Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is most comparable to Georgia?
Florida 1 1.05%
South Carolina 13 13.68%
North Carolina 60 63.16%
Tennessee 1 1.05%
Alabama 19 20.00%
Other 1 1.05%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 02:58 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
I think a lot of people are underestimating the connection between Georgia and South Carolina, from peach production, a history of plantation agriculture, both states having one SEC school (UGA, USC) and one ACC school (Georgia Tech, Clemson), and the crystal clear similarities between the Charleston area ("Lowcountry") and Savannah.
Yep, and Augusta and Columbia share historic and geographic similarities, Augusta's metro includes SC counties, and Savannah shares regional assets, most notably the airport, with neighboring Beaufort/Hilton Head. It seems like half of the statues in the squares of Savannah are of South Carolinians. The only two Black Southern Senators are from SC and GA, and both states are where Gullah/Geechee peoples are largely concentrated.

Just a few other things that came to mind.

Quote:
Also, I think the reason why North Carolina is slightly more conservative than Georgia ties back to North Carolina's larger Appalachian region (western North Carolina) and the fact that North Carolina's population is fairly spread out among mid-sized cities and suburbs. These areas tend to be a little more conservative. For example, the suburban communities surrounding the Triad. On the other hand, Georgia revolves around one major city, and the Atlanta area is much bigger than Charlotte or the Triangle.
Georgia also has its large rural Black population plus the scores of Black transplants that have relocated to metro Atlanta over the years. Along with the sizable and rapidly growing Asian, Hispanic, immigrant, and LGBT populations, it makes sense that GA's populace is a bit less conservative
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 02:59 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,617,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Southern and rural are not mutually exclusive. Most people from the Upper South and Deep South could easily tell you the differences. Outsiders, not so much. States can be culturally different but compare on economics and population.
I'm aware that the terms are different, which is why I put a clarification statement in my post. Though, rural is definitely associated with southern.

Also, I'm southern, and I'm yet to notice a difference in the southern culture between NC and GA. Other than nitpicking, it's virtually impossible to spot significant differences.

Old 03-29-2021, 03:31 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times
75 years ago, I think Georgia and SC were probably much more alike. But Georgia and NC have taken the New South economic mantra and ran with it in ways not found to the same extent in SC.

Old 03-29-2021, 07:55 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,560,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
75 years ago, I think Georgia and SC were probably much more alike. But Georgia and NC have taken the New South economic mantra and ran with it in ways not found to the same extent in SC.
Well, it seems like SC is really trying to take our Peach State reputation GA and NC may exude the same traits more as time passes but I can see Greenville be influenced by Charlotte and or ATL more and more.

Old 03-30-2021, 09:19 AM

6,562 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Like Illinois, in that One Big Metro dominates the state, I don't see why Florida is even in the poll
It's only because it borders Georgia to the south and that's pretty much how the poll choices are set up for similar threads. I'd give an honorable mention to Michigan more than Illinois. I always thought of Georgia as a warmer version of Michigan. It is also a mono-metro state, although Grand Rapids is larger and closer to big city status than Savannah, Columbus, or Augusta. Both states are about the same in size and population. Their college towns are similar and similar distance to the large metros of their respective states. They are also both in the middle politically/swing states.

Old 03-30-2021, 09:33 AM

771 posts, read 625,882 times
If Georgia is a southern version of Michigan, than North Carolina is a southern version of Ohio.

Old 03-30-2021, 10:36 AM

Quote:
If Georgia is a southern version of Michigan, than North Carolina is a southern version of Ohio.
I once met a Pennsylvanian who moved to North Carolina and described it as a southern version of PA.

Old 03-30-2021, 11:00 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times
I always thought SC was Ohio, the three cities and also the number of Ohio license plates one sees in Charleston.

Old 03-30-2021, 11:46 AM

Come to think of it I think of Florida as Ohio, as far as college football rivals (Michigan vs. Ohio State and Georgia vs. Florida). They also both have multiple large and mid-size cities.

Old 03-30-2021, 12:05 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
I look at Georgia as like Illinois (lone big dominant city) and NC like Ohio (three metro areas equaling the one dominant city in Georgia/Illinois).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City