Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Southern metro of 1m+ is most scenic?
Atlanta, GA 33 18.33%
Austin, TX 25 13.89%
Miami, FL 49 27.22%
Nashville, TN 22 12.22%
New Orleans, LA 6 3.33%
Tampa, FL 10 5.56%
Richmond, VA 12 6.67%
Washington, DC 13 7.22%
Other 10 5.56%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2021, 02:22 PM

35 posts, read 20,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That list doesn't even have Seattle or Houston on it.
While it is surprising that Houston and Seattle aren't on this list perhaps they lack the amount of trees within their city limit. After all this is just one list I'm sure there are more that feature Houston/Seattle. Another thing about Houston is sure it's northern suburbs are heavily forested but that isn't the case uniformly throughout the metro the way it is in say Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2021, 03:13 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,300,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calipolo305 View Post
Here is a graph of the tree canopy's of certain cities in the U.S., not surprisingly Atlanta is number one but Austin is number six in the country. So yeah Austin's tree canopy is not quite on the same level as Atlanta but Austin is just outside the top five. So this notion that Austin is some treeless prairie is simply not true. https://farm2.static.flickr.com/1554...7f87c288_b.jpg
I love that Dallas ranks highly well. The “no trees” comments often seen on here is just false.

Old 06-11-2021, 03:53 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,410,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Just to elaborate on this a bit. Here are a couple of videos to compare the hillier cities. I think all of these cities are beautiful in their own regards and it just comes down to personal preference.

Austin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqCNt0-IT6k

Atlanta:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN2Fe9_aklE

Nashville:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1tVgZS_Gy0

Birmingham:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8udM4f9uSI
This first video of Austin covers east, southeast, central, north, and west Austin and all areas are completely covered in trees. Certain people in this thread literally has no idea what they are talking about. There are areas 30 miles outside of Austin in Georgetown and Kyle that do have some prairielands and deforestation due to suburban developments, but still have consistent tree cover throughout. The area surrounding the airport also has less trees due to surrounding agriculture, but still have consistent tree cover throughout.

Old 06-11-2021, 04:33 PM

592 posts, read 590,653 times
Quote:
Read the link and it doesn't look like they explain their methodology or maybe I'm missing something. I'm having a hard time believing cities like New York, Chicago, San Francisco are more forested than Nashville, Birmingham, Raleigh, Cincinnati, Louisville etc. The only trees I've seen in New York are in Central Park and outer boroughs like Queens and Staten Island. Heck, I thought Philly was more forested than New York. Chicago has trees but not the abundance you find in most southern cities and other midwestern cities, not a city I would classify as heavily forested.

Seems like they randomly pulled some city names from a hat and made a graph.

Last edited by jkc2j; 06-11-2021 at 05:20 PM..

Old 06-11-2021, 05:05 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,033,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc2j View Post
Read the link and it doesn't look like they explain their methodology or maybe I'm missing something. I'm having a hard time believing cities like New York, Chicago, San Francisco are more forested than Nashville, Birmingham, Raleigh, Cincinnati, Louisville etc. The only trees I've seen in New York are in Central Park and outer boroughs like Queens and Staten Island. Heck, I thought Philly was more forested than New York. Chicago has trees but not the abundance you find in most southern cities and other midwestern cities, not a city I would classify as heavily forested.

Yep. Whoever says New York, Chicago, and San Francisco are more forested are smoking copious amounts of crack.

Old 06-11-2021, 07:35 PM

11,785 posts, read 7,999,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I love that Dallas ranks highly well. The “no trees” comments often seen on here is just false.
What I personally find odd is that Dallas technically has more forest cover than Chicago, San Francisco, and Los Angeles, but you never get these kind of comments for those cities.

Old 06-12-2021, 04:30 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
This first video of Austin covers east, southeast, central, north, and west Austin and all areas are completely covered in trees. Certain people in this thread literally has no idea what they are talking about. There are areas 30 miles outside of Austin in Georgetown and Kyle that do have some prairielands and deforestation due to suburban developments, but still have consistent tree cover throughout. The area surrounding the airport also has less trees due to surrounding agriculture, but still have consistent tree cover throughout.
No it doesnt. I was just in Austin twice this past winter. Unless a whole bunch of trees sprouted since then, there is not "consistent trees throughout" by the airport, Manor, Kyle, etc. It is a noticeable difference if you come from an actual area with a lot of trees. Also the trees are definitely hodge-podge and mostly prairie on that side of the Austin metro. There is no denying it.

We all know the city of Austin itself has better tree cover. No one said the city of Austin was treeless and I even said west of 35 Austin has a lot of trees.

Old 06-12-2021, 08:05 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
While it is surprising that Houston and Seattle aren't on this list perhaps they lack the amount of trees within their city limit. After all this is just one list I'm sure there are more that feature Houston/Seattle. Another thing about Houston is sure it's northern suburbs are heavily forested but that isn't the case uniformly throughout the metro the way it is in say Atlanta.
That is true compared to Atlanta but I’m going to bet it is more uniformly compared to Dallas which is on the list.

Old 06-13-2021, 12:16 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That is true compared to Atlanta but I’m going to bet it is more uniformly compared to Dallas which is on the list.
The photo and link posted is just one list. There are several lists, including this one that has Tampa as first (Tampa wasn't on the list Calipolo305 posted): https://www.businessinsider.com/citi...t-trees-2017-2

Shows how much these lists mean.

Old 06-13-2021, 11:35 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Coming from an area with lots of trees, I don't get the obsession with trees here. If Hill Country had a ton of trees, it wouldn't be Hill Country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City