Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Southern metro of 1m+ is most scenic?
Atlanta, GA 33 18.33%
Austin, TX 25 13.89%
Miami, FL 49 27.22%
Nashville, TN 22 12.22%
New Orleans, LA 6 3.33%
Tampa, FL 10 5.56%
Richmond, VA 12 6.67%
Washington, DC 13 7.22%
Other 10 5.56%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 03:28 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The Chattahoochee River forms Atlanta's northwestern border and there's certainly water recreation to be had there.

Other options for water-based recreation in the metro area:

https://atlanta.curbed.com/maps/best...r-holes-summer
https://www.ajc.com/lifestyles/fitne...mNBjjwDqa8lMM/
I’m aware, but when you’re in “Atlanta” you’d have to go searching for those things. They don’t enhance the scenery of the actual city like what other cities has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2021, 03:41 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I’m aware, but when you’re in “Atlanta” you’d have to go searching for those things. They don’t enhance the scenery of the actual city like what other cities has.
You made a point concerning water-based recreation in areas surrounding the city also. Atlanta has that.

Old 06-04-2021, 03:55 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Sure they do. Maybe you have to search a little more but places like the Chattahooche River are gorgeous and technically make up part of Atlanta's Western border. And since this is about metros as a whole, Atlanta does have places like Lake Lanier and Lake Allatoona which aren't too far away. But even without water Atlanta has more than enough scenery in the city with all the hills and trees. Piedmont Park is right in the core and very scenic.

Last edited by Mezter; 06-04-2021 at 04:05 PM..

Old 06-04-2021, 04:03 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Atlanta loses out to Austin due to no water recreation downtown or in the areas surrounding the city.
And what exactly do you call the beautiful Chattahoochee River?

Old 06-04-2021, 04:47 PM

176 posts, read 174,682 times
I've been to all the cities on the list, and while all are beautiful. I just feel like most of them share the similar characterstics in topography, vegetation, architecture/built environment, and scale. I'm absolutely not saying they look alike and are not uniquely stunning. They are all deserving of being called scenic. However, many of their best "scenic assets" are reminscent of other Southern cities - and to other cities in the US.

I just watched the most popular drone videos of each city just to confirm my observations to myself. Of course, drone videos don't convey the true beauty of a place, but they did give me an overview and remind me what I like about each city visually. My take is if you showed them to foreigners who have no personal experiences with the cities on they would have a hard time distinguishing most of them. However, DC and Miami really stood out and contrasted the other in almost every way (topography, vegetation, architecture/built environment, and scale). Polar opposites and visually striking. They were always two of my most beautiful in the USA.

My poll vote goes to Miami - I live here. My preference. I just love the combo of colors, sea, sand, sun, and city. It's even scenic under water!

Old 06-04-2021, 05:41 PM

176 posts, read 174,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
You have to consider the Metro. Miami has no equivalent to cool areas like Tarpon Springs, Safety Harbor or Gulfport. The beaches and their sugar white sand are far superior to Miami, and the only area marred by walls of highrise condos is Sand Key. I consider it superior by almost every metric.
I grew up in the Tampa Bay area. Never thought of those 3 as really cool - laid back, quiet, and yes pretty. Cool? not really. Maybe not your style but Metro Miami has its share of its cool places stretching from the Keys to Palm Beach.

Tampa Bay has powdery squeeky white sand, but by almost every other metric I think Miami wins it and its why I live here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLegend2000 View Post
Exactly. I said Tampa St Pete area. Not just Tampa Bay. Look at the area in its entirety vs Miami metro. It's not even close. Tampa St Pete area can hold its own in competition with San Diego. Miami is nice but not Tampa St Pete area nice. Even parks and lakes are beautiful. I will say, I like Miami better but that has to do with the vibe, culture, and diversity more than it does scenery.

I have family that recently relocated to Tampa area. I've visited twice and it's ruined my desire to return to Miami unless I'm getting a great deal or I'm there for an event.

Perfect example.. friends want to meet this weekend in Miami. SoBe hotel prices over $300/night, I'm thinking about all the expensive drink prices and unwillingness to allow pedestrians walkijg the strip to use the bathroom (paying customers only)..... that's hard to choose over Tampa
Brickell, South Beach Deco District, Coconut Grove, Wynwood/Design District, Coral Gables, Key Biscayne, the Everglades, ft Lauderdale, Palm Beach, and the Keys. I think Metro Miami is more visually scenic and atmospherically varied than it gets credit for. Most tourists just see the beach.

I agree with you about the "experience" and it is expensive, but this thread is about being scenic, yes?

EDIT:

I just saw the "natural" proviso in the question, but my vote would still be Miami - Instead of hills and changes in elevations my preference is for the blue waters, islands, palms, mangroves, and glades. To each his own. There is vegetation down here unique only to this area in the cont. USA As is the diverse and exotic wildlife in abundance (I consider that natural scenery). I really appreciate the Everglades and its quiet beauty. Its uniqueness and importance to birds and other wildlife make it even more special. And as I have already observed our reef and underwater environment is unquestionably the best in this hemisphere.

Last edited by sobchbud1; 06-04-2021 at 07:03 PM..

Old 06-04-2021, 05:44 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
I’ve been to all of these except Miami, but based on images I’ve seen it would have to be pretty high on the list. I like places with lots of waterfront.

My vote for “other” goes to Little Rock. The river with the bluffs and hills is probably as nice as any of the others for me. They also have wetlands in the east and forests in the south parts of the metro. Lots of variety.

Old 06-04-2021, 06:55 PM

1,168 posts, read 776,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Which of those cities you think would get votes on this particular issue?

Well, Charlotte would
It doesn't matter. I'm simply pointing out that there are valid options missing from the poll. New Orleans only got one vote but it's still up there. There are only 4 more metros that needed to be listed in place of "other".

As far as whether or not Houston or Dallas can ever be called scenic, well I'm not about to beat that dead horse. But San Antonio has some of the same Hill Country scenery as Austin, so its absence is glaring. Atleast to those of us familiar with it.

Old 06-04-2021, 07:42 PM

1,168 posts, read 776,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
There are only 4 more metros that needed to be listed in place of "other".
On second thought we're also missing Virginia Beach, Raleigh, Jacksonville, Orlando, Memphis and Birmingham. So maybe having an other option is appropriate, but the larger metros should have atleast been included in lieu of the smaller ones

Old 06-04-2021, 07:54 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
And what exactly do you call the beautiful Chattahoochee River?
It is a very scenic area, but you can't beat the views of Austin on the water with the skyline against it and the hills in the background. Same with Nashville. I should have left "recreation" off, but water rec is huge in Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City