Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city/metro will add commuter rail?
Atlanta 25 62.50%
Houston 10 25.00%
Pittsburgh 1 2.50%
Detroit 2 5.00%
Cleveland 2 5.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 11:34 PM

3,452 posts, read 3,376,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBrown View Post
Out of these, I would say Atlanta, which already has the superior train transit out of the choices, makes the most sense. Though, when I lived briefly in Clayton County about 15 years ago, I remember being talk of a commuter service from downtown to Macon through the train line that went through Jonesboro, Lovejoy, Hampton, Griffin, etc., but it was shot down by the residents in those mentioned areas.

But Atlanta has changed drastically in that time and I would think that if that same proposal (not sure if it is still even an option) would have a lot better chance of happening now, on top of additional services to the northern parts of the metro.

Cleveland actually had commuter service in the past, ironically to Youngstown. I say ironically because Cleveland-Akron-Canton service would have made more sense rather than Youngstown. I'm not saying that it's likely, but there is at least some talk of getting commuter service from Cleveland-Akron-Canton via the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad, which does run touristy type trips. But the line is there if there ever was a serious push to make it a commuter system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuyaho...cenic_Railroad

Out of these options, Cleveland probably makes the next best sense since, like Atlanta, it already has heavy rail service and there is a clear option to link it to Akron-Canton route. Unfortunately, Ohio is one of the most anti-rail states (due to the gerrymandered districts that cater to the rural areas) so unless huge federal money is involved, will be very hard to make happen. Cleveland's current heavy rail line is funded almost entirely through local and federal funds.
Some years back in the 2010s, all Atlanta region counties had a proposal called TSPLOST on the ballot, which would've greatly improved transit funding along with transportation funding, if it had been approved. Sadly, Atlanta area voters rejected that proposal. Also a few Atlanta area counties have done local referendums to improve transit, and in both Cobb and Gwinnett, sadly both counties have kept shooting down referendums to improve county bus transit funding. Cobb voters as I remember rejecting better funding transit, by a bigger margin vs. Gwinnett. And IIRC, the last time Cobb had it on the ballot was in like 2016 or 2018 I think? At least in Gwinnett, it seems slowly that more people are starting to vote yes, each time it's been brought on the ballot. In 2020, Gwinnett County(transit advocates) revised their proposal so that the expanded funding would've kept their bus transit system independent from MARTA, and it would've also called for a 1 station expansion northeast from Doraville on the Gold(former Northeast) Line. The previous transit referendum before 2020 in Gwinnett called for Gwinnett County's bus system to become a part of MARTA, but the 2020 referendum would've(if approved) left their bus transit system being controlled by Gwinnett County and not MARTA. Sadly that proposal got voted down, but it got more votes than any of the past expanded transit funding referendums ever in Gwinnett history. More here, and you can see how narrowly it got defeated: https://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/lo...778ed616e.html

Unfortunately, the Atlanta area always seems to be slow in embracing transit. I will say one small transit note in the Atlanta area that was good: some years back(I think in the early 2010s?), Clayton County voters voted in favor of becoming a MARTA member county, and before that only Fulton and DeKalb were served by MARTA. And out of the places shown in this poll, I think Cleveland would be most likely to back a commuter rail system myself. They already have some sort of subway system in operation to its airport, so I suspect a system with a few lines(i.e. to Elyria, Mentor, Akron and perhaps even Canton?) would do well IMO. On a side note, I suspect a Cleveland to Warren(and perhaps also Youngstown?) line, would do well too.

The greater Denver region(I know it isn't in the poll) would probably embrace commuter rail decently, as well. And if you count the Pennsylvanian train, the Pittsburgh region technically has some sort of limited intercity train service between there and certain cities/towns to the east. Sadly there's only one eastbound train in the morning, and a westbound train in the afternoon. Both 2 Pennsylvanian trains as I remember, go all the way to NYC btw. And of course, it has a light rail system too. I voted Cleveland ultimately for this poll, since to me the people living there would probably most likely embrace commuter rail. I wish Atlanta area voters would embrace commuter rail, more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2021, 11:38 PM

1,803 posts, read 935,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Capital MetroRail is commuter rail. My take on the OP's question is who might be adding commuter rail for the first time.
Well this is of course a boasting thread of my city is planning. Seems Austin has approved much already to go with tax increase to go in effect to help fund it. This line between commuter rail and light-rail is kind of splitting hairs as neither is heavy-rail that are the big boy guns.... it cost even more. Trolleys, trams ect.... in the end move commuters as their aim. they are rail. I doubt the OP mean specific rail to prevent cities with increasing light-rail from this boasting thread.

Of course, seems it is meant for a Atlanta win in plans. Many I always see Atlanta as a aim and to include Houston ... I have read little on more rail plans for Houston? Even a Cleveland on the list does have a subway.... not sure if it has plans to be on the list being discussed at expansions?
So why would you list a Houston and not Austin that is moving forward literally?

Forget my input though of Austin and keep it the choices you all want to elevate.

Old 03-27-2021, 11:39 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
My guess would be Atlanta. Detroit has had commuter rail in the past and could jumpstart something more quickly, but it seems the priority will be intercity.

GoTriangle (NC Triangle) is also exploring Commuter Rail, although I'm not familiar with the politics/support.
The wild card with Detroit will be if/when it can get its regional transit plan approved and funded.

It failed by the slimmest possible margin during the 2016 election and has yet to be put on the ballot again for a vote.

But the plan does include a regular commuter rail line to Ann Arbor, with the possibility of a stop for Metro Airport.

Old 03-28-2021, 12:39 AM

994 posts, read 781,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
The wild card with Detroit will be if/when it can get its regional transit plan approved and funded.

It failed by the slimmest possible margin during the 2016 election and has yet to be put on the ballot again for a vote.

But the plan does include a regular commuter rail line to Ann Arbor, with the possibility of a stop for Metro Airport.
That line makes a ton of sense. Granted, so does a N/S Cleveland-Akron-Canton line here. But since that Michigan connection would be and E/W Detroit-Metro Airport-University of Michigan, seems like a definite possibility, especially since Detroit has finally has somewhat embraced non-auto transit.

Old 03-28-2021, 01:03 AM

994 posts, read 781,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Some years back in the 2010s, all Atlanta region counties had a proposal called TSPLOST on the ballot, which would've greatly improved transit funding along with transportation funding, if it had been approved. Sadly, Atlanta area voters rejected that proposal. Also a few Atlanta area counties have done local referendums to improve transit, and in both Cobb and Gwinnett, sadly both counties have kept shooting down referendums to improve county bus transit funding. Cobb voters as I remember rejecting better funding transit, by a bigger margin vs. Gwinnett. And IIRC, the last time Cobb had it on the ballot was in like 2016 or 2018 I think? At least in Gwinnett, it seems slowly that more people are starting to vote yes, each time it's been brought on the ballot. In 2020, Gwinnett County(transit advocates) revised their proposal so that the expanded funding would've kept their bus transit system independent from MARTA, and it would've also called for a 1 station expansion northeast from Doraville on the Gold(former Northeast) Line. The previous transit referendum before 2020 in Gwinnett called for Gwinnett County's bus system to become a part of MARTA, but the 2020 referendum would've(if approved) left their bus transit system being controlled by Gwinnett County and not MARTA. Sadly that proposal got voted down, but it got more votes than any of the past expanded transit funding referendums ever in Gwinnett history. More here, and you can see how narrowly it got defeated: https://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/lo...778ed616e.html

Unfortunately, the Atlanta area always seems to be slow in embracing transit. I will say one small transit note in the Atlanta area that was good: some years back(I think in the early 2010s?), Clayton County voters voted in favor of becoming a MARTA member county, and before that only Fulton and DeKalb were served by MARTA. And out of the places shown in this poll, I think Cleveland would be most likely to back a commuter rail system myself. They already have some sort of subway system in operation to its airport, so I suspect a system with a few lines(i.e. to Elyria, Mentor, Akron and perhaps even Canton?) would do well IMO. On a side note, I suspect a Cleveland to Warren(and perhaps also Youngstown?) line, would do well too.

The greater Denver region(I know it isn't in the poll) would probably embrace commuter rail decently, as well. And if you count the Pennsylvanian train, the Pittsburgh region technically has some sort of limited intercity train service between there and certain cities/towns to the east. Sadly there's only one eastbound train in the morning, and a westbound train in the afternoon. Both 2 Pennsylvanian trains as I remember, go all the way to NYC btw. And of course, it has a light rail system too. I voted Cleveland ultimately for this poll, since to me the people living there would probably most likely embrace commuter rail. I wish Atlanta area voters would embrace commuter rail, more.
I still wouldn't say Cleveland is more likely, but it seems like the bus portion of the transit authorities here may at least may be more in line, which still IMO should be regionalized into one, though they in a lot of ways act as one. METRO (Akron) runs hourly express routes to and from downtown Cleveland. SARTA (Canton) runs a morning and night express route to and from Cleveland. Then it has local/express service to METRO's downtown Akron station (which then gets you to Cleveland). PARTA (Portage County/Kent State) has express to Cleveland and local to METRO. LakeTran (Lake County/Mentor) is connected locally and express to GCRTA (Cleveland). On the westside, Medina and Lorain are at least connected through GCRTA Park and Ride express stops. ... Lorain may have local service to GCRTA as well (not sure there).

Still way to convoluted, but at least connected bus webs there. Train service, since a lot of the infrastructure is there, makes sense as well. But like Atlanta, sounds like roadblocks still what has prevented it. Still MARTA's train service is vastly superior than any metro that doesn't currently have commuter service so they'll likely get it sooner than later.

Old 03-28-2021, 01:15 AM

3,452 posts, read 3,376,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBrown View Post
I still wouldn't say Cleveland is more likely, but it seems like the bus portion of the transit authorities here may at least may be more in line, which still IMO should be regionalized into one, though they in a lot of ways act as one. METRO (Akron) runs hourly express routes to and from downtown Cleveland. SARTA (Canton) runs a morning and night express route to and from Cleveland. Then it has local/express service to METRO's downtown Akron station (which then gets you to Cleveland). PARTA (Portage County/Kent State) has express to Cleveland and local to METRO. LakeTran (Lake County/Mentor) is connected locally and express to GCRTA (Cleveland). On the westside, Medina and Lorain are at least connected through GCRTA Park and Ride express stops. ... Lorain may have local service to GCRTA as well (not sure there).

Still way to convoluted, but at least connected bus webs there. Train service, since a lot of the infrastructure is there, makes sense as well. But like Atlanta, sounds like roadblocks still what has prevented it. Still MARTA's train service is vastly superior than any metro that doesn't currently have commuter service so they'll likely get it sooner than later.
I'm glad there is some express and local buses, that do interconnect those bus systems in neighboring counties with GCRTA! I always wondered if any bus service in nearby neighboring counties were interconnected, or not myself. Thanks for answering my question.

And yes, from experiencing how bad Atlanta traffic is like myself, I DESPERATELY wish some sort of commuter rail system could be tried for the Atlanta area. I'm not sure if a 2nd track will have to be built, to get to stations in nearby counties(from Fulton and DeKalb) if such a line is shared with freight trains. Wouldn't surprise me, if that was the case. If Nashville can have one commuter rail line(Music City Star, between Nashville and Lebanon), so can Atlanta. Though to me I hope MORE than just one commuter rail line is built, and that several commuter rail lines are established(i.e. one to the northeast suburbs like Norcross and Duluth, a northwest line to say like Marietta and possibly also Kennesaw, an east line to say like Conyers, west line to say Douglasville, a south line to say like Jonesboro and Fayetteville, southwest line to Newnan, etc).

Old 03-28-2021, 03:20 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I thought Denver was the next city with a Commuter rail system roll out into its suburbs.

I also think many people mix the meaning of what a Commuter rail system is technically.

Just because rail is going into the suburbs does not mean it is commuter rail. It is a certain type of heavy rail and is technically different from light rail or rapid transit type subway systems.

The largest commuter rail networks in the nation are:

1) NYC - MTA (LI & North) & NJ Transit
2) Chicago - Metra
3) Philadelphia - SEPTA

Technically light rail systems are not commuter rail systems. They operate differently. So I am not sure if the poll above is accurate.

I vote Denver, which is missing from the poll.
Denver currently has 4 commuter rail lines. All opened within the last 5 years. A regional commuter system along the front range would be nice though

Last edited by Mezter; 03-28-2021 at 03:28 AM..

Old 03-28-2021, 03:33 AM

56 posts, read 47,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
My guess would be Atlanta. Detroit has had commuter rail in the past and could jumpstart something more quickly, but it seems the priority will be intercity. GoTriangle (NC Triangle) is also exploring Commuter Rail, although I'm not familiar with the politics/support.

Another fun question...which cities/regions should really be pursuing commuter rail more actively?
- Phoenix/Tuscon
- Charlotte
- Las Vegas!!!
Add nashville to that list even though i herd they’re finna propose another mass transit plan with light rail in 2023-2024

Old 03-28-2021, 04:39 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I thought Denver was the next city with a Commuter rail system roll out into its suburbs.

I also think many people mix the meaning of what a Commuter rail system is technically.

Just because rail is going into the suburbs does not mean it is commuter rail. It is a certain type of heavy rail and is technically different from light rail or rapid transit type subway systems.

The largest commuter rail networks in the nation are:

1) NYC - MTA (LI & North) & NJ Transit
2) Chicago - Metra
3) Philadelphia - SEPTA

Technically light rail systems are not commuter rail systems. They operate differently. So I am not sure if the poll above is accurate.

I vote Denver, which is missing from the poll.
Boston was lined up to pass Philly at #3 before COVID-19. The housing affordability thing has been pushing people farther out and the poor highway infrastructure was driving more to commuter rail. The Philly rail system works a lot better. Boston desperately needs a north-south rail link.

Denver is far enough along with light rail that I don’t see how it can be “new”.

Old 03-28-2021, 06:41 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times
Atlanta supposedly had plans to build a commuter rail line to Clayton County by the end of this decade. I'm not sure the current status as there is very little information available to the public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City