Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has better natural scenery? inside the beltway DC vs Atlanta (ITP)
Atlanta 58 47.15%
DC 65 52.85%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2021, 06:28 PM

403 posts, read 295,700 times

Advertisements

The Atlanta metro has nothing like the Chesapeake Bay. And NOVA is also gorgeous with its Mountains and Lakes.

Easy win to DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2021, 07:08 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,025,416 times
This poll being neck and neck just reinforces why I have always felt comfortable in DC coming from Atlanta. So much of its natural setting reminds me of Atlanta. This is a a very good match of my two favorite cities

Old 06-12-2021, 04:32 PM

4,601 posts, read 2,992,254 times
Default at this moment, the score is 42-42

This is a surprise to me... I lived in DC long ago, but haven't visited ATL.
If it's tied with DC for scenery, it must be a very attractive city.

Old 06-12-2021, 09:42 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,280,800 times
I tend to think of natural beauty as being some combination of: water, topography, and vegetation.

Water- DC fairly easily wins this one.
Topography- IDK, the topographies seems somewhat similar in that they are fairly rolling, but lack the massive hills that you get in a place like Pittsburgh. Atlanta's hills seem a little bigger on average than DCs. But, the river creates some large escarpments in DC. I don't know that Atlanta has hills you can see like the
Anacostia hills. I'm not sure, but it also seems like DC has better vistas again along the escarpments in Anacostia and Arlington.

Vegetation- Atlanta clearly has more vegetation. This may partially be offset by the DC regions larger collection of natural areas and parks. More of Atlanta's forest is privately owned land, so it's harder to explore.

So I guess I would lean toward DC because of the clear advantage on water, while topography and vegetation is more of a mixed picture. But, I'm not familiar enough with Atlanta to say for sure.

Old 06-12-2021, 10:12 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,769,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
I tend to think of natural beauty as being some combination of: water, topography, and vegetation.

Water- DC fairly easily wins this one.
Topography- IDK, the topographies seems somewhat similar in that they are fairly rolling, but lack the massive hills that you get in a place like Pittsburgh. Atlanta's hills seem a little bigger on average than DCs. But, the river creates some large escarpments in DC. I don't know that Atlanta has hills you can see like the
Anacostia hills. I'm not sure, but it also seems like DC has better vistas again along the escarpments in Anacostia and Arlington.

Vegetation- Atlanta clearly has more vegetation. This may partially be offset by the DC regions larger collection of natural areas and parks. More of Atlanta's forest is privately owned land, so it's harder to explore.

So I guess I would lean toward DC because of the clear advantage on water, while topography and vegetation is more of a mixed picture. But, I'm not familiar enough with Atlanta to say for sure.
Good points. I'm not that familiar with Atlanta, does it have a nice drive in like going from the Dc beltway to DC via the Geo Washington Parkway? Especially near dusk -- that is just a really great drive with the Potomac a few hundred feet below, and then the city appears from behind the tree canopy as you wind towards it through Virginia.

Old 06-13-2021, 04:26 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Good points. I'm not that familiar with Atlanta, does it have a nice drive in like going from the Dc beltway to DC via the Geo Washington Parkway? Especially near dusk -- that is just a really great drive with the Potomac a few hundred feet below, and then the city appears from behind the tree canopy as you wind towards it through Virginia.
I lived in Atlanta before, and it's scenic throughout the metro with trees, nice flora, and hills in many places. But inside the perimeter Atlanta compared to inside 495/ Beltway gives the edge to DC. The Potomac really shapes or creates a feel of a more natural setting of a major river meeting a major city, creating a more breathtaking scene IMO.

There's the Clara Barton Parkway and Cabin John/ Glen Echo on one side that eventually lead downstream to Georgetown and Rock Creek Park and trail. On the opposite side there's GW Parkway Potomac overlook stops to take in the scenery for miles. Then you have Roosevelt Island sandwiched between the Rosslyn skyline and Georgetown Harbor as you come down further. All of these are the most "naturally scenic" parts of the Potomac River inside of 495. Then as the river opens up between Washington and Arlington, you come down into the monumental core of the region being able to see the man made scenery from either boat rides or other overlooks spots and trails in either DC/Arlington/ or Alexandria. The GW Parkway provides scenes of much of this, and runs all the way down from 495 and slithers down through all of this on the VA side until Old Town Alexandria.

https://www.nps.gov/pohe/planyourvis...referenced.pdf

Last edited by the resident09; 06-13-2021 at 04:36 AM..

Old 07-05-2021, 10:41 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,280,800 times
I thought this video did a good job of showing DC's water, topography and tree cover. Obviously, its not SF or Seattle, but it has a subtle nature beauty with the rivers, the gently rolling hills and lots of green space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ_tWcuvDY4

Last edited by jpdivola; 07-05-2021 at 10:57 PM..

Old 07-05-2021, 11:35 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
I’d agree that DC takes it if we’re going by the boundaries set. But I’d give the slight edge to Atlanta on a metro level

Old 07-07-2021, 05:04 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,539,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I'm talking about The gorgeous Chattahoochee River.
And I'm talking about The gorgeous Potomac River. It's much of the Western boundary of Washington City limits. It's beautiful, and is an entire series of National Parks, maintained and patrolled by federal Park Rangers. You claimed there was nothing comparable to the Chattahoochee River here. This river makes the Chattahoochee River look like a tiny stream, like it basically is.

Multiple National Park Service units are responsible for the Potomac River inside the Beltway:
Potomac Heritage National Scenic Trail
Chesapeake & Ohio Canal National Historical Park
George Washington Memorial Parkway (nice video of local scenery)
Glen Echo Park
Oxon Cove Park & Oxon Hill Farm
National Mall and Memorial Parks

Additional NPS sites also maintain some Potomac frontage, notably memorial parks for Teddy Roosevelt and LBJ.

Last edited by paytonc; 07-07-2021 at 05:12 PM..

Old 07-07-2021, 05:24 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
And I'm talking about The gorgeous Potomac River. It's much of the Western boundary of Washington City limits. It's beautiful, and is an entire series of National Parks, maintained and patrolled by federal Park Rangers. You claimed there was nothing comparable to the Chattahoochee River here. This river makes the Chattahoochee River look like a tiny stream, like it basically is.

Multiple National Park Service units are responsible for the Potomac River inside the Beltway:
Potomac Heritage National Scenic Trail
Chesapeake & Ohio Canal National Historical Park
George Washington Memorial Parkway (nice video of local scenery)
Glen Echo Park
Oxon Cove Park & Oxon Hill Farm
National Mall and Memorial Parks

Additional NPS sites also maintain some Potomac frontage, notably memorial parks for Teddy Roosevelt and LBJ.
I have seen the Potomac, it's beautiful. The Chattahoochee is also under Federal control, thanks to Jimmy Carter. It's National Recreational Land, maintained and patrolled by the same Park Service. To minimize it as a 'tiny stream'' reeks of petty jealousy. Get back to me when you can catch rainbow trout inside the Beltway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City