Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2021, 03:53 PM

611 posts, read 364,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryfrmthe1 View Post
that was nashville’s 1970 metro pop

Yes it is because that it the subject and city populations are useless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 03:57 PM

56 posts, read 47,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbraybarten65 View Post
Yes it is because that it the subject and city populations are useless.
no what i’m saying that the 500k was the meter pop idk what the 700k was

Old 04-29-2021, 04:09 PM

I noted the metro population.

Old 04-29-2021, 05:00 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,394,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I ran across this thread:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...ns-1970-a.html

And was blown away. Austin MSA has grown from a paltry backwoods nothingdom to knocking on the top 20 doors since the 70s.

We never know how circumstances and fortunes are going to change and we definitely can't go by current populations or growth rates.

Here is a quote of the original post:

Would be nice if Nashville was included but it shows Austin came from nowhere
Uhmm, yeah. Is this news? That's the point we are making: Austin has been growing much faster for many decades. It caught up to Nashville around 2000 and has a significant lead at the moment. There is zero possibility of Nashville catching up by 2030, and even beyond that (say 2040 or 2050) would take a significant turn from the current trends. That's not impossible by any means, but still, it'd be a big change.

As far as 2030 goes, I'd point out that 2010 Austin was bigger than is 2020 Nashville, and then Austin grew by 30% over the next 10 years. It'd be mathematically impossible for Nashville to catch up by 2030.

Old 04-29-2021, 05:05 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,699,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Uhmm, yeah. Is this news? That's the point we are making: Austin has been growing much faster for many decades. It caught up to Nashville around 2000 and has a significant lead at the moment. There is zero possibility of Nashville catching up by 2030, and even beyond that (say 2040 or 2050) would take a significant turn from the current trends. That's not impossible by any means, but still, it'd be a big change.
I think their point is simply you never know what the future will bring.

Old 04-29-2021, 06:02 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,391,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I think their point is simply you never know what the future will bring.
While that May be true, we can always look back at history and see trends.

And the trends point to Austin staying ahead (of not getting further ahead) of Nashville.

Let me ask this.

What do people know Nashville for? (Country music)

What do people know Austin for? (Tech / Silicon Valley east.)

That alone should be some type of indicator.

Old 04-29-2021, 06:46 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,507,319 times
To the OP question... No! Austin's growth rate outpaces Nashville's. Texas also outpaces Tennessee, and that won't change anytime soon. Austin is bumping up against 1 million in its city proper. Nashville is around 725K, which shows an increase of 100K over 2010. Nevertheless, Austin has grown by nearly 200k this past decade. I do expect that Austin's growth rate will decline somewhat while Nashville's will increase in the decade ahead. Predictions for 2030: Austin will be slightly below 3 million, and Nashville slightly above 2.5 million. That will reflect about 700K increase for Austin and 500K for Nashville. One thing that may "jerk" the comparison around a bit could be if Montgomery County, TN joins the Nashville metropolitan area. The way things are at the moment, less than 20% of Montgomery County workers commute to Nashville at least 3X a week, but there's a lot of industrial investment in Montgomery County. The result may be a lot of Davidson County commuters to Montgomery. If that number reaches the right percentage of total workforce in Montgomery, it could be included by 2030 in the Nashville MSA. The population of Montgomery co. is currently around 220,000, on track for another 50-70K for the next decade.

Old 04-30-2021, 08:49 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
And for the record, Dirty sixth is quite a bit more lively, gritty and wild than Lower Broadway which really has become bachelorette party central.
I agree with most of your post but I strongly disagree with this statement. From y experience Lower Broadway can get pretty lively and gritty. I've seen some crazy stuff go down inside places like Tootsie's, Robert's Western World, etc and the street scene can get pretty chaotic and wild. Also, unlike Austin, places can serve booze until 3am and there are a couple of 24/7 liquor licenses out there so it stays crazy much later. There are a lot of bachelorette parties but they are by no means the majority of people out.

Old 05-01-2021, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post

What do people know Nashville for? (Country music)

What do people know Austin for? (Tech / Silicon Valley east.)

I would say that Austin is known for tech to many, but I don't know if that it's the dominant thing that it's known for yet. An aside, "east" is not something that would be used to describe a city in the middle of the country.

Old 05-01-2021, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
To the OP question... No! Austin's growth rate outpaces Nashville's. Texas also outpaces Tennessee, and that won't change anytime soon. Austin is bumping up against 1 million in its city proper. Nashville is around 725K, which shows an increase of 100K over 2010. Nevertheless, Austin has grown by nearly 200k this past decade. I do expect that Austin's growth rate will decline somewhat while Nashville's will increase in the decade ahead. Predictions for 2030: Austin will be slightly below 3 million, and Nashville slightly above 2.5 million. That will reflect about 700K increase for Austin and 500K for Nashville. One thing that may "jerk" the comparison around a bit could be if Montgomery County, TN joins the Nashville metropolitan area. The way things are at the moment, less than 20% of Montgomery County workers commute to Nashville at least 3X a week, but there's a lot of industrial investment in Montgomery County. The result may be a lot of Davidson County commuters to Montgomery. If that number reaches the right percentage of total workforce in Montgomery, it could be included by 2030 in the Nashville MSA. The population of Montgomery co. is currently around 220,000, on track for another 50-70K for the next decade.

We need to leave irrelevant city population out of this (let alone mixing the two within a comment).

Anyway, both are comparable and both are growing fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City