Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Southern metro of 1m+ is most scenic?
Atlanta, GA 33 18.33%
Austin, TX 25 13.89%
Miami, FL 49 27.22%
Nashville, TN 22 12.22%
New Orleans, LA 6 3.33%
Tampa, FL 10 5.56%
Richmond, VA 12 6.67%
Washington, DC 13 7.22%
Other 10 5.56%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2021, 07:46 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,031,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Which gives off the perception that Austin is "treeless". Dallas to a lesser extent goes through the same thing.

I had an employee once who was from Midland, which I know is completely different than Austin or Dallas. She found the trees in the Southeast to be frightening due to their height.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2021, 08:05 AM

24,556 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
What does "Southern" mean in this context? If it's regional, it's between Austin and Miami. If it's cultural, Tampa nor Miami belong on the list.
Yeah. I looked at the list and wondered why Miami and Tampa were there.

Old 06-11-2021, 08:38 AM

11,785 posts, read 7,995,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
East Austin has nice foliage from the trees, but the general eastern Austin metro area does not (around the airport, Manor, Pflugerville, Hutto, etc.). Even going south near Kyle and Buda (east of 35) is similar. The Austin metro is more than just the city of Austin . And the Atlanta metro area does not have a single spot that looks similar to the ones I named from the Austin metro where you can see rolling prairie as far as the eye can see in some spots.

Maybe it was a slight over-exaggeration to call the eastern Austin metro area a treeless prairie when compared to ATL metro, but that was really a nitpick from my overall point that went on for several pages lol.
Yeah true, fair point on Manor, ect. I’m hardly out that way but it’s true that there are generally less trees out that way and east Austin metro (everything east of 130) is also home to several ranches as well.

Old 06-11-2021, 09:15 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,031,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

In my opinion, the South begins somewhere between Orlando and Gainesville.

Old 06-11-2021, 09:34 AM

2,223 posts, read 1,394,054 times
Quote:
Well that's not the notion that was made if you go back and read, but Austin posters have ran with it lol. If we were talking city limits then sure, but this thread is about metro areas and that's where Austin loses the tree battle even more to ATL.

Besides your link is bogus. There is no way San Fran or Dallas has more trees or more of a "tree canopy" than Houston or Nashville. What's the source?

I'd like to see the source on that link though because it feels very incomplete. I think the reason for the "steam" is because some posters forgot we were talking about metro areas so when I mentioned there were parts of Austin metro that were like a treeless prairie to me when compared to Atlanta (east of 35 and especially around the tollway, and as you head north), some Austinites disagreed. One even saying there used to be trees there 400 years ago as if that mattered.

The thing is that these areas are "metro Austin" only because the city grew to the point that suburban sprawl entered the formerly rural/agriculture areas outlying the city. As somebody who lives and works in the central part of the city, this is rather meaningless to me. I literally live adjacent to a forest (and 2/3 of my property is forest) and see a thick tree canopy anywhere I go. You can understand how hearing the area described as "treeless prairie" is not consistent with my life.

By the way, I live "east of 35". East of 35 has the thickest forests of all, as we have the deepest soil. That's the same reason why the area is primarily farmland once you get 10+ miles east of Austin (it's the most productive area to grow things in the ground).

Old 06-11-2021, 11:31 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Because both are southern.

Old 06-11-2021, 11:40 AM

17,150 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Because both are southern.
A missed concept among many here.

Old 06-11-2021, 11:54 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
The subject is scenery so why would you think in terms of the cultural South as opposed to the geographic South?

Old 06-11-2021, 12:07 PM

592 posts, read 589,967 times
One more image of Nashville.

https://up-bucket-0.s3.amazonaws.com...e413355d57.jpg

Old 06-11-2021, 02:15 PM

35 posts, read 20,929 times
Quote:
Well that's not the notion that was made if you go back and read, but Austin posters have ran with it lol. If we were talking city limits then sure, but this thread is about metro areas and that's where Austin loses the tree battle even more to ATL.

Besides your link is bogus. There is no way San Fran or Dallas has more trees or more of a "tree canopy" than Houston or Nashville. What's the source?

I'd like to see the source on that link though because it feels very incomplete. I think the reason for the "steam" is because some posters forgot we were talking about metro areas so when I mentioned there were parts of Austin metro that were like a treeless prairie to me when compared to Atlanta (east of 35 and especially around the tollway, and as you head north), some Austinites disagreed. One even saying there used to be trees there 400 years ago as if that mattered.
Here is the source of that graph. https://saportareport.com/atlantas-u...maria_saporta/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City