Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Most Humble Major City In The US?
NYC 1 0.56%
Los Angeles 1 0.56%
Chicago 8 4.47%
Dallas 4 2.23%
Houston 39 21.79%
Washington D.C. 0 0%
Miami 1 0.56%
Philaldelphia 17 9.50%
Atlanta 9 5.03%
Phoenix 24 13.41%
Boston 4 2.23%
San Francisco 0 0%
Detroit 37 20.67%
Seattle 5 2.79%
Minneapolis 29 16.20%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 08:39 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I'd love to hear the logic behind NYC's 1 vote. lol
I feel the same way about the Hub's 1 vote..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2021, 09:04 PM

12,811 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Ahh yes. When people brag about their city they tout how big the economy is. When I go to a bar and try to impress someone, I let them know that we developed all 3 COVID Vaccines and have the largest agglomeration of life science developments in my hometown lol

But on a serious note, strongly disagree... I always find people from Chicago, New York and LA trying to prove themselves and boost, in reality. And I live in one of their metros.
i think there's some self loathing among the NYC/LA crowd. They certainly don't need to tell you about the make up of their town. They speak for themselves.

Old 03-30-2021, 09:57 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,843,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Places like NYC, LA, Chicago are just pretty apathetic. They don't have to brag about themselves. Angelinos don't have to tell the world they're an underrated foodie spot or how large their economy is. Does Lebron need to tell the world he's the best basketball player? Mike Trout? NYC, LA don't need to boast.
My face the first time someone told me their address was “NY, NY, the city so nice they named it twice†was probably priceless. I thought I was on candid camera or something, it felt like a reality show. I didn’t know people talked like that in real life.

Old 03-30-2021, 10:29 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,614,605 times
Going with Houston. The 4th largest city and 6th largest MSA is the most humble major city in the nation.

Old 03-30-2021, 10:37 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
My face the first time someone told me their address was “NY, NY, the city so nice they named it twice†was probably priceless. I thought I was on candid camera or something, it felt like a reality show. I didn’t know people talked like that in real life.
Talk to a New Yorker out of town and listen complain about EVERYTHING. "The air is fresher in NYC," The Pizza is better in NYC," "The sky is bluer in NYC," "we're the most dangerous and the safest city," "the clubs close later in NYC; I didn't leave out of the house to go to the club until 5am in NYC."
"I'm from NYC, that makes me tough," "This town only has 3 million people, this is a little village compared to NYC."

Old 03-30-2021, 10:42 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Going with Houston. The 4th largest city and 6th largest MSA is the most humble major city in the nation.
Houston has the 5th largest MSA.

Old 03-31-2021, 12:07 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,265,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
No idea where this is coming from. Houstonians have tons of pride.

It being a Texas city also makes it a talked up destination. And of course, the "we're the energy capital of the world" line that is constantly brought up on this site and commonly known in the real world.

Houston is IMO among the most "self promoted" and there's nothing wrong with that. But no idea where this "humble" reputation many are claiming here is coming from. It is just about on par with Atlanta and Dallas when it comes to this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Nah, Houston has that Texas brag big time. Energy Capital of the World. Texas Medical Center Biggest Bestest Medical Center.
Quote:
You've read this site. "Energy capital of the world.
The difference is that those metrics, at base, are designed for b2b use. The aren't a part of the general, everyday conversations seen in Houston, or in other topics regarding that city.

Quote:
Many Houstonians cannot wait for the city to surpass Chicago in population to gain more status.
Quote:
Lulz. Some already think they've moved past Chicago.
Thing is, the publications citing that possible population change are all from third party sources. Which means that no one from either city actually cares in real-life, regarding an everyday basis. Actually, even with the "CD echo-chamber," the past discussions on that topic mostly seem quite technical - they focus more on the merit of the sources, as well as the math regarding the growth rates, if anything.

Quote:
Rappers from Houston make it known they're from Houston. "H-town" is a name most people know about.
Yes. The H-Town hip hop culture is actually the one true element so far this thread that actually reflects true, genuine pride regarding the city. Unlike the other elements mentioned, it's not just an arm of business interest, nor is it an extension of narrative agenda - instead, it actually reflects a culture that many in the city take part in everyday. That's a similar thing evoked with "AstroWorld" as that brings back memories for many in that city.

Old 03-31-2021, 12:29 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,614,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Houston has the 5th largest MSA.
Lol...right, 6th was off a little.

Old 03-31-2021, 01:16 AM

4,597 posts, read 2,990,451 times
Default a process of elimination will narrow the choices considerably...

NY and LA can't possibly be contenders for the title of "humblest."
Don't think Chicago can either, and certainly not Dallas.
Nor DC, nor Boston ("Hub of the Universe").
And a San Francisco TV station used to proclaim the region
"the best place on earth."

So that leaves seven fewer options.

Old 03-31-2021, 06:41 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
I'm guessing you don't know anyone from Minneapolis.
It's also laughable that Austin is humble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City