Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Phoenix, AZ vs. Denver, CO
Phoenix, AZ 72 42.86%
Denver, CO 96 57.14%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2021, 05:07 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,743,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
This, it snowed a foot here a few weeks ago and by the end of next day the pavement was bone dry, not sure what sort of voodoo magic went on. Even when we have 3-foot snowstorms we are still nice and warm indoors unlike Texas.

With regards to Denver friendliness, I've lived all across the US and I wouldn't say Denverites are unfriendly or rude like my Jersey friends, they are just indifferent which is very typical of Western cities with transplants. A lot of people tend to be independent minded and don't care to small talk.

I've only flown through Phoenix once and my connecting flight was delayed because the tarmac was too hot to take off.

Denver airport makes the list for most interrupted flights, Phoenix does not. I fly in/out of Sky Harbor a lot and have never had a delay due to heat.

https://www.smartertravel.com/worst-...flight-delays/
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 05:38 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,959,505 times
Having lived in both, the people in both cities give the same vibe. Very libertarian and laid back. Lots of outdoorsy type people.
Although Denver is more the Subaru outdoor type and Phoenix is more of the 4X4 type (if you have lived in either you know the difference)

Both have good and bad weather. Denver is way more bi polar. Blizzard on Monday, shorts on Tuesday is a common forecast.

Phoenix weather is more predictable.

Traffic is similar.

Both are full of California transplants. Deep blue cities and deep red suburbs.

I have never paid attention to the bathroom situation. But if the door needs a code, you probably aren't in a good neighborhood. Without that lock, you better have a bottle of Narcan ready.

The door lock isn't there for fun.

ALSO want to add the amount of hail damage you get on your vehicle in the Denver metro makes the Phoenix heat more bearable :-)

Old 03-23-2021, 09:22 PM

23,575 posts, read 24,102,669 times
I’d pick Denver.

Old 03-24-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
I know this comment is old now, but I gotta reply to this. It's not like snow just accumulates in Denver. For the vast majority of that time, the snowstorm comes through, then it's sunny and all the snow melts, and before you know it, you're out hiking in a hoodie again under warm sun. Unlike Phoenix, where the summer heat just never ends until it ends for good, months down the road.

Oh, and re: "snow in May/October" thing...again, it's a possibility, but it's not like it affects daily life all that much. Especially in May, place emphasis on the part about the snow melting almost immediately. I live in the highest city in the country, and snowfall in May melts almost immediately even up here.

It's like people saw it snow 2 inches in Denver in May once and said "OMG it snows in May there, how horrible" without realizing that it's gone 4 hours later and everyone's outside in shorts.
You do understand the rationale you've used for justifying the climate in Denver is the same for Phoenix right? You're just the opposite end of spectrum, guess what happens in Phoenix every single day even in the summer months... yep, the sun sets. Which gives you an opportunity to go hiking/biking/walking during the early hours of the morning where you'll experience similar temperatures to a summer day time high in Denver. Phoenix is also at the base of Arizona's high country, within a short drive you're in much higher elevations with cooler temperatures.

Using your own line, it's like people see a high temperature of 117 and say OMG it's 120 there in June, without realizing a few hours later the sun goes down and it's no longer in the 100s.

Old 03-24-2021, 09:45 AM

157 posts, read 137,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
You do understand the rationale you've used for justifying the climate in Denver is the same for Phoenix right? You're just the opposite end of spectrum, guess what happens in Phoenix every single day even in the summer months... yep, the sun sets. Which gives you an opportunity to go hiking/biking/walking during the early hours of the morning where you'll experience similar temperatures to a summer day time high in Denver. Phoenix is also at the base of Arizona's high country, within a short drive you're in much higher elevations with cooler temperatures.

Using your own line, it's like people see a high temperature of 117 and say OMG it's 120 there in June, without realizing a few hours later the sun goes down and it's no longer in the 100s.
The other CO poster also was trying bad to downplay the weather, but the average low is around 40 and under for 8-9 months out of the year in Denver (much worse in the hiking areas). While it is true the snow melts the next day, unless you sleep till noon every day you're not going to get by with a hoodie most mornings here.

Old 03-24-2021, 09:59 AM

1,207 posts, read 1,284,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post

In the summer in Phoenix, the temperature usually doesn't drop below 100 until sometime between 9 and 10pm, well after the sun has gone down. It's the reason why we don't have daylight savings time. I remember that I would send pics of the temperature to friends on multiple nights every summer and they'd always think I was crazy.

I always like to be honest with people because the oppressive heat is one the biggest downside about Phoenix. If you can handle mid May through mid September, then you'll be fine in Phoenix.

Old 03-24-2021, 10:01 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,635,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
In the summer in Phoenix, the temperature usually doesn't drop below 100 until sometime between 9 and 10pm, well after the sun has gone down. It's the reason why we don't have daylight savings time. I remember that I would send pics of the temperature to friends on multiple nights every summer and they'd always think I was crazy.

I always like to be honest with people because the oppressive heat is one the biggest downside about Phoenix. If you can handle mid May through mid September, then you'll be fine in Phoenix.
Mid May to Mid June is still tolerable, especially in years like 2015&2019 where May is well below average

Old 03-24-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denverpro View Post
The other CO poster also was trying bad to downplay the weather, but the average low is around 40 and under for 8-9 months out of the year in Denver (much worse in the hiking areas). While it is true the snow melts the next day, unless you sleep till noon every day you're not going to get by with a hoodie most mornings here.

Yeah, that's true. I've lived in Northern Utah and the New England, so I get where the poster is coming from on differences between say upstate NY and the mountain west where it's sunny a good percent of the time. But it's still damn cold, however you slice it.

Old 03-24-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post

Fair enough but it's not over 100 for 24 hours per day and your location in the metro, including outside of the concrete jungle, where many of us outdoorsy types exercise on summer mornings/nights, you experience different temperature variables then what you're quoting at the airport.

But it's true, if you're considering a move to Phoenix you should like the heat. I do realize though that many people are not overly outdoorsy types, if you're normal lifestyle is going to an office, going shopping, hitting the gym, and being at home then this is a pretty easy climate to live in. The warm weather outside won't impact your life like snowstorms would.

Old 03-24-2021, 12:43 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,284,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Mid May to Mid June is still tolerable, especially in years like 2015&2019 where May is well below average
That's subjective. Most people that live in Phoenix are probably tolerating those temps. A lot of the country doesn't care for temps above 95F. Personally, I feel that the temps are well into the "ugh" range by Memorial Day. I remember a few Junes in Phoenix where I saw temps in the 110s by June 13.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
View detailed profiles of: