Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2021, 02:40 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbraybarten65 View Post
I would say that Austin is known for tech to many, but I don't know if that it's the dominant thing that it's known for yet.
I'd say it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2021, 04:34 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,390,949 times
And with Tesla going to Austin, I think this further cements Austin pulling away further from Nashville and really any other peer city. Not specifically Tesla but when you take into consideration the events In the last 15 years, holy cow.

When I went to Austin (was just driving by on the way to San Antonio from Houston) as a younger Teen back around the time of hurricane Katrina, I was so unimpressed with what looked to be less interesting than Greensboro, NC.

Austin is ridiculous. Especially when you have 0 interest in it so the times you do hear about it, it’s like. Austin is exploding. Every time I hear something about it In the national news and I just look up Austin in general, it literally has a new tallest building every time. Like. 8x in a row it feels like.

Last edited by JMT; 10-08-2021 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: language

Old 10-08-2021, 05:10 PM

11,781 posts, read 7,992,594 times
Admittedly I was kind of shocked by Tesla moving their HQ to Austin. I thought they would keep it in Palo Alto and just build their Giga Factory in Austin but they really did go all the way.

Old 10-08-2021, 07:13 PM

8,609 posts, read 10,140,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
And with Tesla going to Austin, I think this further cements Austin pulling away further from Nashville and really any other peer city. Not specifically Tesla but when you take into consideration the events In the last 15 years, holy cow.

When I went to Austin (was just driving by on the way to San Antonio from Houston) as a younger Teen back around the time of hurricane Katrina, I was so unimpressed with what looked to be less interesting than Greensboro, NC.

Austin is ridiculous. Especially when you have 0 interest in it so the times you do hear about it, it’s like. Austin is exploding. Every time I hear something about it In the national news and I just look up Austin in general, it literally has a new tallest building every time. Like. 8x in a row it feels like.
Sadly, all the new high-rises can never replace the character they helped to erase from the city.

Old 10-08-2021, 08:13 PM

11,781 posts, read 7,992,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Sadly, all the new high-rises can never replace the character they helped to erase from the city.
My honest opinion on it all was that character was never true and tried to begin with. They chose to sell on their own account in leu of receiving thousands if not millions of dollars in exchange for their real estate. They are just as guilty as the businesses that replaced them for the decay in Austin’s character. If Austin’s character was truly ever that important to them they never would have left. No one mandated that they leave, they chose to own their own account for financial gain and in irony, are no different than the businesses that replaced them.

Old 10-08-2021, 11:34 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,279,917 times
Will Nashville overtake Austin...NO.. Will Nashville grow at a faster rate than Austin this decade? Unlikely but there is a chance.

Old 10-09-2021, 05:08 AM

8,609 posts, read 10,140,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
My honest opinion on it all was that character was never true and tried to begin with. They chose to sell on their own account in leu of receiving thousands if not millions of dollars in exchange for their real estate. They are just as guilty as the businesses that replaced them for the decay in Austin’s character. If Austin’s character was truly ever that important to them they never would have left. No one mandated that they leave, they chose to own their own account for financial gain and in irony, are no different than the businesses that replaced them.
Don't get me wrong - I still love Austin. I'm not speaking specifically about just businesses though. Rising rents and property taxes pushed many people out. Sure there may be a financial gain for those who have to sell or move, but many didn't want to.

Last edited by AZLiam; 10-09-2021 at 05:29 AM..

Old 10-13-2021, 10:57 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbraybarten65 View Post
I would say that Austin is known for tech to many, but I don't know if that it's the dominant thing that it's known for yet. An aside, "east" is not something that would be used to describe a city in the middle of the country.
What do you think Austin is known for?

Old 10-13-2021, 11:08 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,425,999 times
After visiting Nashville for a birthday this past weekend, I can say that the city is just on absolute fire, with development and construction in both downtown and midtown.

I have not been to Austin in more than a decade, so if it is on at least the same level as Nashville with development--and I'm guessing it is--Nashville will not overtake Austin, because Austin has such a huge headstart already.

But the construction and skyscraper development in Nashville is just dizzying. You can't keep up. There is a Ritz Carlton skyscraper starting construction next year, a Four Seasons that just opened, 6-8 office/hotel/residential skyscrapers currently under construction and another 25-30 planned or approved.

I'd venture to say Austin is all of that development activity, and more.

Old 10-13-2021, 05:31 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,770,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
After visiting Nashville for a birthday this past weekend, I can say that the city is just on absolute fire, with development and construction in both downtown and midtown.

I have not been to Austin in more than a decade, so if it is on at least the same level as Nashville with development--and I'm guessing it is--Nashville will not overtake Austin, because Austin has such a huge headstart already.

But the construction and skyscraper development in Nashville is just dizzying. You can't keep up. There is a Ritz Carlton skyscraper starting construction next year, a Four Seasons that just opened, 6-8 office/hotel/residential skyscrapers currently under construction and another 25-30 planned or approved.

I'd venture to say Austin is all of that development activity, and more.
Nashville is on fire but Austin is En Fuego.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...s-planned.html

43 new towers in downtown Austin approved or under under construction including a new tallest building - 6X Guadalupe (876 feet) which is halfway up, but it won't be the tallest for long as Austin's first supertall - over 1000 ft tall - is scheduled to break ground early next year, and will be the tallest building in Texas when finished.

Both Austin and Nashville are growing fast, but Austin had a head start and is growing faster. No way Nashville catches up in the next decade, never mind overtakes Austin. . . .

Last edited by homeinatx; 10-13-2021 at 05:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City