Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 08:40 PM

1,037 posts, read 678,658 times

Advertisements

What cities or states do you have a love/hate relationship with?

What I mean by that is that are there any places in the US where you have both extreme love and hatred for the location.

For me, I've always had a love/hate relationship with NYC.

I love the excitement of the city, the food, the vibrancy, the late night culture and the scale of the multi-culturalism. What I hate about NYC is the lousy wages, huge wealth disparity, the self-importance and constant need to impress others that many of its inhabitants possess, while I also seem to find more severely beaten down and depressed individuals roaming this city streets.

I can't think of a city in the world where I have both extreme love and hate for a location than NYC.

What about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2021, 08:44 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
For me it's definitely Boston. I love the aesthetic of it and I loved a lot about it when I lived there. But that faded considerably after about 5 years and everything just seemed like a massive headache. I've been back about 4 times since leaving and every time I think one minute "why did I leave?" And then the next "oh right. That's exactly why."

Old 05-14-2021, 09:01 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Boston- Its my hometown, and the city is upscale and gorgeous with a lot of great people and food. But I hate it because its so backwards, the city acts as if it puritan. No drink specials. Slow development. Slow everything. Just so regressive. It was nice, but probably won't go back.

New York City- I hate the sports. But the city is always great to find things to do and eat in. Lot of great nightlife, but I dont ike it because I am from Boston.

pretty much those too.

Old 05-14-2021, 10:34 PM

1,037 posts, read 678,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Boston- Its my hometown, and the city is upscale and gorgeous with a lot of great people and food. But I hate it because its so backwards, the city acts as if it puritan. No drink specials. Slow development. Slow everything. Just so regressive. It was nice, but probably won't go back.

New York City- I hate the sports. But the city is always great to find things to do and eat in. Lot of great nightlife, but I dont ike it because I am from Boston.

pretty much those too.
I grew up outside of Boston and I love coming back every year for my yearly trips. I could see myself living there again, despite the city's flaws.

Old 05-15-2021, 12:10 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,300 times
Los Angeles.

I feel like you're always dealing with extreme satisfaction and dissatisfaction when visiting LA. Traveling around/to/from LA is just such a terrible experience, but once you're actually at your destination it's amazing. I keep going back because it's a great city, but it never seems to be a 100% enjoyable trip for various reasons (not just traffic).

Oh and i hate them because they stole San Diego sports teams.

Old 05-15-2021, 12:56 AM

2,327 posts, read 2,276,900 times
California. It’s the most diverse and most beautiful state. SoCal has the best weather anywhere. San Francisco and LA are my 1st and 3rd favorite major US cities. There’s just a lot to love about the state. What I hate about it are high taxes and a generally unfriendly business environment. Not to get political, but I’ll just say my views are unpopular there.

Old 05-15-2021, 07:31 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
I grew up outside of Boston and I love coming back every year for my yearly trips. I could see myself living there again, despite the city's flaws.
Yeah Boston is great for annual trips or special events.. but being in NJ, the pace there is just too slow for me and the people are stuck up. I love it. But I hate it too. People here think im crazy, because a lot of people in NJ consider Boston their favorite city.. and they are like why did you move here from there?? Its like.. well try living there 1 year and you tell me. I like Boston a lot, don't get me wrong, but things just aggravate me a lot. Especially for someone under 27 years old.

Also, il add Chicago. Its my ultimate favorite city. But I can't move there yet. So I hate that I cant.

Old 05-15-2021, 07:43 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,948,786 times
Most of the larger southern cities, since many are pretty progressive, but are backed by a backwards state government that cause many of the collar and exurban counties of them to be at odds with the central city/county and more in line with the state. Atlanta, Nashville, Memphis, Louisville, Raleigh, Charlotte, Charleston, the big TX and FL cities, and New Orleans come to mind. Most of them also have this due to many being affordable to live in and having mild winters as well as vibrant core neighborhoods, but with the long, hot summers and the sprawly, autocentric development with few walkable suburbs within them also mean that they just feel like giant suburbs that happen to have an island of urbanity within them.

Old 05-15-2021, 07:48 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Default Cities/States with love/hate relationship

Quote:

What I mean by that is that are there any places in the US where you have both extreme love and hatred for the location.

I love the excitement of the city, the food, the vibrancy, the late night culture and the scale of the multi-culturalism. What I hate about NYC is the lousy wages, huge wealth disparity, the self-importance and constant need to impress others that many of its inhabitants possess, while I also seem to find more severely beaten down and depressed individuals roaming this city streets.

I can't think of a city in the world where I have both extreme love and hate for a location than NYC.

What about you?
New York City and New York State are very much up there.

I cannot think of a much more adverse situation then the damage & division to New York State politics by the creation of New York City, except perhaps Chicago to Illinois. Often its New York City and a few other places vs. the rest of New York State.

But its not just the politics. I am a former Queens resident and I still miss Queens sometimes (but NOT Manhattan except as a visitor). What really bugs me about the City is hard to describe. Its the almost zero regard for the quality of life for its residents.

Prime example of that is the mentality of we already have 8 million people, lets try to squeeze in a million more. Developers love that.

Old 05-15-2021, 07:53 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Default Cities/States with love/hate relationship

Quote:

What about you?
New York City and New York State are very much up there.

I cannot think of a much more adverse situation then the damage & division to New York State politics by the creation of New York City, except perhaps Chicago to Illinois. Often its New York City and a few other places vs. the rest of New York State.

But its not just the politics. I am a former Queens resident and I still miss Queens sometimes (but NOT Manhattan except as a visitor). What really bugs me about the City is hard to describe. Its the almost zero regard for the quality of life for its residents. Prime example of that is the mentality of we already have 8 million people, lets try to squeeze in a million more.

New York City of course brings a lot of wealth and attention to New York State but at the cost of basically overshadowing the rest of the state. Which is a shame because New York State offers so much more then just Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City