Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Most Humble Major City In The US?
NYC 1 0.56%
Los Angeles 1 0.56%
Chicago 8 4.47%
Dallas 4 2.23%
Houston 39 21.79%
Washington D.C. 0 0%
Miami 1 0.56%
Philaldelphia 17 9.50%
Atlanta 9 5.03%
Phoenix 24 13.41%
Boston 4 2.23%
San Francisco 0 0%
Detroit 37 20.67%
Seattle 5 2.79%
Minneapolis 29 16.20%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 06:53 PM

9,884 posts, read 6,589,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfitz1010 View Post
I’d go ahead and throw Seattle, Boston and Atlanta in there
You can also add Miami to that bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2021, 07:15 PM

Of the cities included with 7+ votes...

Chicago - I could see it. Nearly a mega city and they aren't as in your face about everything like NYC and LA are.

Philadelphia - This was my pick. Seems too obvious to me personally.

Detroit - As mentioned above, they may be "forced to be humble because of the city's decline", but I still give it points because it's improving under the radar and most people wouldn't know.

Houston - Absolutely not. Houstonians be thinking everything they have is underrated. Then they'll throw Travis Scott in your face and throw celebrities under the bus for no reason. Not getting a humble vibe at all here, must be the old Houston.

Minneapolis - I think what makes Minneapolis appear as "humble" is that they are far less mentioned compared to the rest of the cities here. But people from the twin cities get offended too much when you mention you like something about abroad more.

Atlanta - You must be joking

Phoenix - Sure, I could see Phoenix being one of the most humble cities. But I think that has more to do with its sense of being under the radar it's still. The times you actually do meet people from Scottsdale for example, they want you to think it's on par with Beverly Hills.

Old 03-31-2021, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Is it? Austinites aren't all braggy about their city from my experience.
Hey look! We agree for once! I'd say Austin is the most humble out of Houston/Dallas/Austin. Outsiders brag about Austin being the "only cool place inTexas" but thats not their fault. If anything, the fact they don't throw that in your face shows nothing but humble to me.

Old 03-31-2021, 07:43 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,850,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
You can also add Miami to that bunch.
I don’t think I know anyone from Miami, so I couldn’t say. As far as Atlanta, I think I just have a different experience. To be fair, I think at this point anyone from any town in North Georgia says they are from Atlanta to outsiders, so my thoughts may be skewed by all the gob’s I meet. But they usually seem fairly humble, albeit in that Southern way that borders on obsequious.

Old 03-31-2021, 08:38 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,267,629 times
Quote:
Couldn't agree more. I wish Houston were more humble. You pretty much described the old mentality. Modern aged Houstonians seem to think they deserve NYC/LA level respect and they are far from NYC/LA. If anything has been a driving point of moving me away from Houston it would be this.
Quote:
Houston - Absolutely not. Houstonians be thinking everything they have is underrated. Then they'll throw Travis Scott in your face and throw celebrities under the bus for no reason. Not getting a humble vibe at all here, must be the old Houston.
Because you're just describing prideful and/or passionate attitude in general. There has definitely been a surge in the materialistic bent over the years, as more and more people come in to take full advantage of the low COL. Of course, there are always your localized cult favorites. But, ultimately, nothing here actually demonstrates any excessive fervor regarding the city itself.

It's largely neutral, whether on CD, Reddit, or otherwise. If anything, a slight trend towards self-deprecation, because for every supposed stan, you have ~ 5 other people that "can't wait to get out" and are "only tied to a job there." Both transplants and long-time residents alike.

Old 03-31-2021, 09:04 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,395,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
Because you're just describing prideful and/or passionate attitude in general. There has definitely been a surge in the materialistic bent over the years, as more and more people come in to take full advantage of the low COL. Of course, there are always your localized cult favorites. But, ultimately, nothing here actually demonstrates any excessive fervor regarding the city itself.

It's largely neutral, whether on CD, Reddit, or otherwise. If anything, a slight trend towards self-deprecation, because for every supposed stan, you have ~ 5 other people that "can't wait to get out" and are "only tied to a job there." Both transplants and long-time residents alike.
I have to agree. Houston is pretty neutral. It is not my favorite city, but it does offer a lot that goes unnoticed on a national scale compared to peers. Cultural attractions, museums, art, Rice University, and the renowned Texas Medical Center campus are first rate examples.

Old 03-31-2021, 09:13 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Hey look! We agree for once! I'd say Austin is the most humble out of Houston/Dallas/Austin. Outsiders brag about Austin being the "only cool place inTexas" but thats not their fault. If anything, the fact they don't throw that in your face shows nothing but humble to me.
LOL austinites brag about this as well. Visit hornfans or orangebloods to see it. Heck the old Austin360 was chalk full of braggers.

Old 03-31-2021, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I have to agree. Houston is pretty neutral. It is not my favorite city, but it does offer a lot that goes unnoticed on a national scale compared to peers. Cultural attractions, museums, art, Rice University, and the renowned Texas Medical Center campus are first rate examples.
I don’t think those are good examples. The Texas Medical Center doesn’t get noticed? I don’t think this is true. Rice University? It’s consistently ranked one of the best schools in USA. It’s fairly small even for an elite school though as it doesn’t even have a law or medical school, so you can’t really expect it to be as well known as Yale/Stanford or even Columbia for reasons like that. Culture? People often mistake it as America’s most diverse city even while it’s not.

I agree with what you’re saying, just not with your examples. I think you named the few things it does get recognized for. Let me help you out here. River Oaks/Uptown has better shoppping than Buckhead for example while not being near the same name. It has a far more competitive job market than what the consensus particularly here says. Outside of the Rockets, the sports teams are fairly under the radar. They don’t have a Cowboys/Patriots/Lakers/Bulls/Yankees/Red Sox etc. Those are definitely things I’d say don’t get national attention, you named the few things that do get them.

But you’re correct about having things it doesn’t get recognized for. However here’s my argument against that. The reason something in Houston isn’t going to get noticed the way it does in NY, LA, Miami, SF, Chicago, or Atlanta is because it’s not any of those cities. Anything that comes out of those cities is going to get national attention. Dallas, Denver, Seattle, Portland, etc also have many under the radar things that don’t get he exposure that the first ones do. But in Denver (for example) they’re less likely to brag about what they have as opposed to Houston as well as Dallas.

To me, Denver and Austin are neutral because they’re less likely to throw what they have in your face while Houston and Dallas aren’t humble at all. I’ve never seen cities complain about being underrated as much as these two. And sure, the fact I live in Texas could have something to do with it. But I travel A LOT and have lived elsewhere and never seen places do this as much as these two. It’s a different type of arrogance, sure as opposed to say LA, who does get all the attention and throws it in everyone’s face. But the first is more annoying because that’s what they want to be.

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 03-31-2021 at 10:06 PM..

Old 03-31-2021, 10:07 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
I actually would say Baltimore. I met some really cool, down to earth, humble people there. Philly I imagine is in a similar vein but I just haven’t spent as much time there. I also love that DC and SF have zero votes. These polls can be accurate from time to time.

Old 03-31-2021, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I actually would say Baltimore. I met some really cool, down to earth, humble people there. Philly I imagine is in a similar vein but I just haven’t spent as much time there.
From these comments, it seems like Philadelphia is everyone's second option lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City