Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 11:08 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
HONK is a street music festival. Ok?? We have those here too. Only not with as much affected "quirkiness". HONK was quickly corporatized and now is held in several cities nationwide. The reason it adjusts to everywhere is because it's a very basic, generic concept, like most of the Boston area is now. Exactly my point.

Tatte is an arrogant overrated and overpriced chain. It's honestly not even that good.

Sorry, ART isn't a studio but when I read it I saw the word "art" and associated it with "studio". Surely this isn't that confusing to you?

I strongly dislike "milennial culture" which the Boston area is smothered in. Take that into consideration I guess when reading my criticism. Boston isn't the only city like this, but it is the only one like this I've lived in. This is the "hate" part of the "Love/hate." Born in 1989 here btw.
So a millennial yourself? I’ve never gotten corporate vibes from HONK, but maybe the ones in NYC, Seattle, and Austin are. I wouldn’t know. I really like Tatte’s breakfast sandwiches and chocolate croissants. It’s expensive but worth it, imo. It was confused in the sense that I thought you knew Harvard Square well enough to know about the American Repertory Theater; I usually use the acronym cuz the middle word is a mouthful and hard to spell. I feel like Boston might be close to having as many gen Zs as millennials if it’s not already there. Most millennials are past their college years though there may be quite a few in grad school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2021, 02:34 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times
For me it's Florida.

It's my home state and there are a lot of things I love about it, particularly its natural beauty.

But there are also things about it I can't stand.

It's tacky and overpriced. Most of the development over the past 40-50 years is hideous and poorly-thought out. The state has pretty much always had a massive identity crisis (it doesn't know who it is or what it wants to be), and it draws the most bizarre characters to come join in the fun and the sun.

There are worse places to live than Florida, but I would sure hate to have to move back.

Old 05-17-2021, 02:38 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
So a millennial yourself? I’ve never gotten corporate vibes from HONK, but maybe the ones in NYC, Seattle, and Austin are. I wouldn’t know. I really like Tatte’s breakfast sandwiches and chocolate croissants. It’s expensive but worth it, imo. It was confused in the sense that I thought you knew Harvard Square well enough to know about the American Repertory Theater; I usually use the acronym cuz the middle word is a mouthful and hard to spell. I feel like Boston might be close to having as many gen Zs as millennials if it’s not already there. Most millennials are past their college years though there may be quite a few in grad school.
My ex in boston performed at ART actually a couple times and I even worked at Harvard for 4 years, on Quincy street.

Old 05-17-2021, 02:40 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Houston is a big one.

On the one hand, I think a lot of the Houston hate (particularly from DFW and Austin people) is transparently racist/classist, while its diversity goes widely unrecognized by woke liberals. And I like that a combination of population growth and pro-development zoning laws is enabling a lot of new housing to get built in Houston's (surprisingly walkable) inner-loop neighborhoods. It's not always the most attractive, but adequate housing supply in core neighborhoods is massively more important than looks.

But at the same time I hate a lot of what Houston represents: the old energy economy (yes I know that oil is essential for society to function, that's the problem), endless and haphazard urban sprawl (at least DFW and Phoenix have some semi-decent suburban downtowns), and paying working-class Houstonians $7.25 an hour (absolutely shameful) and then not even giving them competent public transit to get around.
I agree with a lot of this but I will say the energy economy is doing a real good job capturing green energy jobs in place of O&G ones.

Old 05-17-2021, 03:09 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDfinest View Post
Something about the few cities & states I'm most familiar with:

DC:

I hate the overarching influence the Federal government has had on the city holding it back (especially socially) from really diversifying its industries as quickly as other cities have in the past & are currently doing in the present. I also hate how the lack of certain things (ie, notable ethnic enclaves, unified overreaching culture & lack of a bit of oomph) isn't as present as some other major cities with more storied local histories. The height limit also stifles things a bit and played a part in some of this too. I also hate how the social scene on almost all fronts in the city takes itself too seriously (All a result of the height limit, being a capital city, the industries present and again the Federal Government being present) which results in a perfectionist attitude which can be a real hindrance which results in a judgmental attitude among the populace.

With that being said, I love how the height limit keeps it from being a concrete jungle whereby you can actually look up into the sky. I love the protected greenery and the upkeep of architecture which gives it a classy air. The cleanliness and the commitment to aesthetic urban design are things I appreciate. I also love the forward-thinking trajectory in regards to local laws being implemented in the city within the last few years and in regards to real estate development. I love the interesting neighborhoods and the roundabouts in the city as well as the growing cosmopolitanism and social openness. I also like how the city has tried to open itself up more with certain initiatives in the arts and in increasing its private sector while still maintaining the Federal presence which helps creates economic stability which essentially seams into the rest of the metropolitan area (Not too many recessionary shocks in this region). The perfectionist attitude also ensures everything in the city is done and planned to the highest standard.

Baltimore:

I hate the government cronyism, the crime, the lack of upkeep, the grime, and the slow-paced nature (results in slow service sometimes)- Being from the DC area, I am particular about service being punctual lol.

That being said, I love the city pride, the relaxed pace, the Inner Harbor, Hampden, some of the other interior neighborhoods as well as the cool waterfront neighborhoods. The freewheeling nightlife and social scene is also something I like about the city.

Maryland (My home state):

I hate the traffic, economic stagnation (only 3 Fortune 500 companies are HQ'd here despite being one of the wealthiest states in the Union). I also hate the parochialism in certain parts of the state (which keeps development and amenities from being present) and the lack of civic unity due to parts of the state being so different (Western MD vs Capital Region vs Central MD vs Southern MD/Eastern Shore) and having different interests which don't align with the greater good of the state. This kills progression (economic, physical landscape and to a lesser extent social) from taking place at rapid speed. I also don't like how sparsely distributed our transit is (poor commuter rail service compared to a lot of states to the North of us) and there is way too much greenfield in most of the state which gives the landscape along the main roads a monotonous feeling thus resulting in the state sometimes being boring to me at times. The passivity of MD culture and government isn't something I care for much which is a result of a lack of self-promotion of putting Maryland out there into the consciousness of pop culture.

With that being said, I love how environmental preservation & conservation is taken seriously in this state especially in regards to the Chesapeake Bay and how the parkways give a certain scenic feel especially along Southern MD & in Western MD too and even seeps into the more developed parts of the state (Baltimore area & the DC area) resulting in a QOL I am extremely satisfied with. A lot of nice scenery especially with the rolling hills, beaches, and other varying terrains. I like how each part of the state has its own flavors and attitudes as well as sensibilities. I love the seafood, the water activities, the growing cosmopolitanism/social openness, the forward trajectory of the state despite some of the issues I laid out before, and the taxes aren't so bad in comparison to a lot of other wealthy states especially when it comes to property taxes. I love the connectivity we have to other interesting points along the Eastern Seaboard (The NC Outer Banks, Richmond, Virginia Beach, Jersey Shore, Delaware beaches, Philly, NYC). I also like the presence of the Federal government anchored industries which again helps with the economic stability. I also like how small Maryland is as this allows for natural amenities and important cultural points to be accessed quickly. I also love the growing pride in the state and all of the interesting cities, towns & some of the historical CDPs with their own beautiful pieces of architecture and layout. Finally, I also love how very few natural disasters occur here.

As a bonus, Virginia

VA: I don't like how big the state is (a bit trivial) and there's way too much open land. Not too fond of SW Virginia. I really only like NoVa, Richmond, and the Virginia Beach areas.

I love the economic strength and quick growth of the state (something MD could take note of) as well as the many interesting towns of VA. Shenandoah Valley is also really beautiful and adds to VA's scenery.
As a fellow DMVer, I agree with just about all of this. I can admit to feeling frustrated with some aspects of Maryland, but I can certainly think of far worse places to be.

For me - Atlanta. I lived there for many years and while I'll always have love for it - the weather, the food, the semi-urban vibe, seeing lots of black people doing well for themselves and enjoying life (important to me as a black man), but there's enough diversity there if you're looking for that experience as well (the metro area as a whole is far more diverse than it was 20-30 years ago), the feelings of optimism and positivity, great nightlife, the airport (it might be crowded, but it's efficient and you can fly just about anywhere around the world), the decent cost of living, the friendships I made there, the cultural amenities, the business-friendly environment where entrepreneurship isn't a pipe dream, the greenery, getting things done despite itself.

However, I couldn't stand the traffic, the bad public transportation, how its constantly at odds with the rest of the state full of regressive politics and politicians who don't like the demographic changes and fighting to preserve a past that is no longer there and trying to turn the state into Alabama or Mississippi; plus the increase of wanton violence and feelings of general lawlessness in and around Metro Atlanta, how a lot of scammers and criminally-minded people looking to screw over people have moved down there over the past 20 years, the middling economy that doesn't help raise the boats, so to speak, resulting in said crime and increase in suburban poverty and economic disparity there; the fakeness of the "Hollywood/socialite" scene, the general "smoke and mirrors" feel that you get, I could go on. Atlanta is definitely a city I've had a love-hate relationship with over the years

Old 05-18-2021, 12:37 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Houston is a big one.

On the one hand, I think a lot of the Houston hate (particularly from DFW and Austin people) is transparently racist/classist, while its diversity goes widely unrecognized by woke liberals. And I like that a combination of population growth and pro-development zoning laws is enabling a lot of new housing to get built in Houston's (surprisingly walkable) inner-loop neighborhoods. It's not always the most attractive, but adequate housing supply in core neighborhoods is massively more important than looks.

But at the same time I hate a lot of what Houston represents: the old energy economy (yes I know that oil is essential for society to function, that's the problem), endless and haphazard urban sprawl (at least DFW and Phoenix have some semi-decent suburban downtowns), and paying working-class Houstonians $7.25 an hour (absolutely shameful) and then not even giving them competent public transit to get around.
One of the things that impressed me most about Houston when I attended a family reunion there two years ago was the way the various racial and ethnic groups mixed easily and casually in the public spaces I was in. That was something I haven't really seen anywhere else save maybe Mt. Airy here in Philadelphia, and I'm not even sure about that.

Houston's bus system got a total makeover about five years ago or so, done by noted transit consultant Jarrett Walker ("Human Transit"). I understand that the revamp dramatically cut the amount of time Houston bus riders spent on the buses getting from Point A to Point B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
Harvard, central, Davis, inman, union have plenty of life and uniqueness..
I think the with all the outdoor seating now in Boston this will change the way the city thinks about these things..they are profitable..I can honestly say back bay and Cambridge were as busy yesterday as I’ve ever seen them
Sidewalk dining, it seems to me, does a lot to change the character and ambience of a city. It's done a lot to enliven Center City Philadelphia.

Old 05-18-2021, 07:26 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
MA/RI/NH definitely do.

We can crap on eachother all day, but once a NYer or someone else gets in and insults one of the 3, its not permitted. Dont crap on it if you aren't from there.

Same thing with Staten Island in NYC. They love/hate it.

Old 05-18-2021, 11:28 AM

1,037 posts, read 679,853 times
I've thought of some states I have love/hate relationships with:

Connecticut: I could happily live along the metro-north cities. Stamford's a little sterile, but it's nice. Same with Norwalk. Bridgeport is meh and New Haven is probably the best city in CT despite the recent uptick in crime. But man, Hartford and the suburbs to the north of CT up to the Mass border are some of the most boring-looking and depressing places this side of the Mississippi. Not saying they're run down, they're just boring and uninspiring.

New Hampshire: I love the mountains, lakes, seashore and some of their cooler cities (Keene, Portsmouth, Concord, Littleton, Plymouth), but the whole "we're libertarian and free" nonsense they keep spouting up there is quite a turn off. Sure, they complain all day about people from Mass and the dominance of the Mass economy, yet so many people from Southern NH make their money in Mass. Sure, NH has no income tax, but you still have to pay Mass income tax and those high paying jobs aren't moving north of the border. Sure, NH is "tax free", but you will still pay.

I think it's the hypocrisy of NH that bothers me the most. They fail to realize that the only way they can have their lower taxes is because their SE portion of their state borders Mass and lots of good jobs. Sure, VT borders MA, but not areas with a large population or jobs, so they must find other ways to raise taxes for their state. Same with Maine.

At the end of the day, as they currently stand, Mass could live with out NH, but NH couldn't live without Mass, and I with more Granite Staters would realize that.

Update: reread my post. I sure use "sure" a lot. lol

Old 05-18-2021, 11:37 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
I've thought of some states I have love/hate relationships with:

Connecticut: I could happily live along the metro-north cities. Stamford's a little sterile, but it's nice. Same with Norwalk. Bridgeport is meh and New Haven is probably the best city in CT despite the recent uptick in crime. But man, Hartford and the suburbs to the north of CT up to the Mass border are some of the most boring-looking and depressing places this side of the Mississippi. Not saying they're run down, they're just boring and uninspiring.

New Hampshire: I love the mountains, lakes, seashore and some of their cooler cities (Keene, Portsmouth, Concord, Littleton, Plymouth), but the whole "we're libertarian and free" nonsense they keep spouting up there is quite a turn off. Sure, they complain all day about people from Mass and the dominance of the Mass economy, yet so many people from Southern NH make their money in Mass. Sure, NH has no income tax, but you still have to pay Mass income tax and those high paying jobs aren't moving north of the border. Sure, NH is "tax free", but you will still pay.

I think it's the hypocrisy of NH that bothers me the most. They fail to realize that the only way they can have their lower taxes is because their SE portion of their state borders Mass and lots of good jobs. Sure, VT borders MA, but not areas with a large population or jobs, so they must find other ways to raise taxes for their state. Same with Maine.

At the end of the day, as they currently stand, Mass could live with out NH, but NH couldn't live without Mass, and I with more Granite Staters would realize that.

Update: reread my post. I sure use "sure" a lot. lol
If this aint the truth.. NHites are just so hostile to MA. Like the NH forum, they hate us lol. Its hate on their side. Its love on our side because we use their mountains and lakes lol

Old 05-18-2021, 01:21 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,373,235 times
Dallas/Ft Worth

Spent much of my early life there due to a parental military transfer from Virginia. Love the kindness and generosity of the native Texans, my family & friendship ties. Really like the can do attitude in the Metroplex. The business and built environments are amazing. As far as employment, shopping, racial diversity, dining, dating, making new friendships, quality of life etc..there is anything & everything your heart desires there. I totally understand why soo many people relocate to the area and are happy.

The relative lack of greenery, flatness and seemingly endless late summer heatwaves & dryness all make it hard from me to choose to ever live in DFW on a permanent basis again. The urban environment in and around Dallas while neat & well built feels very manufactured. You sense the city is trying too hard to feel urban and to make a good impression. It doesn’t feel organic by any means.

All in all.. Could I live there again? Absolutely. But, I’m not seeking it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City