Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Phoenix or Minneapolis
Phoenix 52 46.43%
Minneapolis 60 53.57%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 09:06 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,730,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
3 to 4 months of warm to hot weather is too short to enjoy the lakes?

Yes, that's very short to those of us in the south. 7-8 months with some year-round potential is more my speed. Phoenix is also at the base of the mogollon rim, so there is plenty of variety to be had within a short drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 11:01 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,750,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Yes, that's very short to those of us in the south. 7-8 months with some year-round potential is more my speed. Phoenix is also at the base of the mogollon rim, so there is plenty of variety to be had within a short drive.
Depends on what part of the south you're talking about.
Any place I've lived from deep south to upper midwest, swim season is primarily from Memorial Day to Labor Day.
Warmer places might add a week or so on either side of that. Colder places are more hit and miss in the early part of the season.

These two cities are fairly close in a lot of ways. It just comes down to whether or not you like hot or cold, or at least which one you can tolerate the most. Purely subjective on that front.
For me, the extremes of Minneapolis last for a shorter amount of time and aren't any more likely to keep me cooped up inside.
In the plus category for Phoenix would be that the city seems to be a little more politically balanced at the moment and it's in a region full of transplants from everywhere, which would make it a bit easier to blend in.
I genuinely kind of like the area on some level, but that heat...
I know southwestern people like to downplay the water situation, but it does freak me out a little and I don't know that I would want to add to the problem.

Old 08-04-2021, 12:24 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,730,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Depends on what part of the south you're talking about.
Any place I've lived from deep south to upper midwest, swim season is primarily from Memorial Day to Labor Day.
Warmer places might add a week or so on either side of that. Colder places are more hit and miss in the early part of the season.

These two cities are fairly close in a lot of ways. It just comes down to whether or not you like hot or cold, or at least which one you can tolerate the most. Purely subjective on that front.
For me, the extremes of Minneapolis last for a shorter amount of time and aren't any more likely to keep me cooped up inside.
In the plus category for Phoenix would be that the city seems to be a little more politically balanced at the moment and it's in a region full of transplants from everywhere, which would make it a bit easier to blend in.
I genuinely kind of like the area on some level, but that heat...
I know southwestern people like to downplay the water situation, but it does freak me out a little and I don't know that I would want to add to the problem.

My only southeast experiences are Houston and Florida, I can tell you swim season in both of those areas we're still very much in play after labor day. Relevant to this thread, swim season is well before memorial day and after labor day in Phoenix, the Six Flags Hurricane Harbor here closes in mid-October.

The problem with the water situation is that it's full of false narratives that are thrown around constantly. People love click-bait, with attention grabbing headlines and stories which have angles instead of being purely fact based. "Lake Mead is at ___ % of capacity" etc.. Those of us who us who do some real research on the topic understand the following.

1. Most water use in the southwest goes to agriculture, not households, less water in the region impacts a large amount of food supply for the entire country, especially winter vegetables, which are grown between Arizona and California.
2. Innovation and education has enabled Phoenix municipal water use to remain at the same level it was in the 1970s despite a large population gain since that time.
3. Plans are in place to deal with this and they're being enacted now, deliveries to the largest water users in the region, namely agriculture, will begin to go down next year.

This isn't downplaying anything, it's facts. The faucet in your house is not going to run out of water in the lifetime of anyone who is alive now. But should we all be concerned about global climate change and take any action possible to mitigate it? I'd say so.

Old 08-04-2021, 01:05 PM

1,348 posts, read 876,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Plenty warm is subjective. Today's water temperature in Minnesota is 73.4. According to the World Health Organization, 78-86 degrees is generally comfortable and safe, but I understand water should be at least 70 degrees - that's still quite chilly for me. The official water temperature required for Olympic swimming competitions is between 77-82 degrees.

National Center for Cold Water Safety - What is Cold Water?
Today's water temperature in Minnesota? What part of Minnesota and what lake?

Old 08-04-2021, 01:25 PM

8,609 posts, read 10,139,218 times
Quote:
Today's water temperature in Minnesota? What part of Minnesota and what lake?
You could have easily googled this:

https://seatemperature.info/minnesot...mperature.html

https://lakemonster.com/lake/MN/Lake...emperature-247

Old 08-04-2021, 02:46 PM

1,348 posts, read 876,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Why would I google when you can site your sources? Lol

Old 08-04-2021, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Why would I google when you can site your sources? Lol
I didn't realize daily water temperatures (which change daily) needed to be cited.

Old 08-04-2021, 05:36 PM

559 posts, read 1,323,253 times
The large lake that I was at in central Minnesota last weekend was like bath water. Well into the 80s

Old 08-04-2021, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaysos View Post
The large lake that I was at in central Minnesota last weekend was like bath water. Well into the 80s
It may have felt like bath water to you, but I doubt the water temperature was well into the 80s.

Old 08-04-2021, 06:55 PM

503 posts, read 799,599 times
Is water temperature really all that important? It's Summer so people get in it to escape the heat. Clearly a lot of people enjoy the lakes in the Twin Cities this time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City