Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which State do YOU prefer
the great state of WASHINGTON 52 46.02%
the great state of NORTH CAROLINA 46 40.71%
Neither, I don't Like these states 6 5.31%
BOTH! I Love em 9 7.96%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 07:28 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,040,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Washington's landscape is probably more diverse than people that haven't been there would think. That said, there's probably a reason that it doesn't have a national reputation. It's in a region where what it does well compared to NC isn't all that special compared to Montana, Idaho, and Oregon.
As a professional Forester, that has worked in all sorts of ecosystems throughout the western US.

It is a push between Washington state and California as the most ecologically diverse ecosystems.

Slight advantage to California, but it has destroyed many of its unique ecosystems. Washington has only started on its path to destruction in the past 30 years.

Washington does have a very unique and totally artificial "natural" ecosystem in the Columbia Basin.

https://usbackroads.blogspot.com/201...ashington.html

BUT, those Outer Banks in North Carolina have been on my list for a long time. Never made it there, sounds like I am years late in any case.

Been a resident of Washington state for 40 years. Yeah, that was a mistake, but I always thought I could easily move back to Idaho or Montana.

It is owned and operated by Corporate America. That probably is not much different than North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2021, 07:49 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
As a professional Forester, that has worked in all sorts of ecosystems throughout the western US.

It is a push between Washington state and California as the most ecologically diverse ecosystems.

Slight advantage to California, but it has destroyed many of its unique ecosystems. Washington has only started on its path to destruction in the past 30 years.

Washington does have a very unique and totally artificial "natural" ecosystem in the Columbia Basin.

https://usbackroads.blogspot.com/201...ashington.html

BUT, those Outer Banks in North Carolina have been on my list for a long time. Never made it there, sounds like I am years late in any case.

Been a resident of Washington state for 40 years. Yeah, that was a mistake, but I always thought I could easily move back to Idaho or Montana.

It is owned and operated by Corporate America. That probably is not much different than North Carolina.
Thank you. I do think that the beaches in NC are a big advantage over Washington. I have a coworker that went on vacation to a beach in Washington but I don't know how common that is. He had family there.

I'm sure that Washington is diverse, but is it great at any single thing? Is there topography, or forests, deserts, mountains, etc. in Washington that there aren't better examples of in adjacent states?

Old 05-07-2021, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Thank you. I do think that the beaches in NC are a big advantage over Washington. I have a coworker that went on vacation to a beach in Washington but I don't know how common that is. He had family there.

I'm sure that Washington is diverse, but is it great at any single thing? Is there topography, or forests, deserts, mountains, etc. in Washington that there aren't better examples of in adjacent states?
Could the same be said about NC? Maybe, but I do think that it's much more of a vacation destination than Washington.

Old 05-07-2021, 07:57 PM

638 posts, read 347,601 times
Quote:
Washington's landscape is probably more diverse than people that haven't been there would think. That said, there's probably a reason that it doesn't have a national reputation. It's in a region where what it does well compared to NC isn't all that special compared to Montana, Idaho, and Oregon.
That’s mainly because of its distance from the rest of the country.

Actually yea it’s pretty amazing compared to the states you mentioned. It’s just not marketed like some places on a National scale.

Largest glaciated volcanos in the lower 48. The largest glaciers in the lower 48. The highest concentration of glaciers in the lower 48. The only real temperate rainforests in the lower 48 (the only other place is in Alaska). The steepest peaks by sheer relief in the lower 48. Not to mention Puget Sound.

Not many places in the United States where you can see volcanoes from the ocean. Alaska and Hawaii the only other states with that distinction.

Old 05-07-2021, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealpinist View Post
That’s mainly because of its distance from the rest of the country.

Actually yea it’s pretty amazing compared to the states you mentioned. It’s just not marketed like some places on a National scale.

Largest glaciated volcanos in the lower 48. The largest glaciers in the lower 48. The highest concentration of glaciers in the lower 48. The only real temperate rainforests in the lower 48 (the only other place is in Alaska). The steepest peaks by sheer relief in the lower 48. Not to mention Puget Sound.

Not many places in the United States where you can see volcanoes from the ocean. Alaska and Hawaii the only other states with that distinction.
Maybe it comes down to personal preference, but I find the scenery in Montana to be amazing. And then they have Yellowstone which they share with Idaho I think. For me Washington doesn't come close. Washington would probably stand out more to me if I hadn't already driven through places like Yellowstone, Yosemite, Donner's Pass or the California-Oregon border.

I've seen Mt. Rainer, Mt. Hood, Mt. Shasta, and others from pretty close, especially Mt. Hood which I spent the day at. They all look similar to me and none are really big deals nationally. I didn't know that seeing a volcano from the ocean was a thing or what difference in perspective that might bring.

Old 05-07-2021, 09:18 PM

23,518 posts, read 24,000,129 times
Washington.

Old 05-07-2021, 09:44 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
I would choose North Carolina. Washington weather is dark and gloomy and rainy. It is isolated, overpriced, and smug, indifferent culture are not good.

Old 05-08-2021, 12:22 AM

638 posts, read 347,601 times
Quote:
Maybe it comes down to personal preference, but I find the scenery in Montana to be amazing. And then they have Yellowstone which they share with Idaho I think. For me Washington doesn't come close. Washington would probably stand out more to me if I hadn't already driven through places like Yellowstone, Yosemite, Donner's Pass or the California-Oregon border.

I've seen Mt. Rainer, Mt. Hood, Mt. Shasta, and others from pretty close, especially Mt. Hood which I spent the day at. They all look similar to me and none are really big deals nationally. I didn't know that seeing a volcano from the ocean was a thing or what difference in perspective that might bring.
Of course those places in Montana and California etc...are equally amazing, but pretty hard to beat views like this. Number of visits and name recognition don’t equal better. North Cascades National Park is one of the least visited parks in the lower 48. Part of that has to do with accessibility.

Saint Elias in Alaska is also one of the least visited parks (most Americans have never heard of it), but it’s obviously one of the most amazing. Name recognition does not equal amazing.

Mount Shuksan North Cascades

Mount Olympus, Olympic National Park

Last edited by Thealpinist; 05-08-2021 at 12:31 AM..

Old 05-08-2021, 02:24 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,275 times
Quote:

The San Juan Islands? Olympic National Park? The Hoh Rainforest? The Palouse? Etc., etc. Washington has some pretty spectacular, unique landscapes that can't be found anywhere else:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pr...k3p1CO8medXWxI

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fd/02...f6bd41e624.jpg

https://dgx9rrgrsfte9.cloudfront.net...Maya-8.jpg.jpg

https://i.redd.it/2vmnrjly9d651.jpg

https://thetravelmanuel.com/wp-conte...ashington_.jpg

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/08...ound-image.jpg

https://s3.wp.wsu.edu/uploads/sites/...0-1188x789.jpg

Last edited by Vincent_Adultman; 05-08-2021 at 02:39 AM..

Old 05-08-2021, 02:43 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,608 times
Quote:
There's also a difference in accessibility. Western Washington's landscape is easily accessible from metro Seattle. The Sound, Mount Rainier, Cascades and Olympics are easily visible and accessible throughout the Seattle metro area.

This is the kind of scenery well within metro Seattle (of the South Sound, own photo from this past weekend). Yeah Montana is nice, but getting there from any metro area greater than 1 million people isn't exactly easy.

I think an objective person can agree that short of Yosemite, this isn't exactly that common. It was hard for me to find even decent hiking places in the Triangle area in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City