazing town centers and suburbs. Cant beat it. Obviously not for everyone, a little sleepy and elitist, people from Boston suburbs look down on outsiders a lot whether you be from NYC or DC or the South, its always something. Classism.

But Illinois obviously has the better city, Chicago, at every turn has something to offer... From Lincoln Square, Lincoln Park, Old Town, Rogers Park, Albany Park, Clybourne, Wrigleyville, Armitage Avenue, etc... you can walk that 10 mile stretch to the loop and be constantly in dense great urbanity with immense diversity and elite dining/nightlife. Only a few cities, if any can top it when you factor in transit+walkability+affordabbility+diversity. Boston is great too, it has a lot of perks from being exceptionally clean, beautiful architecture, the best Little Italy in North America, and a few other things like a lot of capital investment and growth potential. But Boston is sterile in a lot of ways. Especially compared to Chicago.

Now my knowledge of Chicagoland really does fall off of a cliff outside of the Loop due north to Evanston and around the Schiller Park/Rosemont area. My knowledge of Illinois is even less so... Outside of Chicago, my only interaction with the rest of the state is that I applied to get my PhD at Champaign/Urbana... and State Farm is based in Bloomington IL lol.

I'm comparing this to MA because I need a base level to compare the two. I know Greater Boston inside and out. So every comment I see is helpful. Because it shows me where IL compares compared to similarities in MA. I need a baseline. CityData is actually more helpful than you might think.

So I like what I see on here so far. Thanks for all the posts and insight so far, keep it coming!

Old 03-06-2021, 12:41 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,239,039 times
Quote:
Maybe I’m ignorant but where in eastern MA is worth visiting? Springfield, Pittsfield? Not trying to make a point, genuinely curious. I know the AT runs through the extreme eastern end of the state so I’m sure there’s some good hiking there but what else?

I suppose I just assumed that Bostonians seeking a bucolic experience would go to Maine/Vermont/New Hampshire over eastern MA because I literally never hear anyone discuss that area, whether on this forum or elsewhere. And if that’s true, you can’t really ding Illinois if Chicago people like to vacation in other states if people from Boston tend to do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City