Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Phoenix, AZ vs. Denver, CO
Phoenix, AZ 72 42.86%
Denver, CO 96 57.14%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 08:28 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,338,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
We are seriously looking at both Phoenix and Denver for relocation amongst others (Texas and Florida) but....

I like Sacramento(where we currently live) better than both Denver and Phoenix because Sacramento is green in the winter and spring, much greener than either Denver or Phoenix.

A typical street in Sacramento will have one house with all desert flora-cactus and succulents, new smaller citrus trees, a huge old growth orange or lemon tree. While another house, next door, is full of huge 50 foot shade trees-elms and oaks similar to what you find back east, older yards have 100 foot tall California Redwood trees, next to giant palms trees and of course citrus just about everywhere. The soil is so rich in Sacramento a Valley Oak tree just naturally started growing in my front yard, either the wind blew in a seed and it took root, or a squirrel brought in an acorn... one Valley Oak tree can shade your entire house completely.

I never thought about it much but deserts don't have natural grass growing in abundance naturally. I never thought I would miss grass, wild natural grasses, the natural bare land of the plains, midwest, the east, have grass, deserts don't grow grass. Sacramento has natural grass like the grasses of the midwest and southern US, Phoenix has none or next to zero natural grasses; its mostly naturally sand and rock.

The mountains and rock formations of Phoenix are aesthetic, I get it, but it gets old real fast, Those mountains and rock need life.. living things growing on them......not just Saguaros, which get old really fast too.

Phoenix only looks "nice" to me where there is a lot of the natural Sonoran desert flora but even that is so underwhelming so little shade and the trees are really small in comparison to the natural Oaks and big shade trees of Sacramento. Sacramento has naturally rich soil, not sand and rock. It's very easy to grow just about anything in Sacramento, huge Redwoods grow and live decades, huge indigenous Oaks, huge Ponderosa Pine while you can have desert flora as well as cactus, and succulents, huge aloe vera.

I haven't voted because I'm still torn between the two. Phoenix definitely feels more friendly, feels like laid-back friendly California of yesteryear. There is a lot to like about Denver's nearby front range and downtown, but its so smug (Bay Area smug) meets Seattle freeze.

Trivial...
but Phoenix's airport is so much nicer (inside) than Denver's. Denver's airport looks really cool with the "tents" from the outside but very dated (90's dated) in the inside. Phoenix, Sacramento(SMF), SFO, LAX airport layouts so much nicer. Denver's is laid-out like Atlanta's, they suck, trains underground instead above ground, endless long concourses. As big as Dallas's airport is......still better than Denver.
Everyone says it's laid back here. What makes you think it's smug?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 09:11 AM

94 posts, read 184,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Everyone says it's laid back here. What makes you think it's smug?
I've lived in Denver for over 12 years and their is a smugness about the people. Not sure why. Some very nice people also, but when I first started working in Denver, I was shocked by the smug, pompous attitudes, of some of the people I worked with. If you made eye contact with them and said Hi, you might get a nod of the head back, or maybe not. Same goes for neighbors. I had a few that were friendly, but most of them were difficult to get a wave out of them. It seems like it takes a long time for people to warm up to you in Denver. People tend to live in their own bubble. I was originally from the Midwest, so I wasn't use to that at all.

Denver does have a reputation of being laid back, but also a reputation of being somewhat cold and aloof. Maybe it's a transplant thing. I don't really know.

Old 04-09-2021, 09:20 AM

94 posts, read 184,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
We are seriously looking at both Phoenix and Denver for relocation amongst others (Texas and Florida) but....

I like Sacramento(where we currently live) better than both Denver and Phoenix because Sacramento is green in the winter and spring, much greener than either Denver or Phoenix.

A typical street in Sacramento will have one house with all desert flora-cactus and succulents, new smaller citrus trees, a huge old growth orange or lemon tree. While another house, next door, is full of huge 50 foot shade trees-elms and oaks similar to what you find back east, older yards have 100 foot tall California Redwood trees, next to giant palms trees and of course citrus just about everywhere. The soil is so rich in Sacramento a Valley Oak tree just naturally started growing in my front yard, either the wind blew in a seed and it took root, or a squirrel brought in an acorn... one Valley Oak tree can shade your entire house completely.

I never thought about it much but deserts don't have natural grass growing in abundance naturally. I never thought I would miss grass, wild natural grasses, the natural bare land of the plains, midwest, the east, have grass, deserts don't grow grass. Sacramento has natural grass like the grasses of the midwest and southern US, Phoenix has none or next to zero natural grasses; its mostly naturally sand and rock.

The mountains and rock formations of Phoenix are aesthetic, I get it, but it gets old real fast, Those mountains and rock need life.. living things growing on them......not just Saguaros, which get old really fast too.

Phoenix only looks "nice" to me where there is a lot of the natural Sonoran desert flora but even that is so underwhelming so little shade and the trees are really small in comparison to the natural Oaks and big shade trees of Sacramento. Sacramento has naturally rich soil, not sand and rock. It's very easy to grow just about anything in Sacramento, huge Redwoods grow and live decades, huge indigenous Oaks, huge Ponderosa Pine while you can have desert flora as well as cactus, and succulents, huge aloe vera.

I haven't voted because I'm still torn between the two. Phoenix definitely feels more friendly, feels like laid-back friendly California of yesteryear. There is a lot to like about Denver's nearby front range and downtown, but its so smug (Bay Area smug) meets Seattle freeze.

Trivial...
but Phoenix's airport is so much nicer (inside) than Denver's. Denver's airport looks really cool with the "tents" from the outside but very dated (90's dated) in the inside. Phoenix, Sacramento(SMF), SFO, LAX airport layouts so much nicer. Denver's is laid-out like Atlanta's, they suck, trains underground instead above ground, endless long concourses. As big as Dallas's airport is......still better than Denver.

You're thinking of relocation to Denver or Phoenix, but doesn't seem like you care for either one, and you like your current location better than either? Why would you leave then?

Old 04-09-2021, 09:51 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,627,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblue38 View Post
You're thinking of relocation to Denver or Phoenix, but doesn't seem like you care for either one, and you like your current location better than either? Why would you leave then?
Poster is probably near retirement and might not want to spend retirement in California

Old 04-09-2021, 12:41 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,338,107 times
Quote:
I've lived in Denver for over 12 years and their is a smugness about the people. Not sure why. Some very nice people also, but when I first started working in Denver, I was shocked by the smug, pompous attitudes, of some of the people I worked with. If you made eye contact with them and said Hi, you might get a nod of the head back, or maybe not. Same goes for neighbors. I had a few that were friendly, but most of them were difficult to get a wave out of them. It seems like it takes a long time for people to warm up to you in Denver. People tend to live in their own bubble. I was originally from the Midwest, so I wasn't use to that at all.

Denver does have a reputation of being laid back, but also a reputation of being somewhat cold and aloof. Maybe it's a transplant thing. I don't really know.
Been here 3 years and haven't experienced anything noteworthy as far as friendliness, good or bad. I find that most people are equally friendly all over the country.

Old 04-09-2021, 06:29 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,640,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Stop. Flagstaff is not peers with Boulder.

4-5 stories of density is actually a decent model if there is significant amounts of mixed use buildings constructed. It would actually benefit Phoenix and Tempe to construct shorter buildings rather than massive supertalls in order to create a better street level feel. 6 5-story buildings is better than 1 30-story building and Phoenix has more than enough lots to fill.
Flag and Boulder both have major universities, so that's more in comparison.

Old 04-09-2021, 07:13 PM

2,934 posts, read 2,022,286 times
Quote:
Chim is always complaining about wildfires and homeless. I think the juice just isn't worth the squeeze for him, anymore.

Chim: check out auberry, ca.
30 minutes from fresno and 30 minutes to shaver lake. Weather is like chico, but a little better.
It's a pretty area with a low fire risk.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Auberry/32.../home/58270505

Old 04-09-2021, 08:02 PM

6,916 posts, read 8,292,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Chim is always complaining about wildfires and homeless. I think the juice just isn't worth the squeeze for him, anymore.

Chim: check out auberry, ca.
30 minutes from fresno and 30 minutes to shaver lake. Weather is like chico, but a little better.
It's a pretty area with a low fire risk.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Auberry/32.../home/58270505
Keep dreaming.

Old 04-09-2021, 08:14 PM

Quote:
See my other posts.

Old 04-09-2021, 08:23 PM

Quote:
I should explain further, there is a lot to like about both Denver and Phoenix. But I'm always going to compare to where I'm now, Sacramento.

Sometimes you don't appreciate what you have until you venture out and you realize what's really nice about where you live.

Still yet, we are searching and trying out different places outside of California: Denver, Phoenix, Orlando, Dallas, Minneapolis, Vegas, San Antonio, Austin.....the list keeps expanding,

We might end up staying in Sacramento, only time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
View detailed profiles of: