Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Most Humble Major City In The US?
NYC 1 0.56%
Los Angeles 1 0.56%
Chicago 8 4.47%
Dallas 4 2.23%
Houston 39 21.79%
Washington D.C. 0 0%
Miami 1 0.56%
Philaldelphia 17 9.50%
Atlanta 9 5.03%
Phoenix 24 13.41%
Boston 4 2.23%
San Francisco 0 0%
Detroit 37 20.67%
Seattle 5 2.79%
Minneapolis 29 16.20%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 01:27 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

I think there's a difference between being humbled by circumstances, like Detroit and, to a lesser extent, Philly, and having had every reason to be boastful as a Sunbelt city in post-industrial America (strong and rapid population and economic growth, warm climate, rapidly ascending international profile, burgeoning local culture, robust visual and performing arts scene, impressive racial/ethnic diversity, etc.) but instead choosing to be more modest about its successes and offerings as Houston has. This is why, from my perspective, Houston takes the cake.

I can understand Phoenix as a contender here also, but as a "lifestyle region" with a scenic geographical location that caters in part to luxury tourists, there's definitely an element in place that doesn't mind singing Phoenix's praises. I'm not seeing anything comparable in Houston really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2021, 01:31 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think there's a difference between being humbled by circumstances, like Detroit and, to a lesser extent, Philly, and having had every reason to be boastful as a Sunbelt city in post-industrial America (strong and rapid population and economic growth, warm climate, rapidly ascending international profile, burgeoning local culture, robust visual and performing arts scene, impressive racial/ethnic diversity, etc.) but instead choosing to be more modest about its successes and offerings as Houston has. This is why, from my perspective, Houston takes the cake.
Houston is humble because they don’t have the legacy of a major city. Same with Phoenix.

Like when the Red Sox played the Astros they complained about the media having a “big market bias” against a metro that had 2 million fewer people.

They don’t even truly conceptulize they are truly peers with the cities they are peers with.

Old 03-28-2021, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Houston is humble because they don’t have the legacy of a major city. Same with Phoenix.

Like when the Red Sox played the Astros they complained about the media having a “big market bias” against a metro that had 2 million fewer people.

They don’t even truly conceptulize they are truly peers with the cities they are peers with.
Dallas, Miami, nor Atlanta have such a legacy and LA, IMO, barely has it but those aren't what I'd call humble cities.

But that's a very interesting incident. I wonder if they really meant a "major Northern legacy city bias," in which case they probably had a point.

Old 03-28-2021, 01:43 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Dallas, Miami, nor Atlanta have such a legacy and LA, IMO, barely has it but those aren't what I'd call humble cities.

But that's a very interesting incident. I wonder if they really meant a "major Northern legacy city bias," in which case they probably had a point.
Atlanta has a history as the center of the Southeast. So it has been the major Southern city for a while.

LA also was America’s 3rd largest city by WWI so basically as Cities became the drivers of US Culture.

I think that there is a sort of cumulative historical rating system. So since Boston or Philly have been influential for so long it implants into culture in a way that a new kid on the block doesn’t.

European cities get this advantage over American ones too. Like Paris and Chicago are economic peers but Paris often gets lumped with NYC because of the 17-18th century.

Old 03-28-2021, 01:49 PM

12,824 posts, read 9,541,088 times
I voted for Minneapolis. Their citizens seem humble here and in real life. Houston is pretty proud of itself, here and in real life.

Old 03-28-2021, 01:55 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I chose Philadelphia.

Now on CD it is a bit of an anomaly because you have many people who talk it up. But that is because in reality most people from there do not talk it up whatsoever and take its assets for granted.
I feel like I’m in bizarro world. Maybe I’m colored too much by sports, but Philly screams “overbearing” that is rivaled by probably only it’s NE peers and the WC cities.

Old 03-28-2021, 08:22 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,935 times
As someone who used to live in Minneapolis, I don't see how it is being voted so highly. It's hard to find a person there who doesn't think it is the best city there is. Don't get me wrong, it's a better city than most, especially compared to other places in the Midwest. However, the residents are anything but humble about it, and a little delusional in some areas.

Maybe the events of the past year have humbled them a bit.

Old 03-28-2021, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Atlanta has a history as the center of the Southeast. So it has been the major Southern city for a while.
That's only been since 1950 or so when it decisively surpassed New Orleans and Birmingham in the Southeast which is too recent to have "legacy city status" IMO. But to be fair, Atlanta did have legacy city aspirations almost from the very beginning.

Quote:
LA also was America’s 3rd largest city by WWI so basically as Cities became the drivers of US Culture.

I think that there is a sort of cumulative historical rating system. So since Boston or Philly have been influential for so long it implants into culture in a way that a new kid on the block doesn’t.

European cities get this advantage over American ones too. Like Paris and Chicago are economic peers but Paris often gets lumped with NYC because of the 17-18th century.
Agreed. It's similar to how New Orleans is often grouped with the first and second tier Southern cities. Basically the longer a large city has been around, the more cultural influence it exerts over the course of its existence even if it has declined in relative stature over time.

Old 03-29-2021, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I voted for Minneapolis. Their citizens seem humble here and in real life. Houston is pretty proud of itself, here and in real life.
Where are all you "Houston is proud and boastful" types in threads where we go into extensive detail concerning Houston's failure to successfully market itself, create a lasting brand/identity, residents' contentment with the city as a great place to live without engaging in boosterism, etc?

Old 03-29-2021, 02:28 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,403,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
So, this thread is about all those people in these cities, who don't constantly brag about their city. I voted for Detroit, as I seldom see anything too braggy about that city. There are a couple cities that it's hard to look at the city's name, and not think of the posters from that city who are constantly bragging. As if they, themselves, make the city what it is. I brag about a couple of cities, but it's not incessant. Good thread, calling us all out.
I agree as well with Detroit. I don't think I've ever seen someone "boost" Detroit/ the Detroit area on this site in my almost 7 years here, whereas I've seen at least one person boost every single other major city in the U.S. You'd think it's the size of Cleveland or Buffalo, but in reality it is an MSA of over 4 million, has a large international airport, and tons of nice suburbs.

I'd also maybe throw in Memphis.

Last edited by CCrest182; 03-29-2021 at 02:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City