Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Most Humble Major City In The US?
NYC 1 0.56%
Los Angeles 1 0.56%
Chicago 8 4.47%
Dallas 4 2.23%
Houston 39 21.79%
Washington D.C. 0 0%
Miami 1 0.56%
Philaldelphia 17 9.50%
Atlanta 9 5.03%
Phoenix 24 13.41%
Boston 4 2.23%
San Francisco 0 0%
Detroit 37 20.67%
Seattle 5 2.79%
Minneapolis 29 16.20%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 03:16 PM

1,354 posts, read 903,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Have anyone seen anyone from MN? They think they live in a utopia.

The Southern cities are more humble because the main draw is they are cheap. People who live in NYC or SF obviously think the city is amazing. Because otherwise they wouldn’t pay for it. People who don’t love Boston or Seattle don’t live there anymore.
Exactly. Anyone picking Minneapolis probably hasn't spent much time there and is making the pick based off of stereotypes surrounding the Upper Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2021, 05:03 PM

11 posts, read 7,699 times
I've voted Detroit.

Quote:
Have anyone seen anyone from MN? They think they live in a utopia.
Have you spent time in any Midwestern cities? Minneapolis definitely stands out. I've been there a few times and the people there don't seem all that much different from what I've experienced elsewhere. It's a very fine city.

Old 03-30-2021, 06:49 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,416,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Houston is notorious for it’s lack of “self-promotion.” The city is a working-man’s city and just goes about it’s business in spite of all the critics.

I’m referring to the real world, and not the C-D echo chamber.
No idea where this is coming from. Houstonians have tons of pride. Rappers from Houston make it known they're from Houston. "H-town" is a name most people know about. Many Houstonians cannot wait for the city to surpass Chicago in population to gain more status. It being a Texas city also makes it a talked up destination. And of course, the "we're the energy capital of the world" line that is constantly brought up on this site and commonly known in the real world.

Houston is IMO among the most "self promoted" and there's nothing wrong with that. But no idea where this "humble" reputation many are claiming here is coming from. It is just about on par with Atlanta and Dallas when it comes to this.

Old 03-30-2021, 06:50 PM

1,321 posts, read 873,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyFoot View Post
Have you spent time in any Midwestern cities? Minneapolis definitely stands out.
How so? I'm asking out of curiosity because I've been to nearly every major Midwestern city except for Minneapolis.

Old 03-30-2021, 06:58 PM

10,117 posts, read 10,001,218 times
I'd love to hear the logic behind NYC's 1 vote. lol

Old 03-30-2021, 07:01 PM

14,040 posts, read 15,068,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
No idea where this is coming from. Houstonians have tons of pride. Rappers from Houston make it known they're from Houston. "H-town" is a name most people know about. Many Houstonians cannot wait for the city to surpass Chicago in population to gain more status. It being a Texas city also makes it a talked up destination. And of course, the "we're the energy capital of the world" line that is constantly brought up on this site and commonly known in the real world.

Houston is IMO among the most "self promoted" and there's nothing wrong with that. But no idea where this "humble" reputation many are claiming here is coming from. It is just about on par with Atlanta and Dallas when it comes to this.
I think if you asked a Houstonian to list the top most important cities in the country, they would not list Houston until you get to the point it’s not debatable. Like above Phoenix or Minneapolis but likely not above Boston, San Francisco, Philadelphia, or Atlanta.

Meanwhile those people absolutely would list their city near the top of objective peer groups.

Old 03-30-2021, 07:20 PM

12,868 posts, read 9,615,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I'd love to hear the logic behind NYC's 1 vote. lol
Places like NYC, LA, Chicago are just pretty apathetic. They don't have to brag about themselves. Angelinos don't have to tell the world they're an underrated foodie spot or how large their economy is. Does Lebron need to tell the world he's the best basketball player? Mike Trout? NYC, LA don't need to boast.

Old 03-30-2021, 07:22 PM

12,868 posts, read 9,615,688 times
Quote:
I think if you asked a Houstonian to list the top most important cities in the country, they would not list Houston until you get to the point it’s not debatable. Like above Phoenix or Minneapolis but likely not above Boston, San Francisco, Philadelphia, or Atlanta.

Meanwhile those people absolutely would list their city near the top of objective peer groups.
Lulz. Some already think they've moved past Chicago. You've read this site. "Energy capital of the world. Energy is technically more important than technology."

Old 03-30-2021, 07:33 PM

10,117 posts, read 10,001,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Places like NYC, LA, Chicago are just pretty apathetic. They don't have to brag about themselves. Angelinos don't have to tell the world they're an underrated foodie spot or how large their economy is. Does Lebron need to tell the world he's the best basketball player? Mike Trout? NYC, LA don't need to boast.
You're right, none of the 3 big have to brag, but NYC, by far, does more bragging than any other city in the US. "The City so nice they named it Twice," "The center of the universe" "The greatest city in the word," "Capital of the world" and Countless other nicknames and slogans. To NYC, its offensive to not acknowledge as the best at everything. LA is the most blase' of the 3. New Yorkers are worse when they are in other cities..

And Yes, Lebron felt that he needed to tell the world that he was the best player.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 03-30-2021 at 08:05 PM..

Old 03-30-2021, 07:35 PM

12,193 posts, read 8,072,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Ahh yes. When people brag about their city they tout how big the economy is. When I go to a bar and try to impress someone, I let them know that we developed all 3 COVID Vaccines and have the largest agglomeration of life science developments in my hometown lol

But on a serious note, strongly disagree... I always find people from Chicago, New York and LA trying to prove themselves and boost, in reality. And I live in one of their metros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City