Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preferable State: Washington or Texas
I'd Prefer Texas 46 38.33%
I'd Prefer Washington (the state) 65 54.17%
I Don't Like these states so I'd Prefer Neither 6 5.00%
I Love these states so I'd Prefer Both! 3 2.50%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2021, 01:00 PM

11,785 posts, read 7,995,430 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Seattle and during my stay there, it was definitely overcast more than it was sunny. The only sunny periods that were fairly extended were between July and September. That stated, the overcast didn't bother or depress me. Infact I actually look forward to cold misty overcast days here in Austin because it mildly reminds me of waking up and going out for coffee in a cold dark wintery morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykcawtsrif View Post
Answers in bold below.

- Best Secondary Cities Again, Washington. Tacoma, Bellingham, Olympia, Vancouver (WA, not BC), and Spokane are much nicer than Texas' secondary cities, such as Corpus Christi, the Rio Grande Valley (Brownsville, Harlingen, McAllen, etc.), Waco, Amarillo, etc.
I personally consider Austin and San Antonio as secondary cities, especially in light of DFW and Houston. The cities you listed are easily Tier 3 / Tier 4 cities. In terms of secondary cities I personally think Texas has the better selection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2021, 05:17 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
- Preferred Location = Texas
- Brighter Future = Texas
- Best Major Cities = Texas
- Best Secondary Cities = Texas
- Topography & Landscapes = Washington
- Economy = Texas
- Higher Education = Texas
- Weather = Texas

- The State I Prefer is? Texas
Agreed with everything here except the weather, I am not really a hot weather person.

So it would be Texas for me.

Old 05-09-2021, 06:24 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,391,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
Do people actually believe we have 9 months of darkness here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
It's no different than people here who believe 98*F with a 60% humidity is normal weather for all of Texas.
Aren’t you the one who said WA has 9 months of winter?

Old 05-09-2021, 06:40 PM

374 posts, read 256,928 times
- Preferred Location: Texas (DFW to be specific)
- Brighter Future: Depends on what you do I suppose but I'm biased so Texas
- Best Major Cities: Dallas is my favorite city hands down and Austin and Houston are also a lot of fun to visit so....Texas again
- Best Secondary Cities: Really only visited smaller Texas cities in any meaningful amount (Amarillo, Lubbock, Wichita Falls, Waco, Denton, etc) so Texas once again
- Topography & Landscapes: This is a tie. Washington has absolutely gorgeous mountainous landscapes but the canyonlands and wide open hill country in Texas are just too much fun to cruise around in.
- Economy: Texas does not seem to be slowing down at all so I think it wins, but I don't know much about Washington
- Higher Education: Don't know too much about either state so another draw
- Weather: Storm season, warmer weather, semi arid to tropical climates, Texas nearly has everything!
- The State I Prefer is? Texas, hands down, bar none, the much better state in my opinion.

Definitely an odd comparison to have to make though since neither are anywhere near similar to each other.

Old 05-09-2021, 09:37 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith32 View Post
- Topography & Landscapes: This is a tie. Washington has absolutely gorgeous mountainous landscapes but the canyonlands and wide open hill country in Texas are just too much fun to cruise around in.
- Economy: Texas does not seem to be slowing down at all so I think it wins, but I don't know much about Washington
- Weather: Storm season, warmer weather, semi arid to tropical climates, Texas nearly has everything!
- The State I Prefer is? Texas, hands down, bar none, the much better state in my opinion.
One thing doesn't lead to the other... Nothing like having strong opinions without knowing much of anything about the other state you're comparing to.

Also, plenty of wide open land and canyon vistas in Washington state.

Old 05-11-2021, 10:19 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,889,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith32 View Post
- Preferred Location: Texas (DFW to be specific)
- Brighter Future: Depends on what you do I suppose but I'm biased so Texas
- Best Major Cities: Dallas is my favorite city hands down and Austin and Houston are also a lot of fun to visit so....Texas again
- Best Secondary Cities: Really only visited smaller Texas cities in any meaningful amount (Amarillo, Lubbock, Wichita Falls, Waco, Denton, etc) so Texas once again

Definitely an odd comparison to have to make though since neither are anywhere near similar to each other.
Wow 1st Time I Ever Heard Dallas called someone's Favorite City...nothing wrong with that I guess

Old 05-12-2021, 10:51 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Wow 1st Time I Ever Heard Dallas called someone's Favorite City...nothing wrong with that I guess
I did a double take when I read that too.
I was wondering if he meant favorite period, or favorite in Texas or from the cities being discussed. But even then I would expect someone to say that of Austin, San Antonio or Seattle.
Dallas gets respect for livability, economy, cost of living but its not often I hear that it's someone's favorite city hands-down. It is a jack of all trades but a master of none. Seattle has its charms and Austin has that live music and outdoorsy PR going for it, but Dallas doesn't really have that major thing that sets it clearly apart.
I personally know tons of people who love living there; it's definitely a cushy place to live; it's the love portrayed in that statement that Iam not used to hearing

Old 05-12-2021, 11:23 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,511,989 times
Between the two, Texas. Easily. Western WA is ridiculously expensive, depressing climate, and the QOL has plummeted due to the social unrest and Antifa/BLM influence there.

Old 05-12-2021, 11:24 AM

12,824 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Pretty surprising results.

Old 05-12-2021, 12:04 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
This is an urbanity forum, so of course Washington wins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City