Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Phoenix, AZ vs. Denver, CO
Phoenix, AZ 72 42.86%
Denver, CO 96 57.14%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 07:00 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,810,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
Its because people are starting to wake up. So much focus goes towards the "lagging" urban environment, but lost in all that is the fact that Phoenix is top tier when it comes to desirable climates. The intense summer heat gives way to the warmest winters in the country outside of California or Florida. Loaded with citrus agriculture and palm trees, sorely lacking in this very cold country. People are naturally going to flock to that.
I struggle with the summers here moreso than anyone but in the grand scheme of things I do good. I'd do significantly better in Denver's climate to be honest. If the goal is to have no snow, Phoenix is one of the best places to be. It's pretty rare here but it's still nearby if you wanted it, unlike Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
I think it's a combination of the Denver hype wearing off a bit and Phoenix getting much better.

7 years ago, Denver was extremely popular due to it being one of only 2 major cities to have legal weed and still being affordable for a city located near such spectacular scenery. Now, 10 out of the 15 largest metros have legal weed, and Denver's cost of living continues to skyrocket each year. Some of the qualities that made Denver such a hot city are starting to diminish.

Phoenix's rapid growth is really working in its favor. Downtown is getting more vibrant, the transit system is expanding, the area is becoming less conservative, and housing still remains affordable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denverpro View Post
Call me when its there, I'm not doing that "it's getting there" crap, been there done that.
As a born and raised person Phoenician it really is becoming less conservative overtime, I've seen it with my own eyes. We have two democratic senators (Sinema though I think is a DINO but I'm not going to get into it here). Municipal politics are pretty blue. County is not. There is a good chance that this year, with our Governor being termed out, we can flip our state politics. People are extremely upset with Ducey on both sides of the aisle. Arizona has always been an interesting case compared to other states, big red city with very blue secondary cities. Really it's Maricopa and Pinal County influence that outshines everything else. But Phoenix is starting to flip more, particularly Maricopa County. It'll be curious to see what it's like moving forward.

Regarding the transit system, ADOT is working on developing an intercity rail between Phoenix and Tucson, and a commuter rail system for the Phoenix metro exclusively. Don't forget that Amtrak is trying to reroute the Sunset Limited back to Phoenix in addition to that if you've been paying attention to the news (so in other words three heavy rail systems). This is in addition to the three light rail system expansions that have been approved, under construction, and the Tempe streetcar that is opening within a couple of months. The Tempe streetcar isn't even open yet and Tempe is already in the works to expand it further. Mesa is working on it's own streetcar / light rail system on its west side, to connect with the light rail and Tempe streetcar. We are also just wrapping up the Phoenix SkyTrain expansion at Sky Harbor, which does connect to places outside of the airport although barely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 04:57 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
I think it's a combination of the Denver hype wearing off a bit and Phoenix getting much better.

7 years ago, Denver was extremely popular due to it being one of only 2 major cities to have legal weed and still being affordable for a city located near such spectacular scenery. Now, 10 out of the 15 largest metros have legal weed, and Denver's cost of living continues to skyrocket each year. Some of the qualities that made Denver such a hot city are starting to diminish.

Phoenix's rapid growth is really working in its favor. Downtown is getting more vibrant, the transit system is expanding, the area is becoming less conservative, and housing still remains affordable.
I don't know about affordable (for the wages most people make). Median single family home is now over $400k, Median 1 bedroom apartment is over $1,100/month and Median 2 bedroom is close to $1,500/month, yet the Median individual (not household, as that generally has 2 earners) still brings in less than $35k/year.

The 1 bedroom I rented for $700/month in 2013 is now $1,100/month for the same unit. Peoples wages didn't make that kind of a jump in the last 8 years (60% increase)

Old 04-07-2021, 07:49 AM

211 posts, read 136,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
" weed" would be a criteria? Really?

"Transit system" You mean the Light Rail? A system used to deliver meth and Fentanyl through out the valley. That light rail? I have property off the Light Rail in Mesa, since it's creation, I have to pick up needles off the back of the property

Then there is Phoenix with it clueless 30 something Mayor, Kate Gallegos, who can't even keep a marriage together, with her Leftist Chicago Ex, who has and out of control violent crime rate, 4 times that of Denver From her ads she thinks things are going great

At least the train system in Phoenix is expanding in a way that makes sense - Central Denver is essentially crippled by RTD, so the dense neighborhoods that need it / would make the system more viable are bypassed for industrial areas w/ parking lots and suburban stations. It's fine to have commuter rail, but let's call it what it is, and not act like Denver's transit model is some sort of gold standard...we can't even get BRT on Colfax built.

And if we're talking mayors, let us not forget Denver's (Michael Hancock) is also a hot mess. Sleazy, somehow both corrupt and feckless, had his own Covid "I can do whatever the f*ck I want, you cannot" moment. Has both a housing and homeless crisis on his hands, neither of which he really cares about.

Last edited by boomtown boi; 04-07-2021 at 08:34 AM..

Old 04-07-2021, 08:31 AM

8,610 posts, read 10,142,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I struggle with the summers here moreso than anyone but in the grand scheme of things I do good. I'd do significantly better in Denver's climate to be honest. If the goal is to have no snow, Phoenix is one of the best places to be. It's pretty rare here but it's still nearby if you wanted it, unlike Florida.

As a born and raised person Phoenician it really is becoming less conservative overtime, I've seen it with my own eyes. We have two democratic senators (Sinema though I think is a DINO but I'm not going to get into it here). Municipal politics are pretty blue. County is not. There is a good chance that this year, with our Governor being termed out, we can flip our state politics. People are extremely upset with Ducey on both sides of the aisle. Arizona has always been an interesting case compared to other states, big red city with very blue secondary cities. Really it's Maricopa and Pinal County influence that outshines everything else. But Phoenix is starting to flip more, particularly Maricopa County. It'll be curious to see what it's like moving forward.

Regarding the transit system, ADOT is working on developing an intercity rail between Phoenix and Tucson, and a commuter rail system for the Phoenix metro exclusively. Don't forget that Amtrak is trying to reroute the Sunset Limited back to Phoenix in addition to that if you've been paying attention to the news (so in other words three heavy rail systems). This is in addition to the three light rail system expansions that have been approved, under construction, and the Tempe streetcar that is opening within a couple of months. The Tempe streetcar isn't even open yet and Tempe is already in the works to expand it further. Mesa is working on it's own streetcar / light rail system on its west side, to connect with the light rail and Tempe streetcar. We are also just wrapping up the Phoenix SkyTrain expansion at Sky Harbor, which does connect to places outside of the airport although barely.
I don't get it. Since when has being a democratic-run city or state been a gold standard? I've been pretty happy with the infusion of companies that have grown or moved to AZ (TSMC, Intel, many others and possibly Samsung) due to its business-friendly environment under Ducey's watch, not to mention our improved relationship with Mexico.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:03 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I don't get it. Since when has being a democratic-run city or state been a gold standard? I've been pretty happy with the infusion of companies that have grown or moved to AZ (TSMC, Intel, many others and possibly Samsung) due to its business-friendly environment under Ducey's watch, not to mention our improved relationship with Mexico.
Kansas had a "business friendly" environment under Brownback, and how did that work out for them?.....

Old 04-07-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Kansas had a "business friendly" environment under Brownback, and how did that work out for them?.....
That has nothing to do with Phoenix and as a Phoenician, you cannot discredit what I am speaking about. Stay on topic.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:44 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
That has nothing to do with Phoenix and as a Phoenician, you cannot discredit what I am speaking about. Stay on topic.
You brought it up. It's valid.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You brought it up. It's valid.
Again, we're discussing Ducey, not Brownback nor hippopotamuses. Anything substantive you'd like to offer?

Old 04-07-2021, 10:05 AM

211 posts, read 136,669 times
Quote:
Again, we're discussing Ducey, not Brownback nor hippopotamuses. Anything substantive you'd like to offer?
I wouldn't be touting the "success" of regressive state governments right now, given what's happening in Georgia. I believe AZ becoming more blue and progressive will only enhance the appeal of Phoenix/Tucson. Same can be said of Atlanta & GA if they can get their sh*t together...it's a very interesting city and Stacy Abrams would be a great leader of that state.

Also blue states can still be business friendly - look at Colorado, with the MLB All-Star operation moving here, in addition to all of the other companies...

Old 04-07-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtown boi View Post
I wouldn't be touting the "success" of regressive state governments right now, given what's happening in Georgia. I believe AZ becoming more blue and progressive will only enhance the appeal of Phoenix/Tucson. Also blue states can still be business friendly - look at Colorado, with the MLB All-Star operation moving here, in addition to all of the other companies...
Again, what does this have to do with Ducey?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
View detailed profiles of: