Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Phoenix, AZ vs. Denver, CO
Phoenix, AZ 72 42.86%
Denver, CO 96 57.14%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 12:45 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,283,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Fair enough but it's not over 100 for 24 hours per day and your location in the metro, including outside of the concrete jungle, where many of us outdoorsy types exercise on summer mornings/nights, you experience different temperature variables then what you're quoting at the airport.

But it's true, if you're considering a move to Phoenix you should like the heat. I do realize though that many people are not overly outdoorsy types, if you're normal lifestyle is going to an office, going shopping, hitting the gym, and being at home then this is a pretty easy climate to live in. The warm weather outside won't impact your life like snowstorms would.
I was in Scottsdale when I saw those temps. But you are correct, it is not above 100 the entire day. By 10pm it's in the upper 90s and when the sun starts to rise around 5am it's upper 80s to low 90s.

And you're right about the warm weather: you don't have to shovel sunshine. Once the sun goes down, then you don't have to worry about your car getting hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2021, 12:46 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
That's subjective. Most people that live in Phoenix are probably tolerating those temps. A lot of the country doesn't care for temps above 95F. Personally, I feel that the temps are well into the "ugh" range by Memorial Day. I remember a few Junes in Phoenix where I saw temps in the 110s by June 13.
Again, if you live here, and you spend at least an hour or more outside every day (which I do), you acclimate.

I still remember working nights in the first half of 2019, and still needing a light jacket/hoody in May that year after about midnight

Old 03-24-2021, 12:50 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,363,210 times
Is there a both have their great points, but because Phoenix is hot as an iron 6 months out of the year and Denver with its snow, at least this year, made Chicago look like Miami, so I vote neither, button?

Old 03-24-2021, 01:04 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Is there a both have their great points, but because Phoenix is hot as an iron 6 months out of the year and Denver with its snow, at least this year, made Chicago look like Miami, so I vote neither, button?
6 months is hogwash, the hottest 6 months here are April 20th to October 20th, on both days the average high is below 90°F, and average lows on those 2 days are in the low to mid 60's.

Again, the real hot stretch to those of us who live here is Jun 15th to Sept 10th. During that stretch highs are consistently above 100 save a day here and a day there, and lows are usually in the upper 70's to Low 90's. It is not consistently hot outside of that central 3 months

Old 03-24-2021, 01:20 PM

503 posts, read 801,000 times
Quote:
Chicago easily has a worst climate than both imo but to each their own

Last edited by Gfitz1010; 03-24-2021 at 01:30 PM..

Old 03-24-2021, 01:20 PM

129 posts, read 111,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
6 months is hogwash, the hottest 6 months here are April 20th to October 20th, on both days the average high is below 90°F, and average lows on those 2 days are in the low to mid 60's.

Again, the real hot stretch to those of us who live here is Jun 15th to Sept 10th. During that stretch highs are consistently above 100 save a day here and a day there, and lows are usually in the upper 70's to Low 90's. It is not consistently hot outside of that central 3 months
I agree. I really see it like two seasons:

Aprox 4 months of really hot weather.
Aprox 8 months of San Diego like weather.

I think there are significantly more good/perfect weather days than bad.

Too many people are over exaggerated and like to paint a picture of it being brutally hot for half or even most of the year. It isn't.

Last edited by theTelecommuter; 03-24-2021 at 01:28 PM..

Old 03-24-2021, 02:23 PM

4,401 posts, read 4,297,223 times
Quote:
That’s a major exaggeration for both cities. Both have pretty decent climates compared to most cities.

Old 03-25-2021, 08:30 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,393,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theTelecommuter View Post
I agree. I really see it like two seasons:

Aprox 4 months of really hot weather.
Aprox 8 months of San Diego like weather.

I think there are significantly more good/perfect weather days than bad.

Too many people are over exaggerated and like to paint a picture of it being brutally hot for half or even most of the year. It isn't.

This is probably true.

For those not familiar with it, the 90* at 10 pm in Phoenix during those extreme months is a shock to the system no different than a sub-freezing wind chill temp in Denver in March may be to others.

I'd also say that while it has some extreme high temps and even though they are limited in calendar range, Phoenix is weather is much more predictable than Denver. This alone will make some prefer its climate compared to the bi-polar nature of of Denver's weather at 6000+ feet in altitude. There is no seasonal wardrobe in CO. You need to have access to shorts, flip flops, sweaters, and boots year round and may use them year round. If you don't like this variability, Denver's weather will drive you nuts.

Old 03-25-2021, 08:58 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,737,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
This is probably true.

For those not familiar with it, the 90* at 10 pm in Phoenix during those extreme months is a shock to the system no different than a sub-freezing wind chill temp in Denver in March may be to others.

I'd also say that while it has some extreme high temps and even though they are limited in calendar range, Phoenix is weather is much more predictable than Denver. This alone will make some prefer its climate compared to the bi-polar nature of of Denver's weather at 6000+ feet in altitude. There is no seasonal wardrobe in CO. You need to have access to shorts, flip flops, sweaters, and boots year round and may use them year round. If you don't like this variability, Denver's weather will drive you nuts.
Why would 90 with no sun be such a shock? 90 degrees at 10pm in Phoenix means it's the middle of summer, most places one may be coming to Phoenix from probably experience temperatures in the 90s that time of year. Yes, it's a surprise that it's that hot at night but it's not that your system has no idea what a 90 degree air temperature is like and is shocked by it. That's a common value most American cities experience in summer months.

In March, even within Denver itself, it can be 60 degrees for a high one day and in the 30's the next, that's a shock to the system even without one being from elsewhere. You're not going to fly into Phoenix from 30 degree weather in Denver and have a 90 degree 10pm temperature.

By the way, I host people from out of town in Phoenix a lot for work. Those visiting in the summer have often told me they thought it would be a lot worse based on the common misconceptions. Many are shocked it's not 120 every day LOL.

Old 03-25-2021, 09:05 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,737,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
That’s a major exaggeration for both cities. Both have pretty decent climates compared to most cities.

I agree, I could cut it in either city just prefer Phoenix climate as I favor warm/hot weather over cold/snowy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
View detailed profiles of: