Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 03:42 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times

Advertisements

NBA Finals Edition! In honor of this unique matchup, where it will be exciting to see a first in a long time or ever winner, either way.

For the purposes of this matchup, I'll say that Metro boundaries are valid for comparison for this subject. So, Milwaukee, Waukesha, Ozaukee and Washington for Milwaukee, and Maricopa and Pinal for Phoenix. There's a size disparity, but at the same time, I think that Milwaukee might feel at least as urban as Phoenix itself does, which makes it an interesting matchup and comparison, that will largely be swung based on personal tastes and preferences. I know that the "Trump Card" for Phoenix would be the Grand Canyon, or for Milwaukee would be proximity to Chicago, so my goal is really excluding those further flung areas and just focusing on what one would do to enjoy either immediate region.

Factors to consider, as per usual
1. Urban Form/Neighborhoods
2. Arts/Culture
3. Attractions/Entertainment
4. Safety/Comfort
5. Traffic/Transit
6. Day Trips/Surrounding Communities (as mentioned, within like 45-60 minutes radius)
7. Parks/Scenery
8. Food/Drink
9. Overall Preference
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2021, 04:07 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,279,917 times
Milwaukee is a more traditionally urban by a long shot and its lakefront setting is beautify. But, Phoenix is a far larger city with a lot more to do. People don't go to Phoenix for the traditional big city walking vacation, but it is a legitimate tourism destination with the Scottsdale resort scene.

1. Urban Form/Neighborhoods- Milwaukee is easily the more traditionally urban city. But, it isn't so big or urban that it would really be a Chicago/Boston style tourism city.
2. Arts/Culture- Milwaukee has more guided age cultural amenities. But, Phoenix being far larger at this point has more to do.
3. Attractions/Entertainment- see above
4. Safety/Comfort- unclear. Probably Phoenix in that tourists are mostly in the resort areas of Scottsdale.
5. Traffic/Transit- Probably Milwaukee in that is has a more walkable core area.
6. Day Trips/Surrounding Communities (as mentioned, within like 45-60 minutes radius)- really depends on if you prefer mountains or water. I would say Phoenix is more unique in the US. Las Vegas is the only other major desert city. There are tons of water cities.
7. Parks/Scenery-
see above
8. Food/Drink- Phoenix give its larger size. Although Milwaukee has some cool classic old school places/
9. Overall Preference- For a tourist, I think Phoenix has more to offer. Phoenix is a legit tourism center with golf, hiking, arts, resorts. Milwaukee is more of a random weekend getaway type place. I would probably rather go for a summer weekend, but if asked to pick a vacation, I would probably choose Phoenix.

Old 07-05-2021, 04:18 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
1. Urban Form/Neighborhoods: Milwaukee
2. Arts/Culture: Milwaukee
3. Attractions/Entertainment: Milwaukee
4. Safety/Comfort: maybe Phoenix
5. Traffic/Transit: Phoenix, because Milwaukee drivers are in dire need of nerve pills.
6. Day Trips/Surrounding Communities (as mentioned, within like 45-60 minutes radius): Milwaukee
7. Parks/Scenery: Milwaukee for parks, a slight edge to Phoenix for scenery, but Lake Michigan is no slouch.
8. Food/Drink: Phoenix.
9. Overall Preference: Milwaukee, because of the old-world style, affordability, attractions, and my goodness the weather.... it's 90 here in Wisconsin today but we should be having highs in the 60's by Wednesday. Months on end of 80-90+++ is a no-go. A day or two once in a great while is about all I can handle, humid or not. Besides, we also have golf, art, and resorts but without the heat. And beaches. Can't forget the beaches. Water just about everywhere.

Old 07-05-2021, 05:09 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,955,498 times
Are we talking just during the Finals run, or in general?
July in Phoenix is HOT. As a suns fan, I would jump on the opportunity to attend an away game in Milwaukee

Just in general I think Phoenix can dominate in any category. Phoenix has no answer for Lake Michigan though. The Milwaukee beer scene is also on point.

Old 07-06-2021, 07:58 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,510,918 times
Phoenix

Old 07-06-2021, 08:42 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,730,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
Are we talking just during the Finals run, or in general?
July in Phoenix is HOT. As a suns fan, I would jump on the opportunity to attend an away game in Milwaukee

Just in general I think Phoenix can dominate in any category. Phoenix has no answer for Lake Michigan though. The Milwaukee beer scene is also on point.

Seems like it's in general. Phoenix doesn't have a Lake Michigan but Milwaukee barely has a hill nearby the city another plus is Phoenix in the summer has the high country within a 2ish hour drive depending on where you're going.

Old 07-06-2021, 09:13 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,861,254 times
Phoenix wins based on pure volume of things to do. Milwaukee seems like a decent place to visit, but living in Chicago's shadow makes it less attractive to me in this match-up. Phoenix is definitely more of a regional destination.

Old 07-06-2021, 09:29 AM

457 posts, read 349,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Phoenix wins based on pure volume of things to do. Milwaukee seems like a decent place to visit, but living in Chicago's shadow makes it less attractive to me in this match-up. Phoenix is definitely more of a regional destination.
I don't agree with this. Milwaukee is certainly underrated and has a quieter brand living in the shadow of Chicago. I think Milwaukee may be the most under-rated, unsung city in the country, and certainly on this website. It is also artificially smaller on paper with a very compact metro. In reality Milwaukee should be compared to 2 million+ metro's.

Phoenix has no answer to the built environment of Milwaukee, or the unique culture. I lived in Phoenix for a few years and it's just not that particularly interesting of an area. I'd like to know what the volume of things to do in Phoenix are that put it in another class than MKE? Almost everything you do in Phoenix requires an automobile. The downtown and surrounding urban neighborhoods are not horrible, but they aren't a tourist draw like Milwaukee's core. That doesn't even count the very busy summer time beaches that are right downtown Milwaukee. Milwaukee is also no slouch for restaurants. All of the things I've seen referenced to do for PHX are either the high end resorts in Scottsdale, or two hours away in the high country. You don't need two hours to get into the Northwoods vacation country near Milwaukee. I personally prefer the dense vegetation and lake culture that is ubiquitous to the upper Midwest over the arid, less swimmable Arizona highlands.

IMO this is a much more competitive comparison than folks are giving it credit for. I think a general lack of exposure is at play.

Old 07-06-2021, 09:48 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landolakes90 View Post
I don't agree with this. Milwaukee is certainly underrated and has a quieter brand living in the shadow of Chicago. I think Milwaukee may be the most under-rated, unsung city in the country, and certainly on this website. It is also artificially smaller on paper with a very compact metro. In reality Milwaukee should be compared to 2 million+ metro's.

Phoenix has no answer to the built environment of Milwaukee, or the unique culture. I lived in Phoenix for a few years and it's just not that particularly interesting of an area. I'd like to know what the volume of things to do in Phoenix are that put it in another class than MKE? Almost everything you do in Phoenix requires an automobile. The downtown and surrounding urban neighborhoods are not horrible, but they aren't a tourist draw like Milwaukee's core. That doesn't even count the very busy summer time beaches that are right downtown Milwaukee. Milwaukee is also no slouch for restaurants. All of the things I've seen referenced to do for PHX are either the high end resorts in Scottsdale, or two hours away in the high country. You don't need two hours to get into the Northwoods vacation country near Milwaukee. I personally prefer the dense vegetation and lake culture that is ubiquitous to the upper Midwest over the arid, less swimmable Arizona highlands.

IMO this is a much more competitive comparison than folks are giving it credit for. I think a general lack of exposure is at play.
This.
I'd definitely put Milwaukee on any Top 5 Most Underrated and Misunderstood list.
It's not Detroit. It's not St. Louis. It never fell hard like those. It still has a decent amount of manufacturing, which is a good thing in my opinion, but I'd hesitate to even call it rustbelt anymore with its diverse economy.
Phoenix would basically win the "best place to live a spread-out car-centered suburban lifestyle" between the two, maybe, but not much in the way of visiting, especially if we're strictly talking stuff in the cities themselves.
I say this as someone who generally likes Phoenix.

Old 07-06-2021, 10:20 AM

824 posts, read 711,683 times
I think Phoenix is very underwhelming attraction-wise for a city of 4.5 million people, however, its still hard for Milwaukee to actually have more appeal on the basis of size alone. There's a lot more options for shopping, hiking, and restaurants in Phoenix compared to Milwaukee even if everything else is underwhelming. I'd give a slight edge to Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City