Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 04:38 AM

1,351 posts, read 893,910 times

Advertisements

Texas.

I love the geographic diversity, blend of regions and cultures, and the pride people there have. There's a big emphasis on music, and people are generally very welcoming and friendly.

I hate the arrogance that said pride often boils over into, and find the self-absorption to be comical. I think if you stamped a Lone Star onto logs of human feces, you could sell it for $3.99 at the counter at Buccees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2021, 06:20 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,037,130 times
I misunderstood the OP. By the title of the thread, I thought this about two cities or states that have a love/hate relationship with each other. Now I see that it's ones that I personally have that relationship with. In that case it's California. Beautiful state to visit, but wouldn't want to live there (again). It's one of my favorite and least favorite states at the same time.

Old 05-16-2021, 07:44 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
LA tops my love/hate city list. I worked for Asian companies for a bunch o' years. Most had their US HQ around Irvine. From Boston, there are no nonstop flights to John Wayne so I'd always fly into LAX. The airport to hotel or airport to office building drive in the rental car was always awful. The 40 mile gauntlet with 24x7 traffic and endless sprawl. Years ago, I sold a company to a company in Thousand Oaks. Same LAX gauntlet but in the other direction. I've done a bunch of conventions over the years downtown. Lots of dinners/outings on the beach. The weather is great. There are lots of nice spots on the beach. Downtown is OK. If I didn't have to drive in it, it would be a great place.

Old 05-16-2021, 08:33 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Not sure I understand the criticisms of Boston as just so darn resistant to change... it seems that the city has sold itself out. Many areas are now just Any Yuppie Neighborhood, USA (Harvard Square, Kenmore Square, Southie, for example have lost basically all personality). Boston is quickly losing any remaining uniqueness.

Old 05-16-2021, 09:35 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
Surprised I’ve not seen anyone mention Miami.

Over the years I’ve read here on CD how many of you hate the people (rude, certain types of people), heat, humidity, traffic/drivers but some/many of y’all love to visit for the beach, nightlife, events and women and/or live here for the positives, in spite of the negatives, including no state taxes.

Old 05-16-2021, 09:55 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Not sure I understand the criticisms of Boston as just so darn resistant to change... it seems that the city has sold itself out. Many areas are now just Any Yuppie Neighborhood, USA (Harvard Square, Kenmore Square, Southie, for example have lost basically all personality). Boston is quickly losing any remaining uniqueness.
My comment was meant to convey just that. The attitude and general resistance/"resting on its laurels" didn't stop Boston from rapidly become just another generic metro at the expense of what that attitude supposedly was keeping at bay.

Old 05-16-2021, 10:40 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Not sure I understand the criticisms of Boston as just so darn resistant to change...
Drive up to Saugus, MA and you’ll find a town that has roughly remained the same over the last 30 years. In the middle of the housing crisis, they passed a 2 year construction moratorium on multifamily homes: https://saugus.wickedlocal.com/news/...mily-dwellings

Quote:
Many areas are now just Any Yuppie Neighborhood, USA (Harvard Square, Kenmore Square, Southie, for example have lost basically all personality).
I think Harvard and Central still had some life and individuality to them, but it’s been a year since I really hung out in Cambridge. Is there any particular store or restaurant in Harvard that you miss?

Kenmore died a long time ago, and BU killed it. It didn’t gentrify like a normal part of the city; it was neutered. On the flip side, though, Fenway south of the highway is way nicer now than it was 10 years ago. The restoration of the muddy river was particularly spectacular.

Southie is different, but I don’t know many who long for the days of Bulger and busing. It’s still very Irish, iirc.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 05-16-2021 at 11:04 AM..

Old 05-16-2021, 11:45 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Surprised I’ve not seen anyone mention Miami.

Over the years I’ve read here on CD how many of you hate the people (rude, certain types of people), heat, humidity, traffic/drivers but some/many of y’all love to visit for the beach, nightlife, events and women and/or live here for the positives, in spite of the negatives, including no state taxes.
Miami isn't really love/hate.

You either love going to Miami and look up to people go/live there. Or you hate it, and really look down on people who go/live there.

I rarely meet anybody in between.

Personally, I found the people to be rude and had plenty of racist encounters travelling with Black people. But I dont hate it. I like the beaches and nightlife. Honestly, Miami is one of those cities I rarely think of unless I have to connect through it on AA or see it in the news for Spring Break. Its like a vacation spot, and only a vacation spot (to me)... so like Las Vegas. You either LOVE going there, or HATE going there.

Old 05-16-2021, 11:57 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
I usually hear love visiting, hate living there

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Miami isn't really love/hate.

You either love going to Miami and look up to people go/live there. Or you hate it, and really look down on people who go/live there.

I rarely meet anybody in between.

Personally, I found the people to be rude and had plenty of racist encounters travelling with Black people. But I dont hate it. I like the beaches and nightlife. Honestly, Miami is one of those cities I rarely think of unless I have to connect through it on AA or see it in the news for Spring Break. Its like a vacation spot, and only a vacation spot (to me)... so like Las Vegas. You either LOVE going there, or HATE going there.

Old 05-16-2021, 12:43 PM

1,393 posts, read 859,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Drive up to Saugus, MA and you’ll find a town that has roughly remained the same over the last 30 years. In the middle of the housing crisis, they passed a 2 year construction moratorium on multifamily homes: https://saugus.wickedlocal.com/news/...mily-dwellings

I think Harvard and Central still had some life and individuality to them, but it’s been a year since I really hung out in Cambridge. Is there any particular store or restaurant in Harvard that you miss?

Kenmore died a long time ago, and BU killed it. It didn’t gentrify like a normal part of the city; it was neutered. On the flip side, though, Fenway south of the highway is way nicer now than it was 10 years ago. The restoration of the muddy river was particularly spectacular.

Southie is different, but I don’t know many who long for the days of Bulger and busing. It’s still very Irish, iirc.
Harvard, central, Davis, inman, union have plenty of life and uniqueness..
I think the with all the outdoor seating now in Boston this will change the way the city thinks about these things..they are profitable..I can honestly say back bay and Cambridge were as busy yesterday as I’ve ever seen them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City