Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Most Humble Major City In The US?
NYC 1 0.56%
Los Angeles 1 0.56%
Chicago 8 4.47%
Dallas 4 2.23%
Houston 39 21.79%
Washington D.C. 0 0%
Miami 1 0.56%
Philaldelphia 17 9.50%
Atlanta 9 5.03%
Phoenix 24 13.41%
Boston 4 2.23%
San Francisco 0 0%
Detroit 37 20.67%
Seattle 5 2.79%
Minneapolis 29 16.20%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 12:33 PM

9,931 posts, read 6,638,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I'm reading it for the first time now.

I mean, while it is exaggerated and "boomer," it's not wrong...¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Fort Worth hating Dallas and San Antonio hating Austin are especially boomer things. Those particularly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2021, 12:33 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,722,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Lmao “global pop culture sees Dallas as the world’s oil capital”. Does anyone actually think that?
I won't speak to that specific comment in the article.

However, I will say there was a thread here in City vs. City several months ago where people were polled on what city first comes to mind when they think of Texas, and Dallas (excluding Fort Worth) was ahead by a decent margin.

I don't really have an opinion on that poll's outcome, other than how interesting an outsider's perspective can be.

Old 04-02-2021, 12:36 PM

Quote:

However, I will say there was a thread here in City vs. City several months ago where people were polled on what city first comes to mind when they think of Texas, and Dallas (excluding Fort Worth) was ahead by a decent margin.

I don't really have an opinion on that poll's outcome, other than how interesting an outsider's perspective can be.
Texas*. And what does that have to do with worlds oil capital? If anyone on any forum were to a “what’s the oil capital”, Dallas wouldn’t lead. That’s not even a bad thing, you could Argue that’s even a good thing in some ways on Dallas behalf. That’s just common sense. I could even see Tulsa getting more votes

FYI, I was the author of that poll. And I did the same poll on Reddit out of curios different outcomes.

Old 04-02-2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Texas*.
Yeah, that was a badly timed error. I tried to correct it, but apparently I wasn't fast enough.

Quote:
And what does that have to do with worlds oil capital?
I never said it did.

My overarching point (which was also probably the author's overarching point, just while using a very poor example) is that perception can be reality for some folks, even though people's perception isn't necessarily right.

Quote:
And I did the same poll on Reddit out of curios different outcomes.
Can you please PM a link to this? I'd like to see it.

Old 04-02-2021, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that was a badly timed error. I tried to correct it, but apparently I wasn't fast enough.

I never said it did.

Can you please PM a link to this? I'd like to see it.
I’ll post it in here because someone a while back asked me to send the link. But I was going to wait for poll to end to avoid. Here’s he results

Austin - 20
Dallas - 33
El Paso - 3
Fort Worth - 2
Houston - 21
San Antonio - 3

https://www.reddit.com/r/poll/commen...tm_name=iossmf

Quote:

My overarching point (which was also probably the author's overarching point, just while using a very poor example) is that perception can be reality for some folks, even though people's perception isn't necessarily right.
Yeah, perception is different from reality all the time. But in this case, I don’t think anyone associates Dallas as the worlds oil capital. I wouldn’t be surprised if other cities, not just Houston, were associated before Dallas. Tulsa, maybe even Pittsburgh or Philly. And obviously Dubai. I actually think Dallas is underrated in this matter, because it has much more influence on the energy industry than people give it credit

Old 04-02-2021, 01:02 PM

61,857 posts, read 87,314,674 times
Quote:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...ted-texas.html

Old 04-02-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I’ll post it in here because someone a while back asked me to send the link. But I was going to wait for poll to end to avoid. Here’s he results

Austin - 20
Dallas - 33
El Paso - 3
Fort Worth - 2
Houston - 21
San Antonio - 3

https://www.reddit.com/r/poll/commen...tm_name=iossmf

Yeah, perception is different from reality all the time. But in this case, I don’t think anyone associates Dallas as the worlds oil capital. I wouldn’t be surprised if other cities, not just Houston, were associated before Dallas. Tulsa, maybe even Pittsburgh or Philly. And obviously Dubai. I actually think Dallas is underrated in this matter, because it has much more influence on the energy industry than people give it credit
Thanks for the link.

The reason I asked to have the link PM'd is because I wasn't sure if it was against the rules to post URLs to different forums.

Old 04-02-2021, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
How did Austin score so low here?

San Antonio 13 votes Austin 3.... This really is a boomer site

Old 04-08-2021, 01:38 AM

2,934 posts, read 2,027,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
As someone who used to live in Minneapolis, I don't see how it is being voted so highly. It's hard to find a person there who doesn't think it is the best city there is. Don't get me wrong, it's a better city than most, especially compared to other places in the Midwest. However, the residents are anything but humble about it, and a little delusional in some areas.

Maybe the events of the past year have humbled them a bit.
Nope. They still deflect any criticism about crime and income inequality whenever it comes up. 'but at least we're not chicago/cleveland bad" is a typical response you get after bringing up its flaws/issues. And they still like to pretend that they have great weather because winters are so mild right now I'm hoping they get a warm, muggy summer this year, they deserve it.

Edit:
I voted houston. Glad to see it's winning.
Houstonians rock, love their 'tude.

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 04-08-2021 at 01:48 AM..

Old 04-08-2021, 02:09 AM

1,803 posts, read 939,088 times
Quote:
How did Austin score so low here?

San Antonio 13 votes Austin 3.... This really is a boomer site
Stop the Boomer crap. It was in part.... the 70s 80 TV show Dallas where the key wealthy family was a Oil family. The intro showed the Dallas skyline and Oil rigs also then. Even in the earlier 2000s a attempt at a rehash of that show some network not the original.

Really, Dallas is as close to Oil fields and more associated with wealth and families to this day. We all know Houston desires clearly NASA claims and Oil. Still.... Dallas had its decades it was key and supreme and stereotypes even from then still prevail.

Still Houston got a bit of Oil hype from the 1980 movie Urban Cowboy also for Boomers. Still it did not diminish Dallas roll or stereotype of key Texas city etc. Houston clearly did get NASA.... though even that for many had Cape Canaveral be key also as where they took off for decades and still do. Now Elon Musk has is Space-City plants that still are not Houston and his rockets do take off from Texas.

Houston even likes to bill itself as a Medical Capital and having its own separate CBD within Houston. Still it is not a city that has gotten a TV Med show....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City