Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city/metro will add commuter rail?
Atlanta 25 62.50%
Houston 10 25.00%
Pittsburgh 1 2.50%
Detroit 2 5.00%
Cleveland 2 5.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 08:45 PM

4,427 posts, read 5,154,316 times

Advertisements

What city do you think will add a commuter system in the near future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2021, 09:16 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Austin just released a plan that includes commuter rail, I believe.

Old 03-27-2021, 09:26 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,315,098 times
I thought Denver was the next city with a Commuter rail system roll out into its suburbs.

I also think many people mix the meaning of what a Commuter rail system is technically.

Just because rail is going into the suburbs does not mean it is commuter rail. It is a certain type of heavy rail and is technically different from light rail or rapid transit type subway systems.

The largest commuter rail networks in the nation are:

1) NYC - MTA (LI & North) & NJ Transit
2) Chicago - Metra
3) Philadelphia - SEPTA

Technically light rail systems are not commuter rail systems. They operate differently. So I am not sure if the poll above is accurate.

I vote Denver, which is missing from the poll.

Last edited by rowhomecity; 03-27-2021 at 09:37 PM..

Old 03-27-2021, 09:55 PM

1,803 posts, read 935,830 times
Shouldn't Austin be in this list? Why.... it just might win as news to that effect was out recently.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/lo...3-e44695f18729

Then voters did approve to fund it and it will have some Federal subsidies..... up to a 9+billion $$$ plan over decade I believe.
It is a lot more then light-rail though.... includes bike lanes to new bus moving etc. Though for a smaller city it is impressive that it seems like a go.

Old 03-27-2021, 10:16 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Austin just released a plan that includes commuter rail, I believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
Shouldn't Austin be in this list? Why.... it just might win as news to that effect was out recently.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/lo...3-e44695f18729

Then voters did approve to fund it and it will have some Federal subsidies..... up to a 9+billion $$$ plan over decade I believe.
It is a lot more then light-rail though.... includes bike lanes to new bus moving etc. Though for a smaller city it is impressive that it seems like a go.
Capital MetroRail is commuter rail. My take on the OP's question is who might be adding commuter rail for the first time.

Old 03-27-2021, 10:31 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Atlanta.

And, Atlanta could have a very expansive commuter rail system relatively quickly—with 13+ lines extending out to the outer exurbs.

The greater metro is already set up perfectly for it.

Old 03-27-2021, 10:37 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Atlanta.

And, Atlanta could have a very expansive commuter rail system relatively quickly—with 13+ lines extending out to the outer exurbs.

The greater metro is already set up perfectly for it.
Read this: Track Twenty-Nine: Envisioning a New Rail Hub for Atlanta: Part III

Old 03-27-2021, 11:19 PM

994 posts, read 781,625 times
Out of these, I would say Atlanta, which already has the superior train transit out of the choices, makes the most sense. Though, when I lived briefly in Clayton County about 15 years ago, I remember being talk of a commuter service from downtown to Macon through the train line that went through Jonesboro, Lovejoy, Hampton, Griffin, etc., but it was shot down by the residents in those mentioned areas.

But Atlanta has changed drastically in that time and I would think that if that same proposal (not sure if it is still even an option) would have a lot better chance of happening now, on top of additional services to the northern parts of the metro.

Cleveland actually had commuter service in the past, ironically to Youngstown. I say ironically because Cleveland-Akron-Canton service would have made more sense rather than Youngstown. I'm not saying that it's likely, but there is at least some talk of getting commuter service from Cleveland-Akron-Canton via the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad, which does run touristy type trips. But the line is there if there ever was a serious push to make it a commuter system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuyaho...cenic_Railroad

Out of these options, Cleveland probably makes the next best sense since, like Atlanta, it already has heavy rail service and there is a clear option to link it to Akron-Canton route. Unfortunately, Ohio is one of the most anti-rail states (due to the gerrymandered districts that cater to the rural areas) so unless huge federal money is involved, will be very hard to make happen. Cleveland's current heavy rail line is funded almost entirely through local and federal funds.

Old 03-27-2021, 11:23 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,124,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I thought Denver was the next city with a Commuter rail system roll out into its suburbs.

I also think many people mix the meaning of what a Commuter rail system is technically.

Technically light rail systems are not commuter rail systems. They operate differently. So I am not sure if the poll above is accurate.

I vote Denver, which is missing from the poll.
Doesn't Denver already have commuter rail? That's what RTD labels the A Line and the technology/service seems to fit the established description. https://www.rtd-denver.com/rider-inf.../commuter-rail

Last edited by newgensandiego; 03-27-2021 at 11:34 PM..

Old 03-27-2021, 11:33 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,124,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
What city do you think will add a commuter system in the near future?
My guess would be Atlanta. Detroit has had commuter rail in the past and could jumpstart something more quickly, but it seems the priority will be intercity. GoTriangle (NC Triangle) is also exploring Commuter Rail, although I'm not familiar with the politics/support.

Another fun question...which cities/regions should really be pursuing commuter rail more actively?
- Phoenix/Tuscon
- Charlotte
- Las Vegas!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City