Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has better natural scenery? inside the beltway DC vs Atlanta (ITP)
Atlanta 58 47.15%
DC 65 52.85%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 12:39 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,025,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
DC: Atlanta has nothing compared to the cliffs overlooking the Potomac and Great Falls.
Here we go.....Yes it does.
Maybe not from the road but yes it does. The Chattahoochie River
I would give it to those over the Potomac but for clarity of the statement made Atlanta does have something comparable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
My initial thought was Atlanta because it has more trees, but when you add in the Potomac and a larger variety of trees, as well as more trees that change color (cherry blossoms anyone?), I think that it's DC.
More trees that change color?
Cherry Trees arent native to DC .Atlanta has Dogwoods,Magnolia. native Crabapple Trees etc.

Old 06-10-2021, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I vote DC...

Atlanta has no natural water... sorry. Plus the Chesapeake Bay is within the DC metro. So yea. DC hands down.

And yes to the above. Rock Creek Park is beautiful. Atlanta has nothing to compare in the city limits.
Do people really think there is nor natural water in Atlanta?What is the Chattahoochee then? Unlike many of DC waters ,Chattahoochoe you can swim in. Its not illegal like DCs waterways
Quote:
First things first: It is illegal to swim in any of D.C.'s waterways. Since 1971, District law has banned swimming or wading in the Potomac and Anacostia Rivers as well as Rock Creek. Violating the law is punishable by a $300 fine or 10 days in jail.
Quote:
Nearby, newly installed signs in English and Spanish warned about the reason why swimming is outlawed: Bacteria. This isn't some Footloose-style ban on fun — according to standards set by the Environmental Protection Agency, the city's waterways are very polluted.
https://www.npr.org/local/305/2020/0...ys%20in%20jail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK7JNnO0BKo

There was a hit Country sound in the 90s by Alan Jackson:Chattahoochie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW5UEW2kYvc

Last edited by CleverOne; 06-10-2021 at 01:41 PM..

Old 06-10-2021, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I vote DC...

Atlanta has no natural water... sorry. Plus the Chesapeake Bay is within the DC metro. So yea. DC hands down.

And yes to the above. Rock Creek Park is beautiful. Atlanta has nothing to compare in the city limits.
You not making yourself look good by your ignorance on the subject

Old 06-10-2021, 01:07 PM

Atlanta for the sole reason that it is a city that even in its less popular or even hoods,you will find forested lush neighborhoods with lots of natural fauna lining creeks,streams and rocky cliffs and hills. You cant say the same about DC. Its far too urban but I think its does good my urban city standards in its natural scenery. Atlanta just does it better overall while DC does it better in the planned parts where the urbanity meets the natural lay of the land. Most people talk about the Potomac because its very visible with all the bridges and road ways that cris corss it. Its hard to miss or beat. Thats what it was designed for. To be inspiring. Same cant be said by those parts that just kinda grew and not part of the inspirational designs laid out by its planners.

Old 06-10-2021, 01:07 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
The Chesapeake Bay is more substantial than any lake in the Atlanta Metro.

I pick DC.
I'm not talking about a lake, I'm talking about The gorgeous Chattahoochee River. It's much of the Western boundary of Atlanta City limits. It's beautiful, and is a National Recreational Area, maintained and patrolled by federal Park Rangers. You claimed there was nothing comparable to Rock Creek Park here. This river makes Rock Creek look like a tiny stream, like it basically is.

It's just not cool to vote against places you've never been to, it's not a good look to be so factually wrong.

Last edited by JMatl; 06-10-2021 at 01:16 PM..

Old 06-10-2021, 01:23 PM

Lots of trails like the Preachtree Creek Greenway and the Proctor Creek Greenway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxYG3R0MYcQ

Proctor Creek is adjacent to the new Microsoft Campus that will soon be built along with the new Westside Park on the other end which will be almost double the size of Piedmont Park which is now the largest.
https://www.cbs46.com/news/westsides...99d1d8ae3.html

Old 06-10-2021, 01:34 PM

Atlanta Botanical Gardens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jefWOKwwNME

This is the Bamboo Forest in the Chattahoochie River National Recreational area

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfwymbXa07o

Old 06-10-2021, 02:07 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,900,194 times
City Limit: DC
Metro: Atlanta

Old 06-11-2021, 09:17 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,391,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I'm not talking about a lake, I'm talking about The gorgeous Chattahoochee River. It's much of the Western boundary of Atlanta City limits. It's beautiful, and is a National Recreational Area, maintained and patrolled by federal Park Rangers. You claimed there was nothing comparable to Rock Creek Park here. This river makes Rock Creek look like a tiny stream, like it basically is.

It's just not cool to vote against places you've never been to, it's not a good look to be so factually wrong.
Rock Creek is a tiny stream.

The Potomac is quite large.

If we are talking MSA, The Potomac has beautiful areas such as Great Falls right outside of DC city limits. Beautiful, beautiful portion of the Potomac.

+ DC MSA has the Chesapeake Bay.

I’m not comparing those to the chattahoochee River btw. Just agreeing - Rock Creek is a stream...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City