Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Best Upscale Suburbs
Alpharetta / Johns Creek / Roswell (Atlanta) 13 12.15%
Birmingham / West Bloomfield / Bloomfield Hills (Detroit) 11 10.28%
Boca Raton (Miami) 5 4.67%
Centennial (Denver) 0 0%
Edina / Eden Prairie (Minneapolis) 2 1.87%
Fishers / Carmel (Indianapolis) 1 0.93%
Franklin / Brentwood (Nashville) 8 7.48%
Hoover / Vestavia Hills (Birmingham) 0 0%
Irvine / Costa Mesa / Newport Beach (Los Angeles) 5 4.67%
Main Line (Philadelphia) 8 7.48%
Reston / Herndon / Sterling / Ashburn (Washington DC) 3 2.80%
North Scottsdale (Phoenix) 8 7.48%
Shaker Heights / Beachwood (Cleveland) 2 1.87%
The Woodlands (Houston) 5 4.67%
Town & Country / Creve Coeur (St. Louis) 2 1.87%
West Plano / Frisco (Dallas) 11 10.28%
Other 23 21.50%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 01:11 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Yes.
You are from Atlanta. Outside of Alpharetta, what other quality ATL suburbs are there that meet these definitions? Im thinking Buckhead? No?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2021, 01:13 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times
The more I pass through suburbia the more I dislike it.

Old 05-10-2021, 01:19 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
You are from Atlanta. Outside of Alpharetta, what other quality ATL suburbs are there that meet these definitions? Im thinking Buckhead? No?
No. Buckhead is part of the City, and very different from all of these. It's drop dead gorgeous in the neighborhoods and there's easy access to a ton of amenities, but it's just different.

Don't get me wrong, I love Alpharetta. The terrain is much prettier to me than this Detroit trio, but they really pack a punch when it comes to very nice suburban living. I'm a big fan of Downtown Birmingham as well. Totally unexpected, it’s quite urban considering where it is and very cool.

Old 05-10-2021, 01:23 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Interesting that Detroit is currently leading a poll that has a positive subject matter
There is a night and day difference between the city of Detroit and suburbs of Detroit.

Old 05-10-2021, 01:26 PM

994 posts, read 780,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
For Cleveland, I wouldn't lump Beachwood and Shaker Heights together. Shaker Heights is a classic streetcar suburb with fantastic architecture and infrastructure. Two light rail lines, tudor homes everywhere, clear European influence and a few lakes for good measure. It is charming and a premiere suburb in the country. Beachwood on the other hand is largely a post-war boom suburb with boring bland architecture and nothing really going on except low taxes and a good school district.
Beachwood has the high end shopping, and while what you said is somewhat true, some of the southwest portions of Beachwood are indistinguishable from Shaker. The other side of Warrensville Center Road across from the Van Aken District/train stop is mostly Beachwood.

I think since shopping is part of the criteria, that's why OP included them together.

BTW, I picked Shaker because it does well on all the criteria listed (shopping if Beachwood is included), but mainly due to its history of integration and being racially inclusive.

Old 05-10-2021, 01:27 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,419,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
OP should have added Chevy Chase, Bethesda, Rockville... The Reston/Ashburn corridor, really??
Yeah I absolutely wouldn't have picked those for the DC area. It has to be Potomac/Bethesda/Great Falls/McLean right?

Old 05-10-2021, 01:28 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
There is a night and day difference between the city of Detroit and suburbs of Detroit.
I definitely know that.
My observation was specific to the fact that I don't see Detroit often winning polls that are of a positive subject matter. Doesn't matter if they are different or not, is just good to see it winning for something that's not bad

Old 05-10-2021, 01:34 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Yeah I absolutely wouldn't have picked those for the DC area. It has to be Potomac/Bethesda/Great Falls/McLean right?
You could separate them MD and VA honestly, Potomac, Bethesda, Chevy Chase, or McLean, Great Falls, Falls Church etc. But Herndon, Sterling, and Ashburn?? Wouldn't fit here. OP probably isn't up on what's the foremost "upscale" suburbs in each city, fair enough.

Old 05-10-2021, 01:48 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
While I think The Woodlands is the best of Houston. In terms of concentration it only really borders the nice areas of Klein, Texas and Spring, and it’s very solidly middle class outside of the city itself. If we are talking continuation of wealth, the greatest concentration is Fort Bend County, particularly South Katy/Fulshear/ West Richmond+Aliana/ Sugar Land/ South Missouri City. Basically along 99 south. Katy has the greatest concentration of 100k residents in the metro nearly 200,000 people in South Katy with a median income of over 120,000 USD. Fulshear is actually the wealthiest suburb outside Sam Houston Tollway (median income of nearly 170,000 USD). Richmond and Missouri City at extremely diverse for the high income level, and Sugar Land is probably the best incorporated city in the Houston area.

The only issue is around Richmond it gets patchy as Richmond isn’t fully built out so lots of purely middle class neighborhoods, but West (of 99) Richmond is overwhelmingly upper middle class.

When the Richmond and Fulshear areas get fully built out and if, Rosenberg can string together some improvements the area should rise in prominence, especially compared to The Woodlands that is isolated in its region.

Old 05-10-2021, 01:57 PM

403 posts, read 295,966 times
This poll is sort of a mess imo.

You are comparing Birmingham, AL suburbs which is a class C and arguably C- city by most regards on nearly all metrics with DC, Atlanta and Philadelphia suburbs which are all class A cities.

It does not make sense. Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City