Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is most comparable to Georgia?
Florida 1 1.05%
South Carolina 13 13.68%
North Carolina 60 63.16%
Tennessee 1 1.05%
Alabama 19 20.00%
Other 1 1.05%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 11:06 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,532,299 times

Advertisements

I think Georgia and North Carolina are similar, but South Carolina and Alabama seem more like family to Georgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 11:18 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Also, NC re-elected its Democratic governor, while the GA governor is still a quite conservative Republican.
Kemp oversaw his own election and purged voter rolls to get that win in 2018, so that has to be taken into account. Also the midterm elections that year witnessed the historically deep red GA-6 Congressional district (which produced Newt Gingrich) in northern suburban Atlanta flip to the Dems and they retained the seat last year. GA also sent two Democratic Senators, one Black and one Jewish, to DC in the run-offs earlier this year. And while NC did re-elect Cooper, it re-elected Tillis as Senator also.

Quote:
NC voted for Obama in 2008 while GA didn't.
There's a lot of purple going on in these two states, but both of them are moving toward the Dems over time. GA has a larger black population than NC, likely making it statistically a faster process, which is causing new election laws in GA to slow that down.
After going blue in 2008, it's kinda weird that NC hasn't done so since. If anything, I thought it would've done so again last year.

And we'll definitely have to see how everything plays out in GA with new election laws. Smh...

Old 03-29-2021, 11:50 AM

771 posts, read 625,882 times
I think a lot of people are underestimating the connection between Georgia and South Carolina, from peach production, a history of plantation agriculture, both states having one SEC school (UGA, USC) and one ACC school (Georgia Tech, Clemson), and the crystal clear similarities between the Charleston area ("Lowcountry") and Savannah.

Also, I think the reason why North Carolina is slightly more conservative than Georgia ties back to North Carolina's larger Appalachian region (western North Carolina) and the fact that North Carolina's population is fairly spread out among mid-sized cities and suburbs. These areas tend to be a little more conservative. For example, the suburban communities surrounding the Triad. On the other hand, Georgia revolves around one major city, and the Atlanta area is much bigger than Charlotte or the Triangle.

Old 03-29-2021, 12:17 PM

16,698 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
I think a lot of people are underestimating the connection between Georgia and South Carolina, from peach production, a history of plantation agriculture, both states having one SEC school (UGA, USC) and one ACC school (Georgia Tech, Clemson), and the crystal clear similarities between the Charleston area ("Lowcountry") and Savannah.

Also, I think the reason why North Carolina is slightly more conservative than Georgia ties back to North Carolina's larger Appalachian region (western North Carolina) and the fact that North Carolina's population is fairly spread out among mid-sized cities and suburbs. These areas tend to be a little more conservative. For example, the suburban communities surrounding the Triad. On the other hand, Georgia revolves around one major city, and the Atlanta area is much bigger than Charlotte or the Triangle.

Piedmont Triad+Metrolina(Charlotte)+Research Triangle(Raleigh-Durham) = Metro Atlanta

Old 03-29-2021, 12:53 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,560,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Piedmont Triad+Metrolina(Charlotte)+Research Triangle(Raleigh-Durham) = Metro Atlanta
All set in a base of South Carolina, piece of N Fla, sliver of TN, a little bit of AL and there you have GA. Easy formula.

Old 03-29-2021, 01:01 PM

3,161 posts, read 2,209,438 times
While Georgia's population is very slightly larger than North Carolina's, the number of votes cast in the 2020 presidential election was rather different. There were about 5 million votes in Georgia, and over 5.5 million in North Carolina. This indicates that more Georgia residents aren't voting at all - whether this is due to suppression, lack of interest, lack of eligibility (non-citizens or under age 18), or some combination of reasons.

Biden received about 210,000 more votes in NC than he did in GA despite losing NC. Trump received almost 300,000 more votes in NC than in GA.

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/...&off=0&elect=0

Old 03-29-2021, 01:19 PM

771 posts, read 625,882 times
By and large, there aren't drastic differences in regards to politics between North Carolina and Georgia. Both states are quite purple, even with Georgia voting for Biden and North Carolina voting for Trump. For some reason, North Carolina tends to go for Republican presidents and elect Democratic governors at the same time. Some areas in North Carolina (Durham, Chapel Hill) are just as liberal as Atlanta, too.

With that being said, apart from politics, I would still argue that Georgia has a stronger connection with South Carolina. This might sound silly but South Carolina and Georgia feel a lot more "southern" to me, coming from North Carolina. Wilmington has a lot of southern flavor but it doesn't come close to Charleston or Savannah, for example. For the most part, South Carolina and Georgia can be described as "Deep South," while North Carolina is more so "Upper South" akin to Virginia or Tennessee, etc. I'm not sure if that means anything in this day and age, though.

Last edited by costellopresley82; 03-29-2021 at 01:30 PM..

Old 03-29-2021, 01:26 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,617,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
By and large, there aren't drastic differences in regards to politics between North Carolina and Georgia. Both states are quite purple, even with Georgia voting for Biden and North Carolina voting for Trump. For some reason, North Carolina tends to go for Republican presidents and elect Democratic governors at the same time. Some areas in North Carolina (Durham, Chapel Hill) are just as liberal as Atlanta, too.

With that being said, apart from politics, I would still argue that Georgia has a stronger connection with South Carolina. This might sound silly but South Carolina and Georgia feel a lot more "southern" to me, coming from North Carolina. Wilmington has a lot of southern flavor but it doesn't come close to Charleston or Savannah, for example. For the most part, South Carolina and Georgia can be described as "Deep South," while North Carolina is more so "Upper South" akin to Tennessee or Kentucky, etc. I'm not sure if that means anything in this day and age, though.
Upper South just describes location honestly. Regarding which state feeling more southern between NC and GA, you really can't tell a difference. Also, with NC being more rural than GA, I'm not even how you're measuring the "southernness" of these states.

Old 03-29-2021, 01:36 PM

393 posts, read 261,757 times
North Carolina has very similar politics (both battleground states), population (10 million+ and growing), climate (humid summer-ocean influenced-mountainous inland), and economy (large, fast rising, and tech hubs).

Old 03-29-2021, 02:51 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Upper South just describes location honestly. Regarding which state feeling more southern between NC and GA, you really can't tell a difference. Also, with NC being more rural than GA, I'm not even how you're measuring the "southernness" of these states.
Southern and rural are not mutually exclusive. Most people from the Upper South and Deep South could easily tell you the differences. Outsiders, not so much. States can be culturally different but compare on economics and population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City