Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Phoenix, AZ vs. Denver, CO
Phoenix, AZ 72 42.86%
Denver, CO 96 57.14%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 03:03 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,732,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEggHead View Post
I'm not sure arrogant is the right word - people from Denver definitely have a lot more civic pride and seem to think highly of where they live, which in my opinion is fine. It's also more educated and white collar overall so you get a little more snootiness I guess. People from Phoenix do tend to be friendlier, more confident, and a little more live-and-let-live, but there's also something sort of off-kilter and - dare I say - trashy about people from Phoenix and much of Arizona really. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it does have sort of a Florida-light vibe.
Scottsdale/Cave Cree/Paradise Valley/Fountain Hills/Gilbert/Chandler/Biltmore trashy? How so? I don't think of trashy areas as those with median home prices over $400K and median incomes in the 6 figure territory.

A more common and probably more fitting description of Phoenix is LA light, although in reality there are a lot of Midwestern transplants here too. But Florida-light, I don't see it but I've only been here for 20 years, what would I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2021, 03:03 PM

88 posts, read 85,879 times
Quote:
I'm not sure arrogant is the right word - people from Denver definitely have a lot more civic pride and seem to think highly of where they live, which in my opinion is fine. It's also more educated and white collar overall so you get a little more snootiness I guess. People from Phoenix do tend to be friendlier, more confident, and a little more live-and-let-live, but there's also something sort of off-kilter and - dare I say - trashy about people from Phoenix and much of Arizona really. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it does have sort of a Florida-light vibe.
Phoenix has wonderful people for the most part. Tucson has really trashy people in my opinion and from experiences there. Tucson felt as rude as the upper northeast with the hostility and people saying mean things to you in public. Phoenix is so friendly and has some of the nicest people you'll ever encounter.

Now, Denver is much friendlier than Tucson, but Phoenix is much friendlier than both cities.

Old 03-22-2021, 03:08 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,297,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
6 months my fanny. The only period I find truly unbearable is mid June until around September 10th
Personally, as one who likes outdoor activities (biking, hiking, etc.), I would find May through Sept intolerable and probably the first half of Oct, too. Even if you start before sunrise, fuggedaboutit! Think how comfortable you would be without being in air conditioning, even beyond those 6 months. In cooler weather, you can always dress for the temperature.

I tried to post the image of a temp chart from weather.com, but it's not working. Here's the link:

https://www.rssweather.com/climate/Arizona/Phoenix/

Old 03-22-2021, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaricopaCountyResident View Post
Phoenix has wonderful people for the most part. Tucson has really trashy people in my opinion and from experiences there. Tucson felt as rude as the upper northeast with the hostility and people saying mean things to you in public. Phoenix is so friendly and has some of the nicest people you'll ever encounter.

Now, Denver is much friendlier than Tucson, but Phoenix is much friendlier than both cities.
Yeah, similar to my experience as well, I'm outdoors a lot and end up talking to tons of people on the trails around Phoenix about all kinds of random topics. I volunteered recently for vaccination support at the Cards stadium and saw 100's of people in my 8 hour shift, I went into it partially worried if we'd face some angry or irritated personalities but couldn't believe how incredibly nice everyone was. We had people giving us snacks and thanking us over and over for being there.

Old 03-22-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Personally, as one who likes outdoor activities (biking, hiking, etc.), I would find May through Sept intolerable and probably the first half of Oct, too. Even if you start before sunrise, fuggedaboutit! Think how comfortable you would be without being in air conditioning, even beyond those 6 months. In cooler weather, you can always dress for the temperature.

I tried to post the image of a temp chart from weather.com, but it's not working. Here's the link:

I love outdoors activities, I usually hit 3,000 miles a year cycling and hike a lot too, most of it here in Phoenix. May and October in Phoenix is like summer in Denver, so if it's not intolerable there for you in July you can make it here in May and October June-September is the tough stretch and those of us who love outdoor activities get up really early or go at night in those months. During extreme heat stretches, 112+ days or so is about my limit for morning/evening activities, I'll shorten my regular routes or opt for the gym instead.

Old 03-22-2021, 03:15 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post

I have typically had to work outdoors year round, you adapt. After my first year living in Phoenix, my blood definitely thinned. 50s started to feel cold, but didn't start to feel overhot until 113°F instead of 100°F (believe it or not, those 13°F are a much bigger difference in reality then on paper)

I still have to work outdoors, but now work in Greater LA, so don't really work in the kind of heat that I'm used to anymore

Old 03-22-2021, 04:23 PM

30,344 posts, read 19,143,696 times
Quote:
I think that's a pretty good stereotype of both cities, can't disagree. In Phoenix you have Scottsdale (Orange Co.) and vicinity and then you do have a significant red neck kind of a vibe in a few areas (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Old 03-22-2021, 04:26 PM

30,344 posts, read 19,143,696 times
Quote:
6 months my fanny. The only period I find truly unbearable is mid June until around September 10th
Yep and even then, at night it's not that bad especially if you get in a pool. I think Phoenix has a more enjoyable climate than anywhere outside of California, Hawaii and a few other areas of Arizona.

Old 03-22-2021, 05:38 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,726 times
All of this stuff is subjective but I'll give my opinion:

Quote:
1. What is the weather like in Phoenix vs. Denver? Which city has better weather?
Depends if you like heat or cold. If you hate the heat, you will NOT like Phoenix. If you hate snow, you won't like Denver. I like heat more but Phoenix is too oppressive for me.

Quote:
2. What is the traffic like in Phoenix vs. Denver? Which city has better and less traffic?
I've never lived in a place where traffic didn't suck. It sucks everywhere. My suggestion is to live close to the things you want to do or work, both if you can.

Public transit is better in Denver though.

Quote:
3. What are the people like in Phoenix vs. Denver? Which city has friendlier and more down to earth people? Which city has less rude people?
I've met friendly and rude people in Phoenix. Most of the rude people were in Scottsdale. When I first moved to AZ, I ran out of gas while driving. Someone drove me to the gas station to grab gas and then drove me back to my car. FWIW I'm a guy so I'm less worried about someone kidnapping me.

Quote:
4. City politics in Phoenix vs. Denver? Is Denver more liberal or more republican? We know Phoenix is very republican.
Depends where you are in Phoenix. Central and South Phoenix are fairly blue. North Phoenix and the East suburbs lean red. Maricopa has historically leaned red but that is shifting.

Denver is much bluer than Phoenix.

Quote:
5. Entertainment and shopping in Phoenix vs. Denver? Which city has better and more entertainment and more shopping with higher end stores with the ritzy feel?
I haven't gone to a mall in over 3 years so I have no idea. Fashion Square is very nice, idk what they have in Denver.

Quote:
6. Service in Phoenix vs. Denver? Which city has better more efficient service? An example is one doing grubhub. In Denver, do they make you wait 10-20 minutes to pick up the food before delivering it to the customer? Do you also have to wait in line in Denver to do a pickup or will people let you cut in line in Denver?
I'd imagine Phoenix and Denver are similar, no clue though.

Quote:
7. Drivers in Phoenix vs. Denver. Which city has better less aggressive drivers who don't speed up or honk their horns and give you the finger? Which city are you less likely to get cut off to where you almost hit them?
Of all the places I've lived, Phoenix did have the worst drivers but it wasn't by a wide margin. Every city has terrible drivers because people in general are terrible drivers. I think Phoenix can be worse because of the wide straight streets which allow people to speed well over the limit. Denver is a grid as well so I would imagine it's similar.

Quote:
8. Road rage in Phoenix vs. Denver. Which city has less road rage?
See above answer

Quote:
9. Public restrooms in Phoenix vs. Denver. Which city has more public restrooms available? Are public restrooms so hard to find in Denver? In Phoenix, I feel in some areas, finding a restroom without a code on the door and a restroom to use overall is challenging.
Honestly, if I ever have to use the restroom while I'm out, I just run into a supermarket. There's usually too many people in Target or Fry's to tell who's actually shopping and who just needed to take a leak.

Quote:
10. Making friends in Phoenix vs. Denver. Which city is it easier to make friends? Which city is it easier to approach people without being ignored?
Generally, I found that people in Phoenix were willing to chat with you, reminded me a lot of Texas. I always join a couple clubs or activities, I'm sure Denver has those as well.

Quote:
11. The final question. Overall, which city is better? Phoenix or Denver?
I'd probably pick Denver over Phoenix because it has a more cohesive urban element. I was surprised when I visited how much busier and how much more connected downtown Denver and the surrounding neighborhoods are than Phoenix. Phoenix is improving but Denver has it beat on that area.

Old 03-22-2021, 05:42 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,726 times
Quote:
This is subjective to everyone. I think the weather is annoying starting in May, then becomes unbearable in June, then goes back to annoying at the end of September, and then finally cools off in October. So anywhere from 4-6 months of "ugh" weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
View detailed profiles of: