Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Southern metro of 1m+ is most scenic?
Atlanta, GA 33 18.33%
Austin, TX 25 13.89%
Miami, FL 49 27.22%
Nashville, TN 22 12.22%
New Orleans, LA 6 3.33%
Tampa, FL 10 5.56%
Richmond, VA 12 6.67%
Washington, DC 13 7.22%
Other 10 5.56%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 10:13 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,403,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Which of those cities you think would get votes on this particular issue?

Well, Charlotte would
All do over DC or the fla cities. Flat cities near the water are not scenic to me. Water view is boring an never changes and the humidity. Houston has tropical vegetation but would not make my top list
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2021, 10:21 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,650 times
Quote:
Even going by his definition there is no way that DFW has more shoreline than New Orleans.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the city's area is 350 square miles, of which 169 square miles is land and 181 square miles (52%) is water. Since 1932, Louisiana has lost more than 2,000 square miles of land – nearly the size of the state of Delaware.

Lake Lewisville, just north of Dallas has 233 miles of shoreline
Lake Grapevine - 60 miles
Lake Ray Hubbard - 111 miles
Joe Pool Lake - - 60 miles
Lake Lavon - 121 miles
Lake Ray Roberts - 158 miles

There are three other large lakes. a little farther out (60 miles of downtown Dallas) - Texoma, Cedar Creek (220 miles), Whitney (220 miles) and Tawakoni. Texoma is the biggest with 1,250 miles of shoreline.

I tried to find Lake Ponchatrain's shoreline but couldn't with certainty;

Old 06-09-2021, 10:24 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Not to mention, "Linear on one side" if a wildly inaccurate description of Tampa's "shoreline." There are three bays separating the three cities in the region. And then there is the gulf.
I listed several lakes in metro DFW with their shoreline miles. Just prove me wrong by listing bays/gulf coast shore miles for Tampa/SP. Yea you have the Gulf but that only goes so far north/south to be designated metro Tampa.

Old 06-09-2021, 10:30 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the city's area is 350 square miles, of which 169 square miles is land and 181 square miles (52%) is water. Since 1932, Louisiana has lost more than 2,000 square miles of land – nearly the size of the state of Delaware.

Lake Lewisville, just north of Dallas has 233 miles of shoreline
Lake Grapevine - 60 miles
Lake Ray Hubbard - 111 miles
Joe Pool Lake - - 60 miles
Lake Lavon - 121 miles
Lake Ray Roberts - 158 miles

There are three other large lakes. a little farther out (60 miles of downtown Dallas) - Texoma, Cedar Creek (220 miles), Whitney (220 miles) and Tawakoni. Texoma is the biggest with 1,250 miles of shoreline.

I tried to find Lake Ponchatrain's shoreline but couldn't with certainty;
Have you seen the NOLA coastline? Take a look at how rugged the southeast Louisiana coastline is and compare that to the handful of lakes in DFW.

We are not just talking just Lake Pontchartrain here, or the Mississippi, New Orleans extends to the coast. You could spend days adding up all this coastline based on your measurement criteria

https://images.app.goo.gl/6bk9r27K1teyTYHK9

Old 06-09-2021, 10:41 AM

1,168 posts, read 776,131 times
Quote:
Have you seen the NOLA coastline? Take a look at how rugged the southeast Louisiana coastline is and compare that to the handful of lakes in DFW.

We are not just talking just Lake Pontchartrain here, or the Mississippi, New Orleans extends to the coast. You could spend days adding up all this coastline based on your measurement criteria

https://images.app.goo.gl/6bk9r27K1teyTYHK9
That looks like more than just the New Orleans metro to me, but either way it does look like it has an edge in terms of shoreline.

So DFW may not be first but still has an exceptional amount of access to water, especially for an inland metro.

Old 06-09-2021, 11:13 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
That looks like more than just the New Orleans metro to me, but either way it does look like it has an edge in terms of shoreline.

So DFW may not be first but still has an exceptional amount of access to water, especially for an inland metro.
Just focus on the nola parts then.
It is waaay more than an edge

https://images.app.goo.gl/yEqsdqrZECHo5UPy5

https://images.app.goo.gl/2BwGGGwycksNJzqRA

https://images.app.goo.gl/bztetWDAtoSm98SK6

Its not even a contest

Old 06-09-2021, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Just focus on the nola parts then.
It is waaay more than an edge

https://images.app.goo.gl/yEqsdqrZECHo5UPy5

https://images.app.goo.gl/2BwGGGwycksNJzqRA

https://images.app.goo.gl/bztetWDAtoSm98SK6

Its not even a contest
Lol why didn't you just post the NOLA parts in the first place?

What you're showing is apparently much more shoreline but its hard to be certain without measurements. And keep in mind no one is saying you're wrong, we're just asking for numbers before you go dismissing someone else's claim.

Old 06-09-2021, 11:40 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
I'm confused as to why we're even using "shoreline" as a metric to validate the claim that "DFW [supposedly] has more water within a 40 mile radius than any of the metros listed" (which is false.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
I listed several lakes in metro DFW with their shoreline miles. Just prove me wrong by listing bays/gulf coast shore miles for Tampa/SP. Yea you have the Gulf but that only goes so far north/south to be designated metro Tampa.
How are we defining shoreline? The Tampa Bay area is FULL of lakes, some large, some small. There are multiple rivers running through it, including the Hillsborough River. Springs all over the place, including all of the bayous and rivers in Tarpon Springs. Adding everything up would take forever. There are countless bodies of water in the area.

Old 06-09-2021, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I'm confused as to why we're even using "shoreline" as a metric to validate the claim that "DFW [supposedly] has more water within a 40 mile radius than any of the metros listed" (which is false.)

How are we defining shoreline? The Tampa Bay area is FULL of lakes, some large, some small. There are multiple rivers running through it, including the Hillsborough River. Springs all over the place, including all of the bayous and rivers in Tarpon Springs. Adding everything up would take forever. There are countless bodies of water in the area.
Walker will have to clarify, but I took his claim to mean that DFW has the most water that's readily accessible to the general population; not that it actually has the most water in terms of surface area

Old 06-09-2021, 12:30 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Wait, what? Where is there treeless rolling prairie in Austin, TX? I think Atlanta definitely has taller trees, thanks to more consistent rainfall (and compared to West Austin, deeper soil). However, the overall density of trees is pretty similar. Both cities are very naturally forested.
East of 35 and also north of Parmer. Even the trees where Austin has a lot aren't nearly as tall and there is no way the density is the same. You should check out a map. Atlanta is literally built in a forest. Austin was not. Going by your logic, the north Houston suburbs have similar tree cover as Austin... but anyone who has been to both know that isn't true. Are you saying Austin is also as forested as Huntsville TX, which has similar geography as Atlanta?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
Walker will have to clarify, but I took his claim to mean that DFW has the most water that's readily accessible to the general population; not that it actually has the most water in terms of surface area
Then why are you posting about shorelines if you really mean water that's more accessible to residents of a metro? I'd say the Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic Ocean has a lot more accessible water than the DFW area lakes, which some of these coastal metros also have local man-made lakes too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City