Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which State do YOU prefer
the great state of WASHINGTON 52 46.02%
the great state of NORTH CAROLINA 46 40.71%
Neither, I don't Like these states 6 5.31%
BOTH! I Love em 9 7.96%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 08:33 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,698,085 times

Advertisements

North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2021, 11:14 PM

638 posts, read 347,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Washington is too liberal, and most of the state is flat, barren farmland. While North Carolina has less dramatic topographical features than Washington, North Carolina is a prettier, more habitable state overall, in my opinion.
Doesn’t sound like you have ever been to WA. It is probably the most topographically diverse state outside Alaska and California.

WA state is very different than North Carolina. Quite a bit more different climates due to elevation changes. WA state has temperate rainforests forest, high desert, high alpine, inland sea, glaciers and one of the few areas of tundra in the lower 48.

Last edited by Thealpinist; 05-06-2021 at 11:25 PM..

Old 05-07-2021, 09:32 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
Oh my god...did he say "flat, barren farmland"?! The dairy farms and tulip fields in the Puget Sound basin are surrounded by hills and have mountain backdrops. The wheat fields of the Palouse (SE corner of the state) are on endless little hills and they plow along elevation gradients so there are no straight lines. The apples, hops, and grapes of the Yakima Valley are in the flat irrigated spots between mountainous desert.

Yeah, Bert_hasn't_been_here.

Old 05-07-2021, 09:51 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,881,270 times
I would go with Washington for the climate alone. I wouldn't live in Seattle, though. Too damp/rainy/gloomy, hideously overpriced, and if you want to drive yourself the transportation infrastructure sucks. I could see myself in a place like Yakima or the Palouse, though.

The southeast in general is way too hot and humid for me. The highlands may be slightly cooler, but it's still in a humid climate zone. No thanks.

Old 05-07-2021, 09:57 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Oh my god...did he say "flat, barren farmland"?! The dairy farms and tulip fields in the Puget Sound basin are surrounded by hills and have mountain backdrops. The wheat fields of the Palouse (SE corner of the state) are on endless little hills and they plow along elevation gradients so there are no straight lines. The apples, hops, and grapes of the Yakima Valley are in the flat irrigated spots between mountainous desert.

Yeah... there are flat parts of Washington state but it generally isn’t farmland, and what farmland there is can be picturesque as you said.

I do like North Carolina in its own right and think it has a lot to offer, and doesn’t have some of the problems plaguing our great state of Washington. But despite that I still think Washington is the better state overall.

Old 05-07-2021, 05:57 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,889,291 times
Thanks for the Maps! I knew Washington was mountainous But not That Mountainous

I didn't expect the poll to be so lop-sided

Old 05-07-2021, 06:32 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,698,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
North Carolina.
- Preferred Location = NC
- Brighter Future = NC
- Best Major Cities = NC
- Best Secondary Cities = NC
- Topography & Landscapes = Washington
- Economy = Washington
- Higher Education = NC
- Weather = NC

- The State I Prefer is? NC

Old 05-07-2021, 07:00 PM

638 posts, read 347,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Thanks for the Maps! I knew Washington was mountainous But not That Mountainous

I didn't expect the poll to be so lop-sided
Quite the contrast in states.

Old 05-07-2021, 07:07 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
- Preferred Location = NC
- Brighter Future = NC
- Best Major Cities = WA
- Best Secondary Cities = NC by far
- Topography & Landscapes = Tie or slight edge to WA
- Economy = NC
- Higher Education = NC
- Weather = WA

- The State I Prefer is? NC

NC doesn't have an answer for Seattle, but outside of the Seattle region Washington's cities are surprisingly disappointing imo. I think that most people in the state live along I-5 with the rest of the state mostly empty except for Spokane, which I found to be average at best.

I don't want to sound like I'm slamming Washington because it's certainly popular. And the only areas that I've spent several days in are Seattle and Spokane. I've also spent some time in Pullman, but I'm far from an expert on the state. Just my casual observations.

Old 05-07-2021, 07:13 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post

Washington's landscape is probably more diverse than people that haven't been there would think. That said, there's probably a reason that it doesn't have a national reputation. It's in a region where what it does well compared to NC isn't all that special compared to Montana, Idaho, and Oregon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City